How long until you stopped being constantly hungry?

Options
I love this site and it recommended I eat 1270 calories per day to lose 2lbs a week. Yikes! I used to eat twice that (I know that's bad). Anyway, I've lost 4lbs in 10 days and I definitely plan on sticking with it! I'm just wondering how long after you started your weight loss did your stomach shrink enough where you weren't hungry as often? Or where it took quite a bit less to fill you up?

Replies

• ericashealthplan
    Options
    I have noticed when I drink water before meals, during and after helps me feel fuller. For me it took about a month, now if I try to over eat I feel sick. I had to really cut down on my portion control, I can't believe how I use to eat. Thank God for myfitnesspal it has really helped me along my journey. I started back on Dec 11th and have lost 16lbs and 10inches. GOOD LUCK on your journey you are doing great!!!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's always tough to say, usually after the first couple of weeks it will start to get better, but you will probably get hunger pangs regardless as 1270 isn't much food. Fill up on whole grains like brown rice, oatmeal and whole wheat pasta (remember portion control), lots of lean protein (i always eat more protein than MFP suggests) and lots and lots of veggies (low calorie fillers and nutrient rich). and don't get discouraged if your weight loss tapers off a little, it usually takes your body a month or so to adjust to a healthy diet and more exercise. Be sure to measure yourself every week along with weighing, I always do my arms, chest, thinnest part and thickest part of my waist, hips, thigh and calf... that'll show you the true results
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    So this is what always happened with me.. until now. I was always hungry on a lower calorie diet.. why? Not enough fiber/protein. Now I have a lot of both and I'm rarely hungry. Plus the more volume the better (i.e. veggies)
  • BlooQKazoo
    Options
    Not that long, actually, once I learned to tell the difference between hunger and craving and once I learned ways to keep myself full! If you eat lots of fiber and protein-filled foods (like apples, bananas, or almonds), that sure helps, as does drinking lots and lots of water. Or you could go the low-cal route and find foods with super low calories, like most veggies and air-popped popcorn and such, and eat to your heart's content (and it'll thank you for all the vitamins!). Mostly though, just ask yourself if you're actually hungry. Drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes to see if you were just thirsty. Are you wanting one specific food? If you could down a bag of chips but don't feel like grabbing an apple, you're probably just craving, which is much different from hunger. Basically, though, just drink your weight in water and fill up on low-cal or high fiber food. Good luck! It's gets easier. :)
  • megaron01
    megaron01 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    j4nash is totally correct. Load up on fiber/protein & you just won't be as hungry so quickly. Water helps too!!
  • kellybib
    Options
    Abit of what everyone has said really drink plenty, lots of fiber + protein and try eating little and often. Good luck you can do it!
  • karimiragliotta
    Options
    This was one of my biggest problems too!!
    I LOVE my food and portion size was a big problem also!
    I dont really like water so I was lacking on my water intake.
    MFP counter helped me to realise that i put in way too much food. having that on my consience was the best start in regards to portion size.
    The next good thing was trying to drink more water. I found that once I started to drink more water, i could go for longer periods without constantly thinking about food.
    Still it took at least 2 weeks after drinking more water for that to happen. Then about another 2 weeks after that for the full effect.

Stick with it, take in all the good ideas from everyone on here too.

You can do it! the start is the hardest step but your doing a good thing for yourself!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I couldn't have lost anything if I was always hungry. Lots of water, fiber and protein, like everyone has said helps you feel full. I keep healthy snacks at work and if I'm hungry I eat!
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    for me it took about a week for my stomach to shrink...when you're in the habit of eating a lot more calories daily, it's hard to tell your body 'no'!!! but it's necessary.
    for me, it was also hard to tell if i was actually hungry or if i was just bored and wanting to eat because i love eating!! for that reason, i've started drinking water with crystal light to curb my apetite...if after a full bottle, i'm still truly hungry, i will eat something.