1/2 cup of Walnuts = 400 calories....Are they worth it?

Options
I am on a 1400 cal plan and on days I am not working out I am going over the 1400 limit by about 200 cals. The Walnuts are the culprit, but I am thinking that it is worth it becasue Walnuts are a good addition to my diet.

Any Suggestions?

Replies

• nose6
    nose6 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup is a lot. Maybe switch to 1/4 cup?

How are you eating them? When I eat walnuts, I usually add them to something else, like oatmeal or yogurt or salad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Walnuts are incredibly healthy, but you probably don't need that many each day.
  • winterwolf227
    winterwolf227 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am eating them plain. 1/4 cup is 200 cals. So I am not really eating that mch
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you have them on oatmeal (or porridge as we say in England) then blend them, and you're probably not going to need as many! Is your diary open? If so, I could take a look at it and give you some feedback?
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    400 calories just from nuts probably isnt worth it but...as a bloke you;re not really supposed to drop below 1500 (1200 i the minimum for women, 1500 for men) So you get an extra 100 calories to play with and remember that you can exercise to "earn" more calories
  • kittyneutron
    kittyneutron Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How many walnuts is a half cup? Maybe try eating 3 or 4 walnuts instead and see how you feel.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Learning to eat healthy is a lot about portion control. A portion of walnut is only 0.5 oz- 1 oz..

Use nut sparingly!
  • lottiepop01
    lottiepop01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth it......... walnuts are the super nut, the nut of all nuts just keep your portions down. :happy:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A full half cup is a LOT! Try weighing out an ounce. There's enough fat, fiber and protein in an ounce to be satisfying without blowing your calories.