What was your last straw?

Options
Fit_Mama84
Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
I'm curious to see what was that last thing that pushed you enough to finally change your life and get in shape. Mine was being mistaken for someone at work who I thought was much heavier then I was. That was the motivation I needed to make a change.

Replies

• missy3479
    Options
    Mine was 8 years ago when I couldn't breathe well and was weighing in at 496 pounds. 8 years later almost 9 now, I am 360 pounds lighter.
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Far out that is an impressive weight loss, well done.

My "last straw" was when I was admitted acutely to hospital and needed my Gallbladder out. Have not looked back since, and feel great (25kgs less)
  • NNSSJSKR
    NNSSJSKR Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not fitting in my clothes while not affording to buy more. I could either invest the money in buying larger clothes, or invest the money in living a healthier lifestyle.
  • skydiamonds67
    skydiamonds67 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mine was 8 years ago when I couldn't breathe well and was weighing in at 496 pounds. 8 years later almost 9 now, I am 360 pounds lighter.

That is incredible! Way to go on your impressive weight-loss! :)
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Boredom, when I started working out I had been laid off for a few months and needed something just to get out of the house. The more I was out of the house, the more I wanted to be until I was spending 4+ hours at the gym a day, then the diet came in somewhere along the line.
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mine was realizing I had hit 100 lbs over what I was when I graduated
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    barely being able to button up and breathe in my "fat day jeans"... :embarassed:
  • skydiamonds67
    skydiamonds67 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A couple of things:

1. Growing too big to fit into my clothes and not being able to afford new ones. I was approaching a size 30, which was just not okay in my book.

2. Watching my mom struggle with various health issues that are exacerbated by her weight.

3. Joining an online dating site because I've never been in a relationship (most likely due to the fact I've always been overweight). i talked to a few nice guys and then realized I was not secure enough in my own skin to ever meet them. I would always be too insecure and ashamed of my weight to meet them and possibly deal with the rejection.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    the cost of individual health insurance......
  • Harleydiva68
    Harleydiva68 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My back was hurting me real bad. I decided that I needed to lose some weight. And also what I seen my parents going through with their health problems and weight issues. I just don't wanna be fat any more!!
  • nmerley
    nmerley Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    started havin alot of stomache problems. Jeans gettin tight and refused to buy anymore larger ones(sz18 was largest) Not havin the energy to keep up with my 3yr old.
  • ActorGirl1476
    ActorGirl1476 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was in an independent film in Finland, when I went to the premiere and saw myself on a giant screen and I was giant. that was the end of that. lol
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Last straw - had start shopping at Lane Bryant :sad:
    I sat around eating till I was a size 16 ( 198lbs) might have been bigger but I refused to buy any bigger.
    Currently 151lbs
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    in 2010 i spent the whole year with Dr monitoring my blood pressure, with me trying to get it under control again.

History:
    For the past 10 years my blood pressure was kept under control, at a nice even 120/80, with medication. But in 2010 my new 'set point' seemed to become 130/80.

After the year of monitoring, Dr informs me... 'well, it could just be that 130 is your new normal, you are getting older you know and it could just be the way things are going to be for you'

aaargh!
    He just had to throw in the 'older' bit... that was all it took *L*

From that moment on I was determined to prove him wrong.

My normal now is 117/70.. and my sneaky Dr could not be more proud of me! *S*
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Realizing that most of my (new) jeans were getting snug. Putting on a pair that used to fit, and realizing I look like a denim sausage roll!!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Interviews for great jobs were ending as soon as they started because (and I could see it in their eyes) I would not fit into one seat! And so I decided to try a diet, then walking, then aerobics, then elliptical...

I would say thank you to those people for making me see what I wasn't seeing, but I think it was a lesson for me that I wanted to be around to enjoy my next job opportunity instead of hearing people talk about me behind my back.

In June I will be the best me I can be. Healthy weight and super cool job (which today was my first day and I love it)!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I saw how big I was in a picture and just couldn't believe it! Did I really look like that? Since when did I become the fat girl in my group of friends? That is how I felt looking at the picture...

I knew I had gained wait but I didn't really realize how much. Also, the fact that a pair of pants that was already a size up from my usual size was beginnig to get snug too! Now that was it!

Not to mention, when I stepped on the scale for the first time I almost cried when I saw the number....
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    can't think of a last straw. Started out as a cleansing vegan diet and then lost 10+ pounds and that inspired me to keep losing again. Am determined to get to my goal and get in the best shape of my life(prolly already reached that goal actually)
    also after being single two years and not finding anything else to improve upon I decided it must be because Im too fat to draw enough of the right kinda attention.
    Kimmy
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    I have had a couple of them...When I woke up one day as I walked into a grocery store and was so winded at somewhere over 400 lbs sporting a muumuu...several years later when after gaining back like 50 or so lbs from an emergency gallbladder surgery from the huge weight loss...and gaining it back but then I made excuses. lol The latest was at the end of December and as I was dunking my gingerbread cookie into my coffee and forgot to take my new blood pressure pills...What was I doing? Went to my bathroom took a shower and broke down grasping the towel bar praying to God...It was all very dramatic. lol I got out blew my nose weighed myself...I was 297 at that point and havent looked back.
  • phatgirl30
    Options
    I was tagged in a photo on FB and was highly embarrassed at how big I looked in the photo. At first I got pissed off and cursed my GF out for tagging me in the photo lol...Then I calmed down and realized that it wasn't her that I was mad at. I was mad at that Fat girl in that photo with the big face, wide back , and double chin.