females 200lbs+ What works for you??

Options

Replies

• bzymommyof4
    bzymommyof4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I typically exercise and burn between 500 and 900 calories each day. I'll be honest, I usually eat most of those exercise calories...although I always make sure I leave maybe 150-350. I've had pretty good success with that - losing anywhere from 1.5 to 4 lbs a wk....
  • reillyandme
    reillyandme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What does mfp say your calories should be based on your goals? I weigh 237 now. when I started at 273 two months ago mfp had me eating 1700 calories a day. Over the past two months they dropped it twice and I am now eating 1430 calories a day and I work out 60 minutes a day 6 days a week. Try changing your goals on mfp and see if it adjusts your calories for you.
  • singingchick1515
    singingchick1515 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1600 Calories a day and work out 45-60 minutes 4-5 times a week and my weight loss has completely plateaued. I've lost nothing the last month...
  • MamaShaw
    Options
    Everyone has great advice here. I would suggest varying your workout. Your body may be too used to your usual workout so mix it up with weights or a different sort of cardio. I didn't know there were Zumba workouts on Youtube - I may have to try those out myself! :-) Hope you find something that works!
  • momtocanda
    Options
    Are you doing the same workouts every time? If so, try to change that up. Your body may have just gotten used to it and need a switch to push forward. If you are not doing weights with cardio, try adding that. I use a personal trainer twice a week and with him I do cardio resistance to I do weight lifting while doing cardio, it's a beast! Of the calories you are eating, what do they consist of? Do you just look at your calories or at the calories, carbs, fat and protein. Try getting more protein less carbs or switching some of that up too. If you are still not losing after all that...go to a doctor and make sure there is not something medically going on.
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    I started at 308 and I was eating 1500 calories per day, and exercising 4-6 days per week. That worked for a while, but I was hungry all the time and it just wasn't working after about a month.

Right now, at 284, I'm eating 1800 calories, and work out 4-5 days per week, for about 60 minutes each time. I've seen more of a loss since eating more and upping my exercise time. I generally don't eat back all of my exercise calories. I am also probably going to switch down to like 1650 in the next week or so, just to switch things up and see where I am at.

You really just have to find what works for you.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I thought I knew what worked. I was going along at 1200 base calories and working out every day and eating exercise calories back. Then I stopped losing for a couple of weeks and went absolutely berserk. So this past week or two I've been guzzling coffee, exercising less (must go to the gym today must go to the gym today!) and eating more and dropping pounds faster than I was. I'm going to return to at least a moderate number of calories today or tomorrow before I start gaining, but now I have no idea what a good number is!

I even tried stackers, but those made me feel awful. I forgot how awful they make me feel, so I stopped, and coffee alone seems to be working. Hopefully adding coffee to my day and beginning to workout again will keep me losing for awhile, if I can find the right calorie setting. 1400 might do the trick.
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started at 251 and now I am one pound away from losing 20lbs. I started doing the 1200 calorie intake and would lose a pound a day and I was so happy but some time later I would not lose weight and/or start to gain weight. After the holidays I increased my calorie intake to 1640 and one week I did lose 5lbs and than only losing 1lb. I really hate my body :( I do workout mon-fri for 30-60 mins of walking in general or working out to Leslie Sansone. I'm at the point of I don't know what to do. Its easy to gain weight but losing it is very hard.
  • AJDistel
    Options
    I started off at 278 and I'm down to 237. My calories are set at 1200 but I usually workout about 5x a week. On the days I workout, I usually eat about 1300-1500 cal. When I don't, I try to stay between 1200-1300. I have mfp set to 2lbs a week loss and it's been pretty accurate. Some weeks I'll switch things up just for variety... (my workouts and my calories by 100) but it's about trial and error.. you have to find what work for you.

You can lose weight without exercising, but I wouldn't recommend it. Your losing not only fat but muscle. You want to build muscle to help you lose weight, speed up your metabolism, and tone. If you lose weight by diet alone and you have a lot to lose, your not gonna look lean or toned. When you first start a regimen... you may gain some weight because it is muscle, but eventually that muscle will help your weight come off faster.

Those who are only eating 900-1200, need to up your intake. It's not healthy and you shouldn't be advising others to do it. Your putting your body in starvation mode and that's not healthy at all. The point is not only to lose weight but be healthy. You have to do something that can be a lifestyle change, not just a temporary program. If you want it to stick, you have to make it a lifestyle.
  • svfd235
    svfd235 Posts: 26
    Options
    I started out at 249 and in the last three weeks ive lost 8 pds, I eat 1300 cals a day and workout everyday but sundays I mix it up I run on the elliptical lift weight and than take zuba,yoga and spinning classes each week. Keep up the good work you will get to where you want to be.
  • lamaier52
    Options
    I agree 1200 calories a day is nothing. That is what I was calc'd at when I put in my stats and my goals. This is my first week & I will do one more week at 1200 but it is not realistic if I want to seriously stay on board with this. Once I get my fitness program going I will up the calories. There are so many suggestions but I think eating many times a day, healthy small portions and get your calories in this way helps you lose. We burn it off more quickly. We've all been raised to eat those 3 meals a day. Try five or six a day and still stay in what ever you are choosing for your caloric intake. Just a thought, not a science. Good Luck. Hang in there.
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Lots of interesting feedback.
  • alphabettie
    alphabettie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great hints and tips - a "bump" for me!
  • mkitts2011
    Options
    Yes, try zig-zagging your calories. Ever 3rd day eat all of your calories. It tricks your body into letting go of some of the weight. Also, thing quality of food. Whole food calories are processed better than junk food calories. more lean protein > grains. Oh, and switch up your exercise routine every 2-3 weeks to throw your body a curve ball. Good luck!
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I also work out 5 times a week for approx 60-90 minutes. I try not to eat my extra calories earned from exercise. I try to stick to around 1300 per day.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary, its hard for people to help!! It could be that you cal level is ok, but your food choices are causing you to retain water - eg too much sodium/ processed food. My diary is open if you want a look - I nearly always met my cals, but still ate too much cake / takeaway food etc. from last week I've been really trying to cut that down and get in 5 fruit and veg, and also meet my protein and calcium goals.
    I'm 5'4, started at 244.8lbs, am down to 221lbs in 3 months.
    My initial cals were 1900, I'm now on 1740, exercise 60-90 mins 5x week so net around 1200-1300 and losing 1-2 lbs most weeks.
    My maintenance is 2160, mfp gives me 1660 net for 1lbs or 1200 for 1.8lbs. I couldn't cope on only 1200 plus eating back exercise, as I'm more hungry on non gym days for some reason, so I'm set to lose 0.8 lbs from diet that way my cals are more even instead of 1200 rest days / 2000+ gym days, and use exercise to create rest of deficit to lose another lb. I've also increased my protein goal from15 to 25%
    Some days I'm over cals, some days I'm under, it generally adds up over the week. I've not had a week where I've put on or stalled since I started, there has always been a loss, even if it's only a small one it All counts!
  • happymom1197
    Options
    Sounds like u already have a plan :) U work out a lot, so the payoff is eating more calories. I would add high-calorie foods like nuts or nut-butters.

You are gorgeous! Don't get discouraged. Sometimes your body might need to re-group. Try switching up your workouts if increasing your calories doesn't work.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yes, try zig-zagging your calories. Ever 3rd day eat all of your calories. It tricks your body into letting go of some of the weight. Also, thing quality of food. Whole food calories are processed better than junk food calories. more lean protein > grains. Oh, and switch up your exercise routine every 2-3 weeks to throw your body a curve ball. Good luck!

I'm going to try this, thanks :) x