Half marathon HELP!!!

Options
So I took a step and signed up for a half marathon in October. I'm nervous, excited, scared, anxious...you name it I feel it. Does anyone have any tips or training suggestions to help me along my journey? I don't want to just finish, I want to be able to say I ran the whole thing without walking!

Replies

• Floridaboiler
    Floridaboiler Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of training plans available online. Look for Hal Higdon, he has some good ones.

Find a plan that feels comfortable to you and just follow it. If work or life makes you alter the schedule a little, don't let it bother you, it won't hurt you. The biggest thing is to be safe as you bump your weekly mileage.

If you have any specific questions post them here and I can try and answer them.

I am by no means an expert but I have been running for 10+ years now and I have completed a bunch of 1/2 marathons and marathons.

Good Luck!!
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Check out ACTIVE.COM and RUNNERSWORLD.COM.... they always have great articles, tips, etc. for running and training... no matter what distance.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, a lot of people use Hal Higdon's training programs; others swear by Jeff Galloway's. I'd search both of those on Google and pick whichever one looks good to you. The main thing is to increase your weekly distance and speed *gradually* to prevent injury, which can keep you from running the race.

Just find a training plan and follow it - I'm sure you'll do great!

Happy running!
  • kimmycj13
    Options
    Thank you. I will be sure to look at those sites.I figure 9 months should be plenty of time to slowly increase my distance and speed, which is why I am starting now and not 10 weeks before the race!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You definitely have plenty of time - smart planning! :-)
  • Remy11
    Remy11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for the half in May. I joimed a group to train with for my long runs and it makes a huge difference- at least for me. You may want to see if there is a group in your area. It's a great support sytem as well since everyone is working towards the same goal. Good luck!
  • kimmycj13
    Options
    I didn't know that they had groups like that! Awesome!! I will look up area ones!!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for one for the Feb 25th. I did 15km yesterday. To my suprise and shock, im not even feeling stiff today.
  • kimmycj13
    Options
    I have done some 5k's in the past but nothing ever over that. This how now become more of a personal challenge to prove to myself that I can do it. But with all the encouragement I have received from people today my confidence has been elevated significantly!!!
  • Remy11
    Options
    I just saw that you are from Columbus too. I am currently training with Marathoner in Training (MIT). It's a great place for beginners!
  • Scoobiesnax
    Scoobiesnax Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Best of luck with your first half marathon ! My best tips would be to not try to do too much too soon, gradually increase your distances and don't increase your total distance by more than 9% or 10% a week, you risk injury that way. Your body will need time to adjust to the extra miles.
    Also I highly recommend pullback weeks, instead of increasing your lon g runs every single week, increse them for 3 weeks then pull back the next week. This again will help your body to recover and strengthen itself.
    As far as training plans go, I used Hal Higdon's half marathon plan for my first one and it worked well. I have also used John Stanton's training plans for a full marathon as well and that worked for me too. Basically find one that you think will suit your time constraints, lifestyle, and running preferences.
    Good luck !
  • kimmycj13
    Options
    Thank you all! Remy11 are you from Columbus too?
  • Remy11
    Options
    Kimmycj13-Yes, I'm from Columbus too. Feel free to add me to your friends list if you would like.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It has pretty much been said. Find a training program that you are comfortable with. Make sure you are adding miles slowly to avoid injury. Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway have great programs. I do my own special mix of the two of them lol. I also suggest finding a partner who has done the distance before to help you with long runs. I have some friends that run much more than I do and they were invaluable in my training helping me pace myself and know what to expect.

The only specific advice I would give from personal experience is if you do a test race make sure you have plenty of time in between your test race and the actual race. Last year I signed up for a half mary in October. In September I ran a 14 mile trail race thinking it would be a good test run to not worry about time and complete the distance. I ended up hurting myself and not being in top form for my race. Good luck :)
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There is a program called Couch to Marathon. It walks you day by day from being a couch potato to running in a marathon. It takes you in realistic steps.
  • aTROOPSTER
    Options
    As someone else said, see if you can find a runner's group. I joined one that was actually training for a half (though some people, myself included, didn't actually run it).

We had one day of long runs, two days of timed runs, and a couple days of cross training thrown in.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • bcraig26
    bcraig26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1. Find a training plan.
    2. Don't do too much too fast.
    3. Have fun!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of half-marathons! I've walked nine halfs all over the US and will do #10 this May at Cincy's Flying Pig. It's been a life enhancing hobby for me and the race organizers and fellow marathoners are AWESOME!

I'd strongly recommend you read John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals. Very helpful guide.

Good luck!