What foods can I eat to satisy my appetite and calorie goal?

Options
I've found myself lately to feel like I have a black hole in my stomach. Maybe I'm not eating foods that are filling but I usually eat within on calorie range of 1200. Sometimes I go over. What can I eat to satisfy my appetite guys?

Replies

• healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for protein?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm finding certain things help a lot...pears have been great for me...but also apples and bananas. They keep me full for awhile. Also hard boiled eggs.
  • earnestfarley
    earnestfarley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try protein (I like Monster Milk Vanilla Creme) use cold water and a mixer to really fluff it up. Also Apple Pectin fiber supplement is an appetite suppressor. Of course, drink water. A lot of water. If you are doing weight training, it does make you more hungry
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am basically eating the same foods I always ate. Just keeping better track of my caloric intake.
  • kathykroeger1
    Options
    some of those high protein bars like atkins can be really filling and low calorie. Another trick aside from eating protein snacks like almond or bars, drinking a lot of water helps. Your brain has a hard time deciphering hunger from thirst if you're dehydrated.
  • THUNDERBIRD49
    THUNDERBIRD49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    tuna is cheap and high in protein...I like it on a salad with red wine vinegar!
  • Seamoan87
    Seamoan87 Posts: 106
    Options
    What are you eating for protein?

Usually I drink a protein shake for breakfast and some fruit but I haven't drank any lately. Maybe I need to get back on that.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    steel cut oatmeal...I love it and it fills me up and lasts for a long time.
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    some of those high protein bars like atkins can be really filling and low calorie. Another trick aside from eating protein snacks like almond or bars, drinking a lot of water helps. Your brain has a hard time deciphering hunger from thirst if you're dehydrated.

Ah yes I seem to not be getting enough water lately. It fills me up so quickly, than I'm afraid I'm not eating right or enough.
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The morning protein shake really does it for me. I just started them and that totally satisfy my appetite for hours!
  • whoiskat23
    whoiskat23 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick glance at your diary, and by no means am I food expert, you need to drink more water. It doesn't look likes you are getting near enough.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Do you mean for a snack or as a meal? For meals, I'd say make sure you're getting enough protein, along with good carbs, like whole wheat breads, etc, and a little fat. The protein and fiber will fill you up, and keep you full, longer.

For snacks, I like frozen raw almonds and some fruit. Even a HB egg and fruit.

Sometimes, Teddy the Tapeworm decides to show up, and I never seem to feel full.
  • vttym
    vttym Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat baby carrot sticks for a snack when I need it. The crunch simulates a chip for me, and at 35 calories a serving, it is perfect to nom on to keep your belly happy. It's what works for me anyway!
  • ajwehling
    Options
    Starting off the day with an egg beaters omelet with mushroom/spinach or lean meat really helps fill me up. Make sure to have protein snacks, like light mozzarella sticks, too.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    oatmeal and greek yogurt (plain, i add my own honey and fruit)
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Foods that are high in fiber or protein are great. If I eat greek yogurt with granola for breakfast I'll be satisfied for hours. And drink water! A lot of times when you think you're hungry, you're really just thirsty.
  • hollyjo21
    Options
    I get hungry a lot too... but instead of eating a lot of calories at each meal, I spread them out and eat snacks every couple hours (like apples, bananas, string cheese, granola bars... etc). Plus I work out at least an hour everyday to earn extra calories. I eat a lot of protein too!! I am losing weight very quickly as I have lost 8.6 pounds in 2 weeks... So I guess its so far working for me, everyone is different, so just try some different stuff and see what works for you! :)
  • Seamoan87
    Options
    Taking a quick glance at your diary, and by no means am I food expert, you need to drink more water. It doesn't look likes you are getting near enough.

Yeah Lately it feels like I'm forcing myself to drink water. Don't know what's up with that but I'm trying to drink it with every meal now.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm on a medically supervised 1000 calorie diet, due to the fact that my resting metabolic rate as measured by indirect calorimetry (not just the MFP equations), so I feel your pain. My satiety is definitely tied more to mechanical stretch (i.e., eating high volume food) more so to than biochemical (i.e., proteins vs. carbs). I suspect the same may be the case for you.

So the key is to pretty much really focus on the standard nutrition recs of getting as full as possible on fruits and veggies.
    So prioritize your intake as follows:
    1) high volume, low calorie foods: Fresh fruits and non-starchy veggies (leafy greens, etc.)
    2) lean protein: beans, low-fat dairy, lean meat
    3) Fiber: whole grain breads/pasta, brown rice
    4) Healthy fats: dairy, olive oil, avocados

Everything else.
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Ah yes I seem to not be getting enough water lately. It fills me up so quickly, than I'm afraid I'm not eating right or enough.

I'm not the best at keeping up with my water intake, especially in cold weather, but I find I drink more if I use a water bottle or covered cup with a straw. I seem to sip more frequently and constantly. The larger the water bottle, the better so you don't have to go for too many refills. Like if you get a good 32 oz Big Gulp cup (don't actually drink the sugary drink) from a convenience store, you'll only need to fill it twice each day (AM before school/work and mid-afternoon/early evening)--something about sipping from the straw makes it more mindless.