Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Can someone tell me how this works? Are there good ones under $100 on Amazon?

Replies

• taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just got one on Amazon for $105 (total cost, with shipping.) Its a Garmin FR60 Women's Black Fitness Watch Bundle (Includes Foot Pod, Heart Rate Monitor, and USB ANT Stick) I haven't gotten it yet but the reviews are what sold me. A lot of people on here really like Polar. That brand has good reviews as well. I was going to go with the timex ironman.. but a lot of reviews said it wasnt very accurate. (Im really into reviews, if you cant tell.) So, I would say either Polar or Garmin if you want accuracy. Hope this helps!
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    I'm not willing to spend $100 on it at this point so I wanted a cheaper one. Maybe next month.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Basically they come with a chest strap/watch and the strap wireless transmits your heart rate to the watch. Heart rate combined with a few personal factors(age, weight, gender, height and Vo2max) gives you an estimated calorie burn. There are someone that don't come with a chest strap, but they are not accurate for calories burned.

Polar is really popular. The Polar FT4 starts at 60, FT7 is around 75, FT40(last I checked on amazon) is 110, and the FT60 is about 125. Each HRM has different features and abilities so it depends on what you want it to do.

I started out with an FT7 which I loved but I wanted a more than just the basics so I went up to the FT60 which determines your Vo2max and has a training program.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    What's that?
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Check the Timex 5G971. That's the one I have and it gives you the basics plus calories burned. I got it on Amazon for $40. Consumer Reports gave it a 91 out of 100 if I recall correctly.
  • dad106
    Options
    What's that?

What do you mean "What's that"

I'm confused as to what you are confused on.
  • dad106
    Options
    Check the Timex 5G971. That's the one I have and it gives you the basics plus calories burned. I got it on Amazon for $40. Consumer Reports gave it a 91 out of 100 if I recall correctly.

Wrong! This is the worst HRM for calories burned.. Esp if you are women.

It assumes you are a male and thus gives you the calorie burn of one.. I had one and it told me I burned 580 calories for walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes at an incline.. Um yea, I think not!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had one that was a strap-free Mio Drive+ and I was worried that It was not getting an accurate reading because I had to keep checking my HR during my exericse plus it would beep everytime I checked my HR while working out so it was not really appropriate for certain situations (like trying to track calories in yoga class). I returned my Mio Drive+ and purchased a Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com for $60 that I should be getting tomorrow A coworker of mine has the Polar FT4 and uses it during cycling and kickboxing that she says works well.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to spend $100 on it at this point so I wanted a cheaper one. Maybe next month.
    Neither was I - figure out what brands or models you'd like to have (red the reviews on Amazon like one poster said - so helpful!), then watch the eBay auctions for them. I wanted either a Polar or New Balance with the chest strap - got a brand new New Balance N4 for $26. Have to be a little patient some times depending on the auctions and how high people bid them up, but it's worth it if you want to save some money.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Basically they come with a chest strap/watch and the strap wireless transmits your heart rate to the watch. Heart rate combined with a few personal factors(age, weight, gender, height and Vo2max) gives you an estimated calorie burn. There are someone that don't come with a chest strap, but they are not accurate for calories burned.

Polar is really popular. The Polar FT4 starts at 60, FT7 is around 75, FT40(last I checked on amazon) is 110, and the FT60 is about 125. Each HRM has different features and abilities so it depends on what you want it to do.

I started out with an FT7 which I loved but I wanted a more than just the basics so I went up to the FT60 which determines your Vo2max and has a training program.

vo2max - what is this?
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Neither was I - figure out what brands or models you'd like to have (red the reviews on Amazon like one poster said - so helpful!), then watch the eBay auctions for them. I wanted either a Polar or New Balance with the chest strap - got a brand new New Balance N4 for $26. Have to be a little patient some times depending on the auctions and how high people bid them up, but it's worth it if you want to save some money.

thx
  • dad106
    Options

vo2max - what is this?

Vo2max is basically a number that determines how fit that you are. The more fit you are, the higher the number.. the lower the number, the less fit you are.

It's important when estimating calories burned because fit people burn less than not fit people.
  • tjwanek
    tjwanek Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7, and really like it. It has just enough features to be useful, and not so many as to be confusing. And not too expensives.
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Have just been online tonight checking it out.. just want a basic one without a million bells and whistles..heart rate with calorie counting and am pretty much sold on the Polar FT7...now to find one at a reasonable price..I am looking under $100 too
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT4 for Christmas and it does everything I need it to do. I mainly wanted something to keep track of time elapsed, heart rate and calories burned. I love it and I feel much more confident about how many calories I'm actually burning when I work out. That one is around $60 on Amazon.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my own Polar FT40 from soap.com. They have a coupon code for 15% off your first purchase - so my Polar FT40 was only $93! Definitely worth checking out! It came in three days (free shipping!) and works great. Very happy with it and the service at soap.com!
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I've just got this one http://www.amazon.com/SIGMA-Balance-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B0012BCCCK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1327374327&sr=8-6

You can put in your age & gender, plus whether you are fit or fat. It works out calories burned but only once your heart rate goes over 100 and when the stop watch is running (great for me as I do Xbox Kinect stuff so can stop when switching activities etc...) it comes with a chest strap & also a handlebar mount.

Instruction manual is here if it's any help http://www.sigmasport.de/en_media/produkte/pulscomputer/onyx/onyx_easy/allgemein/visuals/ba_gb.pdf
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I bought my Polar FT4 off Amazon for $50 with free shipping and I LOVE it!