Hard financial times

Options
2»

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i know u said u cut the phone bill in half...but maybe research pay-as-you-go phones...some plans are a really good deal lol.

shop online for things if they are cheaper. remember to use coupon codes.

buy baby wipes etc at a dollar store.

cook large portions of food using on-sale stuff, and freeze the rest so you can just use the microwave to reheat it.

since u r a student, u can also take out loans too, if needed. many dont make u start repaying until a few months after graduation.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    since u r a student, u can also take out loans too, if needed. many dont make u start repaying until a few months after graduation.

yeah, don't do that. taking out extra loans to pay bills NOW only means you'll be stressing yourself out even MORE later when it comes time to pay the loan back, plus the potentially ASTRONOMICAL interest. it's not worth it. why pay more for something later that you could've either pinched and scraped for or done without?

trust me, you'll need your future income for future needs. don't spend the rest of your life paying for what you've done today. don't take the easy way out. just be careful, be frugal, track everything, and learn to recognize NEEDS. you're already on a great track, and there's a lot of great advice in this thread already.

oh, except for the air conditioner thing. i don't suggest turning it completely OFF (depending on where you live, this could turn into a fatal mistake), but definitely raise the temperature setting by about 5 degrees and try to make sure you have a fan in every room. turn them on when you walk in, and off when you walk out. remember: fans cool people, not rooms.

lots of luck!
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas! I'm not working, just graduated from school, have 3 boys that eat everything in a matter of seconds after I buy something and coupons do save!!

You can also try freecycle.org. I love it! See if there is a site near you. It's a place where people list things which are free... free coupons for this, $5 coupon for this store, clothes, electronics ( i picked up a juicer and make my own juice for the family~fresh! you can't beat that!! ) I have even seen packs of diapers that babies have outgrown so they give away as well as kids clothes on there. you just register and you get emails of whats available. There is alot of great things on there and also if you have somethings you don't use or never used, you can list it too and I'm sure someone out there would want it as they might have a need for it!) Also, try a church food pantry. Good luck to you!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    When shopping for fruit and vegies, look at the prices before you decide what you'll cook. There's usually something green in season for $2-$3/kilo, but what that is varies from week to week. If there's something super-cheap, most veges can be frozen if par-boiled first (divide them up into bags of the size you'll want to defrost at once, since they tend to stick together).

Get dried lentils and beans to use in soups and stews: they are super cheap and super-nourishing. Flesh meals out with rice - preferably, brown rice. Check whether making your own bread is cheaper than buying bread where you are.

Take packed lunches to work/school, and don't buy coffee or other drinks while you're out.

Consider alternatives to expensive cleaning products (most of it can be done with cheap vinegar or baking soda or just elbow grease).
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you have room plant a vegie garden.

Careful with that, though. It can be rewarding, but it's very easy to spend ten times as much on your home-grown vegies as you'd spend just buying them at a shop. (What with potting mix, gardening tools, fertilisers, pest control, crop losses, higher water bills, etc).
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have one near you, but I save a TON at the ALDI's grocery store & their products are awesome! Also, if you have any luxury items you could stand to give up, sell them on Craig's list. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get rid of things you don't need anymore. Any clothes, toys, dvds, your kids have outgrown? Old TVs, electronic equipment you can do without? Furniture, exercise equipment you don't use? Good luck, & you'll get through it with some determination, I've been there. The trick is budget, budget, budget, and stick to it!!!
    You can also use Craigslist (and Freecycle especially) to get thing that you want/need, for free! Clothes, toys, gift cards, household supplies, even food....you name it, someone else is sharing it. You would be surprised the things that people just give away. I've gotten a scanner, for example, for free....and given away many nice items, too.
  • johnnyfreud786
    Options
    I have gone through financial crisis too but you know some advice can help you to regain your financial strength again. I have been following financial professional for better prospect and how to save money because they tell me to save income without killing your wishes. Financial times deal is one factor which need to be overcome by time, try to follow your wisdom and implement.
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    shop when shops are about to close n get cheap fruit/veg/meat thats going out of date? i did an experiment this month and lived on £30! yes it was hard but can be done