Exercise/Tone while driving???

Options
I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for some things I may be able to do while driving that can help to tone and/or burn a few calories. I drive an hour each way to work so it would be great to be able to use at least some of that time to help improve my body!

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Dance, sing, chew gum, tap your feet, just try to keep moving as much as humanly possible while in a sitting-down-while-concentrating-on-not-dying mode.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Maybe drive a car with a manual transmission and no power steering.

Better yet, you can get one of these
    Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg
  • Saxmis
    Saxmis Posts: 84
    Options
    A great start would be just making sure that your posture is perfect! If your posture is good then you will automaticall look smaller and more toned. When I'm on the bus (I'm aware that driving requires more concentration that whilst being on a bus!) I do little, discrete things to help tone my body such as pulling in my abs and relasing them and tighetning my thigh and glute muscles to help tighten them. I will also fidget quite a bit, messing with my hands and tapping my feet etc. to keep my body moving. I know that it doesn't do much, but I feel better knowing that I'm moving a little.

Another alternative may be cycling to work each day, if that's something that is possible for you to do?
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Don't you think thats a little extreme? You should be more focused on not getting yourself killed by some idiot.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would focus on the road and worry about working out at another time.

You are risking too much just to burn a few calories, not worth it.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Kegels.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Kegel exercises?
    I'm too busy texting while driving to exercise... :laugh:
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe drive a car with a manual transmission and no power steering.

Better yet, you can get one of these
    Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg

Okay this just made me laugh! Where do you come up with this stuff?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Kegels.

My first thought too...

Other than that...focus on driving. People already drive like crap as it is.
  • pres2675
    pres2675 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Even better, get one of these: http://www.twike.com/

Burn fat, not fuel!
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    I would focus on the road and worry about working out at another time.

You are risking too much just to burn a few calories, not worth it.

I agree! Another thing is during the ride there put on some upbeat music to get your day started and end it with some calm classical to relax from the day. If your job has any stress to it the stress will put on weight, relax in the car but pay attention to the road. BE SAFE!! (Being alive and keeping others alive is more important than being thin).
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Focus on the road not your body? I mean sure you might burn a few extra calories, but I think you'd look better with the extra pounds than as a mangled corpse at the side of the road.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I would focus on the road and worry working out at another time. You are risking too much just to burn a few calories.
    ^^^ this. Seriously !

:laugh: I was going to say Yoga :noway: , but it may be illegal to practice while driving in some parts of the world. :laugh:

Driving get's the heart rate going (:mad: don't even ask how many calories burned, depends on traffic !) - you are burning cals even when sleeping so dont practice that one ! :laugh:
  • miclmiller
    miclmiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with post mentioning posture. I had 45 min commute and just worked on sitting up straight and not slouching (especially my neck). It does help your appearance and confidence. If you want a challenge keep your head on the headrest!
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I agree with post mentioning posture. I had 45 min commute and just worked on sitting up straight and not slouching (especially my neck). It does help your appearance and confidence. If you want a challenge keep your head on the headrest!

Not a bad idea either. I might try this.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I just yell at everyone and flip them the bird as I go by. Not sure if that burns anything, but it feels good.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Whenever I stop at a red light, I hold my abs in and hold it tight until the light turns green. My trainer suggested that one to me ;-)
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Whenever I stop at a red light, I hold my abs in and hold it tight until the light turns green. My trainer suggested that one to me ;-)

Good idea as well.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I googled for you and found this: http://www.mikestrawbridge.com/get-fit-while-driving.shtml

I recommend waiting for a red light and not doing these while the car is in motion.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i play the air drums at red lights. or the air guitar.

otherwise i'm (usually) paying attention to the road.