Protein ideas

Options
I need ideas on what Proteins to eat. I'm reading a book and read that my diet for my body type should be 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs..........all while staying within my calorie limit. And ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• leestanley3
    leestanley3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nuts, Cheese (becareful they are high in fat), Egg whites, Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Lamb are all high in protein, I tend to plan and prepare when seriously focused otherwise just look at it and see if a cave man could have eaten it?? If its been processed or manufactered then dont eat it.

Hope ths helps Good luck :-)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Fresh Tuna is protein happy.... 4oz yields 26.4g
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    what lee mentioned but I suggest adding protein shakes to you daily diet, some are very low carb with high protein. The one I take, strawberry flavor has 26g per scoop. Quick way to get some very fast absorbing protein to your muscles, then also eat protein rich food that was mentioned. There's also a protein call Casein, it is a slow release protein unlike whey which is quick. Casein when taken in the morning it provides protein through out the day.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Lots of foods have protein but carry other macros (fats and carbs) with them. When I are trying to lose weight I'm trying to find the most calorie efficient way to consume protein.

Lean animal products give the most protein per calorie. Chicken breast is the winner I think in that category. Lean fish, 93/7 ground beef,and lean hams (trimming the visible fat)are also good choices based on amount of protein per calorie. Legumes are good but carry carbs with them.

lowfat greek yogurt- the unflavored variety doesn't have the carbs that fruit flavors have. But I cheat and sprinkle crystal light in it and it tastes just like flavored yogurt. It also make a good substitute for sour cream.

I also utilize whey protein supplements, usually twice per day This gives me around 50g for about 250 calories. But I stay hungry so I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them.
  • kimmid70
    kimmid70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lol. Good rule!! Thanks for the info
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Lots of foods have protein but carry other macros (fats and carbs) with them. When I are trying to lose weight I'm trying to find the most calorie efficient way to consume protein.

Lean animal products give the most protein per calorie. Chicken breast is the winner I think in that category. Lean fish, 93/7 ground beef,and lean hams (trimming the visible fat)are also good choices based on amount of protein per calorie. Legumes are good but carry carbs with them.

lowfat greek yogurt- the unflavored variety doesn't have the carbs that fruit flavors have. But I cheat and sprinkle crystal light in it and it tastes just like flavored yogurt. It also make a good substitute for sour cream.

I also utilize whey protein supplements, usually twice per day This gives me around 50g for about 250 calories. But I stay hungry so I prefer to eat my calories, not drink them.

haha, I do both, goal is 300gm of protein a day. I can't eat that much.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. My morning snack during the weekdays consists of 3/4 cup of 1% cottage cheese mixed with about 1/2 cup of non-fat berry yogurts, and a couple tablespoons of rolled oats.

That gives me 280 cals, 31g protein, 29g carbs, and 4g fat...yummy and filling.

Also, like someone mentioned, a protein shake is a good way to get extra protein. The product I use - Precision Sport Supplements IsoPro Low Carb Whey - has 35g of protein, 1g carb, 0.3g fat and only 150 cals. I mix that with 1% milk and have it with my cereal in the morning instead of just plain milk.
  • kimmid70
    kimmid70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas:happy:
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good to know how other people do it- thanks!
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I love Kay's Naturals protein pretzels (Gluten free too!) follow the link to find my favorite flavor! I also love soy milk and other veggie proteins since I am allergic to cows milk!
    http://kaysnaturals.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=43
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lentils! (Red, green, split peas, etc)

Watch the sodium on the cottage cheese if you go that route.