Shirataki Noodle Texture??

Options
So I went out and bought some Shirataki noodles (my local supermarket only had the fettuccine) I cooked them and did everything everyone said to online so I know it was correct. But the texture was just so..."rubber-bandy"? That I couldnt down it. I was wondering if the other kinds (angel hair, etc) had a better texture? Or is there some way to cook it that it doesn't feel like chewy worms? lol
Sincerly,
Apparently One Very Picky Eater.

Replies

• 2b2b2
    2b2b2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you cut them small:smile: and they will seem more normal to you. They grow on you!
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I had my first batch the other day. I made them with a peanut sauce and I thought it went well with the noodles.
    I rinsed them, pat them dry, and then dried them out in a non-stick skillet. They were a little chewy, but I added in more textures, like bell pepper and crunchy peanut butter, and that variation probably helped.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    When I make homemade Pho, these are PERFECT!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes, they all kind of have the texture of rubber-bands. It's because of what they are made from, which is a very fiberous Japanese yam.

I love them because they are zero calorie, high in fiber, and really good for you. The Japanese call them "the broom of the intestine."

Like someone else mentioned, I always cut mine up before adding them to the sauce, since they are almost impossible to eat as you would regular pasta. My favorite way to eat them is with some red sauce, sriracha, and parmesean. Delicious and really low-calorie.
  • annaconda91
    Options
    I suppose I shall try them again. I did buy two packages after all. I think ill throw some nuts and bean sprouts in. Thanks for your suggestions.
  • angdan31
    angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tried them for the first time tonight. I made a Hungry Girl Spaghetti Pie. It was really good. I didn't notice the rubbery texture that others have mentioned at all. Maybe because it was encased in so many other textures and flavors. I've also heard if you dry them out in the oven a bit before you use them they will absorb the sauce that you use as they rehydrate and they taste better. I was skeptical but I'm definetly going to try other recipes.

Hungry Girl Super-Duper Spaghetti Pie

PER SERVING (1/4th of pie): 140 calories, 3g fat, 499mg sodium, 16g carbs, 5g fiber, 6g sugars, 13g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

Ingredients:
    1 package House Foods Tofu Shirataki Spaghetti Shaped Noodle Substitute
    One 14.5-oz. can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
    1 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
    Dash each salt and black pepper, or more to taste
    1 cup frozen ground-beef-style soy crumbles (like the kind by Boca or Morningstar Farms), thawed and patted dry
    1/2 cup thinly sliced bell pepper (any color)
    1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
    1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Use a strainer to drain and rinse shirataki noodles well. Pat dry. In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave for 1 minute. Drain excess liquid. Dry as thoroughly as possible, using paper towels. Cut noodles up a bit and set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine tomatoes, pumpkin, Parm-style topping, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper; mix well. If you like, season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Stir in soy crumbles. Transfer about 3/4 of the tomato mixture to the bowl with the noodles; set the rest aside.

Add veggies and egg substitute to the bowl with the noodles; mix well. Transfer contents of the bowl to a large pie pan sprayed with nonstick spray.

Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until firm.

Remove pie from the oven and evenly spread with remaining tomato mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.

Return pie to the oven and bake until tomato mixture is hot and cheese has melted, about 3 minutes.

Allow to cool for a few minutes and then slice into quarters. Enjoy!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • claire_90
    Options
    I don't mind the texture but I agree it's nothing great... making a good sauce is key to making it better :)