Weight Fluctuations

Options
So I'm just wondering if anyone else weight fluctuates a lot.
I'll weigh myself on Monday and be at 195lbs, then I'll stick to my 1200 calories drink my water (and coffee) weigh myself Tuesday and I weigh 200lbs. After a mild freak out I'll eat my 1200 calories, drink the same amount of water (and coffee) go to bed weigh myself on Wednesday weigh 197lbs. Repeat and on Thursday I'll be 194lbs, Lather rinse repeat and Friday I'm back to 200lbs.
Is this normal?
Is there anyway to prevent such huge fluctuations? I know some back and forth is normal but 5 or 6 pounds from one day to a next?
Any input is greatly appreciated

Replies

• careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I belive it has to do with what you are eating. You can eat 1200 calories of crap and gain weight or not lose any weight. It is more than just the amount of calories - it is where you are getting them as well.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as well, my weight fluctuates 2-6lb. I've always been this way. But I have a scale that measure my body fat %.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says a two pound fluctuation is normal.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is normal. If you can't deal with the fluctuations stop weighing yourself every single day.
  • missjay001
    Options
    I think it has to do with your scale. I have 2 scales, and one of them is a litle bit like that
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    One reason why one shouldn't weigh themselves every day. Weight changes day to day. You will only get an accurate reading at stepping on the scale once a week, at the same time, same day and under the same circumstances.
  • Jumease
    Jumease Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes this is normal. I think you're weighing yourself too often. The most you should be weighing yourself is twice a week and make sure it's at the same time on that day. I weigh myself after I get our of the shower in the mornings when I first wake up and haven't had any food yet. That way I can't make any excuses about the number. I normally weigh in on Sundays and Thursdays, depending on my schedule.
  • coatek
    coatek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too and it does get frustrating but look at it like this this. The average bathroom scale could be only 1% repeatable so on 200lb it could read 2lb different EVERY time you step on it.
    I weigh myself every day cos even with all the fluctuations, if you are losing weight you WILL see a downward trend and that gives me encouragement. i don't agree with the once or twice a week, what if on these occasions your weight reads high, your gonna be pi..sed off the rest of the week. Think longterm, trend down and stay away from pies. Good luck!
  • tboon22
    Options
    not trying to be mean., but i work in the fitness industrie. your probably liying to your self about the portions your eating. thats why you gain the wieght. workout to and actually be honest with your self and youll probably see why you gain wieght. oh. and are you adding in the alchohal your drinking??
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    yup..i weighed on the same scale one day and the next day there was a 5 lb difference.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me, but during January I am doing a detox and not having any gluten, sugar, or caffeine and suddenly I have no weight fluxuations at all. I am guessing that different foods will cause your body to retain more or less water, and the things I am eating at the moment are making it consistent so I don't have day to day fluxuations.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Weigh once a week or once a fortnight... That will be a far better indicator. Also, don't soley rely on scales... Inches speak bigger volumes than, well, volume. :)
  • alie5612
    Options
    Weigh once a week or once a fortnight... That will be a far better indicator. Also, don't soley rely on scales... Inches speak bigger volumes than, well, volume. :)

this is so true
  • SanDFit
    SanDFit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My weight also fluctuates a lot (around 1-2lb on an average). What I have noticed is that my weight is more when I've consumed most of my calories in the latter half of the day. If I have a heavy breakfast and a light lunch then my weight seems an lb less the next day.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    due to hydration, eating and many other factors. research shows that body weight fluctuates between 2 to 5 lbs. try to weigh in a weekly basis same day same time. this will reduce the fluctuation.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    not trying to be mean., but i work in the fitness industrie. your probably liying to your self about the portions your eating. thats why you gain the wieght. workout to and actually be honest with your self and youll probably see why you gain wieght. oh. and are you adding in the alchohal your drinking??

Since you work in the fitness "industrie", I'm a little surprised that you would suggest her weight fluctuations are due to overeating. I highly, highly doubt that this woman can eat enough to gain 5 pounds of fat in just a couple of days.