I do great...except when I eat out

Options
I'm noticing that I don't have a problem sticking to my 1,200 calories a day when I pack lunch/snacks and eat dinner at home. The problem is that I love (like love, love) going out to dinner with friends. (I think I love it so much because, for me, eating out is a very social thing and well, the food is delicious.)

I usually try and order lean fish, skinless chicken, foods that aren't fried, etc.. but it seems like every time I go out I'm still over my calories (for the entire day) by 200-400 calories. I also eat only half of what is on my plate (I'll box the rest up and take it to work for lunch the next day.)

I don't want to give up eating out with friends, but I don't know how else to do it.

How can I solve my problem without snubbing my friends?

PS I don't think that alcohol is really my problem either. At most I'll have 1-2 drinks (mostly glasses of wine) and I'll try and not eat as much to balance out the drinks.

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    I'm noticing that I don't have a problem sticking to my 1,200 calories a day when I pack lunch/snacks and eat dinner at home. The problem is that I love (like love, love) going out to dinner with friends. (I think I love it so much because, for me, eating out is a very social thing and well, the food is delicious.)

I usually try and order lean fish, skinless chicken, foods that aren't fried, etc.. but it seems like every time I go out I'm still over my calories (for the entire day) by 200-400 calories. I also eat only half of what is on my plate (I'll box the rest up and take it to work for lunch the next day.)

I don't want to give up eating out with friends, but I don't know how else to do it.

How can I solve my problem without snubbing my friends?

PS I don't think that alcohol is really my problem either. At most I'll have 1-2 drinks (mostly glasses of wine) and I'll try and not eat as much to balance out the drinks.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I also love (LOVE LOVE LOVE) eating out, and it's been a very big challenge. If you're going to restaurants that have their nutrition info online, I would suggest looking it over before you go. Pick out what you're going to eat, and when you get to the restaurant, don't look at the menu. There's no way you're going to remember that the fettucine alfredo has 110 grams of fat.

Also, if you know you're going out to dinner, try to eat a little lighter in the day to help balance it out. And drink lots of water! Good luck...
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out, I try to exercise a little extra that day and also try to shave off about 200 calories off the rest of my day. It seems to help.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Don't eat at a restaurant unless you're able to cut your calories, they must have published nutritional information before you can eat at their establishment. I'm sure your friends are aware of your dieting and of course they'll have no problem accommodating ^_^

If I can't count my calories and keep an eye on trans fat, then I don't want any part of that restaurant.
  • uwhuskygirl
    Options
    None of the restaurants that I go to post their nutritional facts/menus online. (I can find a sample menu, but not the real menu of the night, as most of the chefs, for those restaurants, do their shopping that morning.) And I don't eat at chain restaurants.

I do work out on those days, drink 8+ glasses of water, and limit my calories for the day before going (I usually try and reserve around 700-800 calories for dinner), but it just still doesn't seem like enough. If I eat any less than 400-500 before dinner then I start to feel sick.

Is there anything else that I can try so that I can still eat out (occasionally) and not go over for the day?

Thanks so much for your help.

PS I've lost almost 3 lbs since I've started. Only 7 more to go! :smile:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You can always eat at home before going out to dinner with friends. Have a nutritional dinner, go to the restaurant full, and order a side salad that you can add to your food diary later.

Aside from going to restaurants that enable you to count your calories, eating at home prior to dinner, or socializing somewhere else other than food establishments, I'm out of ideas. :cry:
  • uwhuskygirl
    Options
    That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping that someone else had an idea.

Thanks for your help though!
  • braydoherty
    Options
    When I find something on the menu, I ask how it is prepared. You'd be surprised at what they do. For example, the Cheesecake Factory prepares their Turkey Burgers with Butter and Heavy Cream! YUCK

I do my best to order no sauces, and request that my fish (or what ever your choice) is prepared with out butter or oil. Veggies are steamed, no butter, and Salad is no dressing with lemon slices on the side. (I'm a little extreme, but you can ask for dressing on the side, or just vinegar)

Wine... a 4oz glass of red wine is 100 calories. A standard pour will be 6 - 8 oz. I LOVE my wine as much as you love to eat out, but sometimes I have to pass and stay focused.

You can eat out and enjoy yoursef. It's all about making the right choices.

Good Luck to you :)
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Box half up before you even start eating. Grilled not fried. Ask for the food not to be cooked in oil. Dressings of the side. It can be done...
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Applebee's has a special Weight Watchers menu, makes it really nice to go to a normal restaraunt and be able to eat healthy food. I believe that it lists the calories on the menu as well as the points value.