Tips and Tricks to get out of bed early in the morning?

Options
so at night im always so motivated to get up early and go for a run, but when my alarm goes off, i just turn it off and go back to sleep. im gonna try putting my alarm on the other side of the room so i have to get up to turn it off, anyone else got any other ideas?

Replies

• helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    there is no way you'd find me exercising instead of catching that precious extra 30 mins! If you do want to stick to exercise go at a time that suits you. I exercise as soon as I come home at 3pm. The rest of my family come home at 5pm so there is 2 hours to just get hot and sweaty and it's then done for the night!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I usually tell myself that I am going to go warm up and if I'm still tired after the warm-up I can go back to bed, but of course once you're up, you're up! I have also tried sleeping in my work out clothes. That didn't really work for me, but it might work for you. When all else fails I think about how much more I get to eat if I get up! Good luck! x
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Drink water at night so it wakes you up early.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm another firm believer that if you're not a morning person you're just not going to stick with it whatever, so I make time after work or at lunchtime and morning is only a last resort!

As well as putting your alarm clock cross the room, lay out all your exercise gear out so you just have to slip into it while barely awake. So long as you're not going for more than an hour, skip breakfast and have it when you get back, but do drink some water or have a cup or tea or coffee.
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    I have a alarm app on my phone that makes you solve math problems to snooze/turn off the alarm, does the job nicely =)
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Go to bed 30 min early so as to make time in the am for your workout.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    wear your workout gear to bed ;)
    go to bed at 7pm the night before....you'll be ready to wake up

I'm a night owl....worked out in the a.m. and again at 12:30 a.m (yes after midnight) Wish I could do it all before my people wake up for the day, but I cannot.
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    Put your alarm on the other side of your bedroom, you'll have to get up to turn it off =)

Edit to add that I didn't read the part where you said you tried that :blushing:
  • marlee123
    Options
    there is no way you'd find me exercising instead of catching that precious extra 30 mins! If you do want to stick to exercise go at a time that suits you. I exercise as soon as I come home at 3pm. The rest of my family come home at 5pm so there is 2 hours to just get hot and sweaty and it's then done for the night!

yeah but its summer in australia right now so its really really hot at night. the only cool time is early in the morning.
  • marlee123
    Options
    I have a alarm app on my phone that makes you solve math problems to snooze/turn off the alarm, does the job nicely =)

hahaha thats genius! whats it called?
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    ah, well then yes, drink loads of water so you need a pee!!

Make sure the windows are shut so you're gasping for air and have to go and open them.

I admit these are sneeky things to do. I'd still prefer the extra half hour ha ha!!!

How about early evening is it too hot then, like 5pm?
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Turn on all the lights in your room when you get up to turn off the alarm that's on the other side (hint: put it near a light source). The light will help to wake you up.

Also the drinking water thing so you'll have to hit the bathroom - where you should turn on all the lights as well.
  • mommynmotion
    mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    There is an alarm clock that, when it starts going off, it jumps off your night stand and rolls around on the floor so you have to chase it! And another that flys across the room....
  • marlee123
    Options
    ah, well then yes, drink loads of water so you need a pee!!

Make sure the windows are shut so you're gasping for air and have to go and open them.

I admit these are sneeky things to do. I'd still prefer the extra half hour ha ha!!!

How about early evening is it too hot then, like 5pm?

its 30C (86F if the internet convertor is correct) until about 10pm. at night really isnt a possibility at the moment.
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I am not a morning person, but I think I've become one over the past few months. mommynmotion is talking about clocky. I have that but don't use it. It made me a little cranky when I couldn't get it out from under my bed. hahaha. I set my alarm (which I always turn off) and I set my cell alarm in the living room a half hour later. As soon as my phone goes off I jump up, turn on my light and go turn it off. I've been doing this since the end of October and it's been working great. Hope you find something that works for you.
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and for me it was just a habit. I've learned to turn the alarm off and immediately move my feet off the bed. I'll sit there for a minute waking up, Then a quick stretch and my day starts.

Good luck
  • joandhan
    Options
    thats maths alarm clock sounds .. hidious !
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options

hahaha thats genius! whats it called?

"alarm clock xtreme" (for android). I have it set to start off quietly and get louder over a minute or so, with nice soft music+ bird chirping. Sure beats the BEEP BEEP BEEP of my old alarm clock
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at getting up in the morning, it doesn't matter how early i've gone to bed, i just cannot get up early.

I've tried putting my alarm clock in another room, i just end up turning it off and going back to sleep. It is ridiculous.

I have to exercise when I get in from work. I get in, prep dinner, then workout for 30mins or so then cook dinner. The food being on its way seems to motivate me!
  • justkate2
    justkate2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    so at night im always so motivated to get up early and go for a run, but when my alarm goes off, i just turn it off and go back to sleep. im gonna try putting my alarm on the other side of the room so i have to get up to turn it off, anyone else got any other ideas?

I getting ready to leave for the gym right now. I have found that as soon as the alarm goes off you need to get your feet on the floor then just go from there. I sometimes try to talk myself out of it, but i know its just me being lazy. I agree it works better if your an early riser and I just really like to get the exercise done before work. Well its time for me to hit the gym Have a terrific day! Kate