low fat vs low calorie

Options
Anyone know what is the better food option? One that is lower in fat but has more calories or the one that has less calories but more fat???

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't bad for you in reasonable amounts. Calories are what make you fat, not the actual fat content of your food. Low-fat tends to be full of sugar and salt to make up for the loss of fatty flavor, so I tend to just stick with full-fat stuff, in smaller amounts if need be to meet my calorie goals.
  • AngelUK
    AngelUK Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You'd need to look into this but I'm pretty sure there's a ratio of fat to calories you're supposed to follow - something like you shouldn't get more than 30% of your calories from fat. I can't remember exactly but it all comes down to balance! Might depend on how active you are too.

Sorry, not the straightforward answer you were after.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You need fat. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Going over your calories makes you fat. Focus on calorie intake
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Fat is not the enemy.
  • brandychick
    brandychick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I normally ignore the bit that states how much fat is in a food, and go directly to the bit that tells me how much of that fat is saturated...cause that's the bad fat!
    Fat is not bad for you in general but I think a good balance between fat and calories are necessary!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The only fat to stay away from is transfats since you body cant process it. Also, fat free things tend to be very processed which is worse for you.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited to see all of the fat proponents. They're right-- fat is wonderful when it's from natural sources. It will keep you FULL! It helps to keep the glycemic index of the foods you eat nice and low (which again, keeps you full!)! It makes your hair and nails healthy!

Fat does not make you fat! Eat moderate calorie and no less than 30% fat (I personally aim for 45-50% as I am low carb) from NATURAL sources. Not any trans fat/GMO/processed junk! Your body will thank you. I know mine has!

**Also: I've done a TON of research on this, and IMHO, even saturated fat is NOT what they make it out to be. Most of my fat comes from meat and dairy and my cholesterol and blood pressure have significantly decreased since I started eating that way. That's not to say that unsaturated fat is bad, I just think natural, unaltered fat is key. That's just me 'n my books, though! :) Good luck!
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, pay more attention to your total calories, as that will dictate how much weight you lose or gain. That said, if you're getting all those calories from fat, your diet will still be crap and you'll feel like hell. Watch the fat, but focus on the calories.
  • Andaw
    Andaw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I tend to watch both, but only the saturated fats. As a general rule, if something's got more than 3g of saturated fat per 100g, then I will generally put it back on the shelf.
  • richmgio
    richmgio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually eat as much good fat as I want and hardly ever count it. I've been continuously losing weight for 3 weeks now. I make sure to count my caloric and carb intake as well as exercising on most days of the week.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I normally ignore the bit that states how much fat is in a food, and go directly to the bit that tells me how much of that fat is saturated...cause that's the bad fat!
    Fat is not bad for you in general but I think a good balance between fat and calories are necessary!

Saturated fat is not a bad fat.....trans fat is bad. The lipid hypothesis has never been proven.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If your question is which processed food option is better. Neither. Choose whole, natural foods and then you get the best of both worlds, and you don't necessarily have to choose between low fat or low calories.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Saturated fat is not a bad fat.....trans fat is bad. The lipid hypothesis has never been proven.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :D ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • liltig717
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! I was an athlete my whole life and never had to worry about calories and fat or what I eat. But since graduating college, having 2 kids, i no longer have the time to workout like i used too. So learning how to eat the right way at 32 is a little overwhelming LOL .. so thank you!!!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I usually stay away from low fat foods unless it's naturally low in fat. Like greek yogurt for example - it has 0carbs 0fat 18g protein and 100 calories per serving. Same with tuna - per can it's 100 calories, >1carb, >1fat but 22protein. Other than that, low fat foods usually contain much more sugar and sodium.