Should fitness fanatics be easier on January gym-goers?

Options
13»

Replies

• Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    it is kind of annoying.... I walked in this morning and ALL the tredmills and ALL the ellipticals were occupied... thankfully I'm doing my cardio in classes now, and the weights weren't too bad occupied...
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I think we all need to remember that once upon a time we all started as january gym-goers and here we are today! Most of the newbies will stick around long enough to realise its working and make the committment. Its so easy to get all high and mighty but we need to remember that we all had to start somewhere- give these people a break.

You're right.. But if one more points at my Vibrams and laughs, I'm passing out swirlies.

ive seen loads of them and nearly 6 months of my friend wearing them i still laugh! lol1 :tongue:
  • mrspetrosian
    mrspetrosian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of my facebook "friends" posted about how she HATES her gym in January and can't wait for all of the "fat people to just leave already". The funny thing is that SHE started her own weightloss journey/new lifestyle in January 2011...so she really has no room to talk.

In college, we had a huge rec center but the equipment was always full except before 8am. I just ran on the track.

I like what a PP said about soon it will warm up and people will go back to working out outside anyway :) I also like what someone else said about if you see someone looking lost with the equipment, offer a helping hand. Someone helped me once years ago and I still remember the advice she gave me.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't care what month or why someone joins a gym. Best of luck to them. But rude is rude no matter what your resolution may be. I don't care how "new" you are, the concept of wiping up your own sweat is simple courtesy.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The January gym-goers don't bother me as long as they follow good gym etiquette. For example, one guy was reading "Strength Training for Dummies"; while sitting on a weight bench with 4 sets of weights in front of it. No one else could use the weights or bench while he was reading (it was about 20 minutes). Others don't wipe down the equipment. Just being new doesn't make them bad in my book.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I don't judge because I don't want to be judged. I started getting in shape last January, but not on the 1st, or as a resolution. I just got tired of being fat. I didn't start using the gym until about March but I still overweight by A LOT. I felt like people probably looked at me like I didn't belong.

So no I don't think it's my place to judge why a person starts working out, or when and I truly do not care if they don't stick with it. It is their life, not mine.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    mariababe81don't knock'em til you try'em.

I actually just bought a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes to run in which is just about the same thing except you ain't got the toes. I dig wearing them running. But I'll still pop out a few miles in the toe shoes.
  • PirateJohn
    Options
    I am easy on the January folks if they are still there in March.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i think people do need to be patient with january go-ers...i was one and people made it clear to me that they didn't think i'd be there long and i was just a nuisance taking up one of 'their' machines and a space in 'their' classes....i proved them wrong and ended up staying for 4yrs! and being one of the ones in my gym well known for my dedication and weight loss.

it never bothers me when there is the sudden influx in january...everyone has to start sometime, i have always tried to be friendly and make people not feel like such outsiders
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I just think that if they were really serious about losing weight, they wouldn't want to wait until January 1st to do it. Every day is a new day to make a positive change in your life, and I wish everybody saw it that way.

Yes, but we don't know what they were doing before they joined. Maybe they joined because of the great discounts! I know that my gym had a special offer of 50% off the first 3 months if you sign up between Dec 15-Jan 15.

I don't mind the newbies at all. I mostly use the free weights and everyone is good about letting me work in and I try to be good about it too. The only irritating thing I've had so far is someone "stole" the step I was using for step-ups while I was getting heavier dumbbells for my next set -- it had my towel and workout program on it to "claim" it. I turned around and it was gone! I just sighed and went to get another step.
    I only use the cardio machines for 3-10 minutes for my warmup, and even then I find the rowing machine to be superior to the treadmill for a warmup and fewer people use the rowing machines so I can usually find one. I run outside, this winter is very mild!
    I admit I haven't been going to the classes, those always look very full and I got bored with them.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if they start Jan. 1st or Aug. 30th... THEY STARTED! We should embrace them and encourage them. If they don't stick to it, it's on them not us. BUT, having a good friendly attitude about newcomers could just be the little push the need that makes them WANT to stay and work hard and be a part of something healthy. It's not our job to judge them or their intentions!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My wife does a weekly advanced cardio kick boxing class and she said her instructor told them in December the first 2 weeks of January are going to be extra tough to set apart motivated ones from the non-motivated ones. The problem with "resolutioners" is that most gyms don't give an orientation (at least none have when I've gone where they've shown how the weights work) and they end up doing some pretty dangerous stuff and/or have poor gym etiquette. Its great they're starting, but they're starting blind.
  • misslyssa319
    misslyssa319 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    after almost a month of newbie watching i've noticed these few things:

1. they love to wear their shiny new workout clothes. they will be niked out from scrunchie to their socks and shoes.
    2. they either want to be front right row center or hiding in the back of any class. front row center are usually the niked out newbies.
    3. if they can't remember how to use a machine they will fake it instead of asking for help. sad thing is each one has pictures on it.
    4. they have gym a.d.d. and will make you dizzy watching them. they can use every machine in less than 20 minutes. a few minutes each on treadmill/bike/elliptical, pick up some hand weights, few minutes of crunches/lunges, some jump rope, and other touching of random equipment they have no idea how to use. i saw a girl bouncing a medicine ball while trying to balance on a bosu ball....

but seriously, i have noticed that most will follow your example if you wipe machines down and put things back where they belong.
    and they are already starting to thin out. i think the ones who aren't seeing the quick results they expected are the ones who drop off. marathon not a sprint! :ohwell:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    cant work in because of them.

its starting to slack off already..thank goodness.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't judge because I don't want to be judged. I started getting in shape last January, but not on the 1st, or as a resolution. I just got tired of being fat. I didn't start using the gym until about March but I still overweight by A LOT. I felt like people probably looked at me like I didn't belong.

So no I don't think it's my place to judge why a person starts working out, or when and I truly do not care if they don't stick with it. It is their life, not mine.

I sort of feel the same way. I've had a gym membership for over a year, but I didn't get serious about it until October 2011. And I did feel like I was being judged, cause I was obviously overweight and obviously new. For a while I never worked out unless it was before noon or after 8pm.

Now that I have an exercise routine and a much harder time finding time for said routine between working almost full-time, grad school and moving, I do get annoyed that every single cardio machine is taken when I get to the gym. So I just have to remind myself that I was a newbie as well not so long ago...
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    mariababe81don't knock'em til you try'em.

I actually just bought a pair of New Balance Minimus shoes to run in which is just about the same thing except you ain't got the toes. I dig wearing them running. But I'll still pop out a few miles in the toe shoes.

haha! i hear you. the people in my running club swear by their vibrams. the minimus shoes look a lot better to me and i would be tempted to try them out sometime in the future. for now, im still enjoying my asics
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I joined in january just like all the greenies....I would have joined in july if I had the money. It was a gift from my parents to my husband and I. I love that I have 2 hours to do something for myself and to spend time with my husband. I have not had this in 15 years! I pay the same as everyone else(well my parents do ahha)I may not know all the rules and I get intimated with those machines(someday i will cross the line to the otherside of the gym:) but I am trying..and I plan on being there after march. So bare with the newbie some of us may really want to be there:)

All the best
    Have a great day!