kale recipes??

Options
karagav
karagav Posts: 172 Member
hey,
so i got motivated to try making kale chips today....didn't turn out as i had planned, i burnt them a bit and am totally turned off...i don't even want to attempt them again!! however, i have quite a big bunch of kale left.

what do you do with kale? any interesting recipes?

Replies

• firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2802 Kale and butternut squash salad. This is extremely healthy, very tasty, and you could easily modify it from a salad to a soup. Yum, yum, yummmm.

ETA I tried that after a botched Kale experiment left me reluctant to try it again too. :laugh: I think it might be a finicky vegetable, but this recipe is good.
  • karagav
    Options
    thank you :) the link didn't work for me but i went to the site and i'm seeing lots of great stuff!
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love kale! I really love it in green smoothies! The trick with kale chips is to watch them closely. They go from not ready to burnt in a matter of seconds. If done right, they are amazing. You can steam kale (or stir fry) as you would spinach then dress it with a splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice. It also tastes amazing sliced thinly and "massaged" with a splash of apple cider vinegar and a dash of coarse salt. (Eaten raw) Search any of the raw food websites to discover all sorts of delicious healthy ways to eat kale. Enjoy :-)
  • karagav
    Options
    thanks so much!! maybe i'll try the chips again...it was just a really, really bad taste hahaha
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You'll notice on that page there is a marinated kale recipe as well :-)
  • karagav
    Options
    that's pretty much a foolproof explanation!! i think i'll try again tomorrow and hope for the best! i had the oven way too high!!!
  • usmcwallacewife
    usmcwallacewife Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just bought Kale yesterday to attempt to make kale chips as well. I found a recipe in EveryDay with Rachel Ray from Thanksgiving time frame. I don't have Dinosaur Kale as called for but the curly kind that is typical at Safeway etc. I am going to try to make some sea salt and pepper ones and also some spicy ones. I pray they turn out well!

Another favorite recipe is a sauteed spinach/kale dish that tastes great mixed with quinoa.

Saute olive oil with a few fresh cloves of garlic. Add Kale and Spinach with some sea salt. Cook down till slightly wilted. I don't like my greens mushy. Its simple and delish!

Good luck!
    Olivia
  • welchmann
    Options
    I forgot how good kale is!
  • marigold8g
    marigold8g Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen on the weekend. :( first batch was burnt-tasted horrible and then I think it ruined it for the second batch as I just couldn't get that taste out of my mouth!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Kale is basically like spinach, you can saute it in a little bit of olive oil and tons of garlic, it is delicious.

I make lentil soup w/carrots and chicken hot dogs sliced in it, and I put kale leaves in it, you really can't taste it but it adds so many nutrients!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of lettuce (or in addition to) in wraps and salads.

Put a little water, a little olive oil, a huge bunch of kale and 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic in a deep pan. Saute for about 5 min, turning often, until the kale is bright green and the water is mostly gone. Toss to coat lightly with the oil and garlic, season with fresh black pepper and a little low sodium soy sauce. (slivered almonds are a good addition).

Give it a fine chop and stir into marinara or other pasta sauce just before serving (just enough to wilt the kale).

Chop coursely and stir into rice, or rice and beans, just before serviing (again, just long enough to wilt).

It's also great in soups and stews.
  • BeUnique1207
    BeUnique1207 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience. These are some great options! Thanks :)
  • oneida_russet
    oneida_russet Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I made sesame kale chips on sunday and I love them!

Try steaming then serving with fresh orange/lemon zest and s&p.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can use it in any recipe you put spinach in.

Sauteed with onions, mix with low fat ricotta cheese, 1 egg and make homemade ravioli made with Won-Ton wrappers.
    Simmer lightly for 5 min.
  • allisonblair
    Options
    awesome smoothie recipe!! We like to call it the Grapple Kalecumber. It has grapes, apples, kale and cucumber. Check out the video to see how to make it :)http://youtu.be/XVbA3Vhfx30
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    the white bean soup and ravioli sounds fantastic! I usually have it in my morning green smoothie with apple and banana.
  • katfischer
    katfischer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pototo Kale Enchiladas...I often swap out white potatos for sweet potatos in these as well:

http://juliasvegankitchen.blogspot.com/2011/05/potato-kale-enchiladas.html
  • smurfywebgrl
    Options
    try them again.. take a little olive oil and half-salt, toss them together in a big bowl so they get covered...then take a baking sheet and place evenly...sprinkle Mrs.Dash southwest chipolte over them and cook for about 5 min a side..the trick is you HAVE to watch them...once you see them start to look a little try (usually about 5min) take them out and turn them put back in and if you watch them within a few minutes they should be good... TRY AGAIN! it's so worth it!