Is anyone else set up for 1200 calories???

Options
I recently updated my settings having lost about three quarters of my weight I changed my settings to lose 2lbs per week as my final push towards my goal weight, however it has dropped me down to 1200 calories. I do exercise daily and 2 or 3 times a week I train and burn an additional 1000 cals, but on my light exercise days I'm struggling to stay at or around 1200, it feels like an unrealistic target, and I've read a fair amount about 1200 calories NOT being good for you.

Is anyone else set up for this and/or struggling with this, I'm curious to get other peoples feedback.

I had a bad week and felt like I was sabotaging myself so today I changed my goal back to 1lb per week and it has increased my allowance to 1370

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to stick with 1200 net every day since I started last year. I'm 5ft2. Like you, I do lots of exercise and with an extra 700 cals or so its easy to stick to if you eat your exercise calories back. On rest/light days I find it hard. I just try my best to stick with it - or if you have some "leftover" cals from a high exercise day the previous day then let them carry over. I tend to concentrate on my average over the week and not worry about small differences over one particular day.

Hope that helps.

If you are finding you don't have enough energy from the 1200 net then maybe you should set to lose 1 1/2 per week? Might be more realistic.

And of course - AMAZING JOB ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS SO FAR. I have no doubt that you will make it to the finish.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    i used to be on 1200 cals a day, but now im half way to my goal, and have hit many plateaus i have upped to 1400 a day, and it seems to be helping to budge the scales :)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I was set at 1200. I've upped to 1300 and I have spike/cheat days where I eat up to 1600.
    Generally I eat my exercise calories but some days I don't as I read that your body can't get used to fluctuating calories as easily and therefore it helps weight loss (to have up and down days) But I'm new to all this and a lot seems to be opinion based...?
  • kellyh2
    kellyh2 Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi, I have been on 1200 calories for quite a while now, i have the odd day where I find it hard but most days I find this a reasonable amount to stick too. If i feel the need to eat more than 1200 then I just do a small workout to add a few extra calories.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    1200 is realistic if you are excercising and eating atleast most of your excercise calories back. 1200 is hard to stay with but it is possible! Good luck!
  • kathycod
    kathycod Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi same as KellyH below, I'm on 1200, for some reason I really struggle on a Friday and feel quite weak. But generally trying to burn as many calories as possible so I can eat an extra 100/200 cals. And can I say congratulations on the pounds you have lost, very inspirational, well done.
  • fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm on 1200 and finding it really good. I'm eating all day (grazing), it's just about good food choices, it doesn't mean you have to skimp on food. I eat lots of protein (eggs, fish, chicken), oatmeal bread, little red meat (once a week), lots of fruit and veg and plenty of water. I don't have a problem with it at all.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If it's difficult for you than I think you did the right thing. You'll still be losing wait and you won't feel deprived doing it. Do what works for you.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I found that on 1200 calories I felt horrible and didn't have enough energy left. If you are close to your goal, you should be shooting for .5 a week, not 2.
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... its interesting to read your take on it. I've changed my settings to lose 1lb per week and its increased my cals. to what I think will be a more achievable goal. I was feeling like I didn't have enough energy and for the first time in this 18 month journey I really felt like I was depriving myself like I was on a "diet" vs living with a change of lifestyle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are within 20 lbs of your goal then you should decrease your deficit to. 5lbs per week. As you approach your goal you body fights to conserve calories and body fat so its important to feed your system.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You lost 105lbs already, why would you change anything?
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    She may have lost 105, but if she's feeling deprived, she's likely to quit.
    If you're hungry, try more fruits and veggies, and water. If that doesn't work, up your calories. Or up your calories and accept a lower wieght loss rate. Both are acceptable and neither is right for everyone.

Congrats on a huge accomplishment :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to goal, the less of a loss per week your goal should be. Try setting it to 1 or 1/2 pound per week instead of two. The site will never give you a goal of less than 1200 calories (W.H.O. determined to be the minimum calories a women requires in order to avoid malnutrition). But that may be too little if you are working out hard. See what the goal is if you set it to 1 pound?
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    First off I just have to say the calorie calculator for this is just.......not good. It greatly under estimates the amount of calories you should intake. In speaking with a friend that is a trainer and a dietitian, the calorie allotment that it shows on here was off in most cases by over 300 calories. As an example, it tells me to lose 2lb a week I need to be at 1500 cal, when in actuallity it should be 1850-2000 with a 5 day training schedule. Of course some days I fall in under the 1600 mark(circuit trainin + cardio days), but not all of them and I have continued to lose 2-3lbs of fat and gaining muscle each week by eating healthier calories and a 5 day gym schedule.

Remember also in the end its not a daily thing its a weekly/monthly thing, if you have a deficit of 200 calories today and a surplus of 100 calories each for the next 2 days at the end of the week(or each weigh in) you will have netted the same weight loss in MOST cases.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Hi there,

At 1.5 pounds a week, I was set up at 1240. That was way too little as I not only plateau'd but I was also feeling hungry all the time. I've upped my cals to 1480 and feel much better! Plus, the scale is once again moving :noway: I also eat back most of my work-out calories (+- 100-150 cals). The thing is you can't keep dropping your calories as eventually you won't be eating enough and you'll stop losing. Eating should be a positive experience. It took me a long time to understand that.

Great job on the 105 pounds lost!
  • mitzey123
    Options
    I started 2 days ago and I am on 1200 calories, I seem to have gained 400 – 600 calories a day from working out.... am I suppose to eat all those calories? Seems a lot especially when 1200 is enough for me .. Help!
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    you should definitely be replenishing some, but its not necessary to replenish 100%, consider a whey protien shake for before and after workouts.

Can easily find one that is under 130 calories and adds about 20-25g of protien for muscle recovery
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I started 2 days ago and I am on 1200 calories, I seem to have gained 400 – 600 calories a day from working out.... am I suppose to eat all those calories? Seems a lot especially when 1200 is enough for me .. Help!

Yes you should eat back those calories. And if you think 1200 calories is a lot then you need to start eating higher calorie foods.
  • mitzey123
    Options
    okay thanks for your feedback :happy: