NSV of self control

Options
Not too long ago, my husband was telling me about a radio clip he heard on NPR about willpower. The expert they had speaking was discussing the idea that willpower is like a muscle -- it doesn't strengthen if you don't use it. He explained that this is why so many people fail miserably when they set big goals for themselves -- they don't have the self control to accomplish them -- YET. He suggested intentionally putting yourself in mild situations where you would have to practice self control to gradually it build up. He gave the example of someone wanting to lose eight keeping a candy bar in the house and intentionally NOT eating it.

I bought my candy bar (Milky Way Simply Caramel) TWO WEEKS ago, and I haven't eaten it, despite the temptation it presents every time I sit down at my computer desk, where it resides. I gotta say, it's good to continually remind myself that just because I WANT to eat something doesn't mean I WILL, doesn't mean I HAVE to.

I understand that this exercise is not for everyone, but I'd highly recommend it for others who are at a similar stage of trying to learn self-control.

Replies

• gloria84
    gloria84 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's a great tip!!! Good for you!!. Tonight we had dinner at Carinos and my son had a mini chocolate cake and I didn't get any...I had a great feeling of acomplishment when I walked out that door!!!!
  • Alayajoy
    Options
    Hooray! So proud of you for going this long! Keep going.
  • DDahl5570
    DDahl5570 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love this! I am going to buy myself some kind of pastry tomorrow, and try it out... Thanks for the advice!
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think that's awesome! and it can't "go bad" so you won't HAVE to eat it :)

I live with people who don't watch what they eat so there's almost always tempting stuff around... I love the feeling of accomplishment when I don't eat ________. it's like a buzz :)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You can also do some effective will power work by putting something healthy next to that unhealthy choice as well. It is sort of a self brainwashing. It is amazing how effective it was for me at work every Friday. The office gets these fancy donuts every Friday and I walk by the kitchen area probably 20 times a day and they are just sitting there in there sugary fat coated glory ... So I put a bowl of fruit next to it, and every time I felt the urge to grab a donut I grabbed a grape or an apple or something else. Felt full, didn't have the urge...

Funny it picked up at work now they order a bowl of fruit every Friday with the donuts.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!