Waist Larger than Hips/Butt

Options
Hey everyone! I often hear about people complaining about their hips, but not their waist!! Am I an oddity?? Currently, I have 47.5 inch hips and 53 inch waist. It drives me bonkers!! So either I have really baggy pants in the butt/hips and fit fine on the waist, or I have pants that fit perfectly from the hips down, but tight on the waist. I guess I am apple shaped, though I also have SMALL thighs and calves. I've been doing ab work and cardio, but I guess I'll just have to lose more fat in order to get that smaller waist. I was wondering if anyone else out there is sharing in the frustration of having a waist larger than my hip/butt measurement! I do have PCOS, I have been taking Metformin and I am losing weight/inches but not from my midsection. Anyone else frustrated or have HELPFUL advice???

Replies

• banananisme
    banananisme Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi! I always had that problem... Well until now.
    My belly was 39 inches and my hips 38. Not a huge difference but still it was bothering me.

When I started MFP I was 154lbs (5'6.5"), I started the 30 day shred & in the first week lost an inch off the belly! I was afraid it wouldn't last, but 2 weeks later I'm 36.5 inches & lost 12.6 pounds. My legs are quite small & my upper body is/was lager. The hardest thing for me is to notice & accept that I'm getting smaller in my upper body.

So now I think I need to lose weight slowly & keep exercising & in the long run my belly will be less big & my body shape will be more balanced.

I thought I couldn't lose inches anymore but I proved myself wrong :-)

Hope this helps

*oh the first two weeks I was also running outside for 15-20 minutes, 3-4 times a week & kept my intake between 1200 and 1500 kcals
  • MariaL93
    MariaL93 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I also have the same exact problem. I have always carried my weight in my belly. I have muscle tone and hape to my legs then I have this huge belly. I HATE jeans, my children laugh at my saggy jeans now. But its getting better with the more weight I loose. I do cardio more than anything and just started to do planks. Keep up the good work! You can add me if you would like.

Maria
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have the same problem too! I have lost a inch or so from doing the 30 day shred. I am hoping to lose more! I also started to add doing curcuit training and the eliptical a few days a week. Fingers crossed!!
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I thought I was a loner. LOL This is the first time I've actually tracked inches instead of weight alone. How often should you re-measure yourself?? I weigh in once weekly, but figured that was too often for measurements.
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    I have no butt either. I pull my jeans straight on without unbuttoning or unzipping them - rather convenient in gym restrooms lol. I'm hoping to get an actual waistline when i get in shape but i'm also high waisted and high waisted jeans went out in the 80's. maybe they will come back!
  • jcmorrison25
    jcmorrison25 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA!!!! I have not had to unbutton a pair of jeans or any bottoms for that matter, EVER, that I can remember! I get so frustrated that everything slides down or rolls down!! Oh how I want a waist!
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    I want one too JC and yup i have the same problem with jeans slipping down and always having to be pulled up or my backside is saggy
  • asterisks
    asterisks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is a new problem for me. I've always had a big butt and curvy hips, but ever since I started losing weight it seems I lost either fat or muscle from my legs butt and hips, because even though I've gone from over a size 14 to a size 10, my waist is still large, and now there seems to be no definition where my hips used to come and flair. I don't know what to do, and frankly I'm worried if I diet anymore I'm gonna end up completely barrel shaped!

I don't suppose anyone has any advice?
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm a belly-weight carrier, too. When I started, my waist and hips were about the same........actually, ALL of me was about the same! An inch or two difference between bust/waist/hips.................. I had to buy pants to fit the waistline, and the rest of them were always SO baggy. Elastic waists were my friend.

Currently, I have lost about 4 inches from my waist (24 lbs lost.) My waist is about a 34 now, my hips about a 38. Haven't measured the bustline, but that's gone down a bit, too, I"m sure.

So, I think if you just keep working at it, and eat LOTS of fiber (the more you poo, the flatter your tummy gets ;), you'll get there...................................
  • CHawkins32
    Options
    I was up googling things like " my waist is wider than my hips..I came across your page..my thing is my tummy is WIDE not real. real fat..my hips and legs are those of a14 year old atheletic BOY..lol My boobs are HUGE and Ijust look like sponge bob !! It's so frustrating..I wish I had these hips people are fussing about :(I'm losing weight and shrinking but the shape is staying the same..Idon't mind being a big girl I just want more of an hour glass figure.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's an apple body type. Store fat all on the midsection. I am like this too and I struggle just to look like I have a waist! I rarely gain on my bust or thighs. My belly (below my belly button) is usually the same measurement as my bust. For example:

At 144lbs:
    37 bust
    31 waist
    37 belly
    38 hips

Only when I lose fat does my belly measurement start to creep behind my bust measurement. At 136lbs:
    36 bust
    29.5 waist
    35.5 belly
    38 hips

Even at my lightest of 130lbs, the smallest I could ever get my waist to is 28". I'm sure if I were to gain a lot of weight, my belly would exceed my bust/hips in no time. You are right in that losing weight is the only way to shrink the waist. I know from experience that doing loads of core-targeting workouts will not do as much as losing overall fat will. You will just build muscle UNDER your fat.

I find what helps me shrink my waist is to cut out bread, cereal & pasta. I'm not implying that carbs are evil but I've read up on "carb-sensitivity" and suspected I have it. People who are carb-sensitive tend to store belly fat and after eating carbs, they feel bloated and tired. Once I cut these things out, I felt much lighter & energetic! I do eat bread time to time but I just make sure not to exceed 2 slices in one day. When I do cut carbs, my waist shrinks within the first week!
  • EyeOnThePrize82
    Options
    I gave up gluten and lost 2" of my waist AND abs in 2 days! Quit and it came back. I'm trying again. I know I have a wheat belly. I went off again yesterday and dropped 6lbs. It's awful for me. Makes me retain water and store fat in my belly.

I often am jealous of pears and their tiny waists. I am 5'6" and even at 112lbs, my waist was 25.5" it was flat, but I was wide compartively. It wasn't til under 120lbs that I got an hourglass figure. Now, 12 years and 5 children later....my waist is 33.5" my abs 39" and my hips 39" I still look PG! My pants are always sagging down and a belt causes muffin top:(
  • girlonamission2013
    Options
    So funny because I just typed in waist is bigger then hips on google and seen this. I can relate all I see is people complaining about hips I was like I so cant relate. But this helps me realise Im not alone and I will do this :)
  • lmgleo
    lmgleo Posts: 1
    Options
    I've always had a very large waist. I am 5'7" and have legs with a 35" inseam, so I am very short-waisted. When I was young, say 18-19 years old, my bust and hips were 36" and 37" respectively and my waist was 29" Now that I am much older, my hips are 41", my bust is like 47" and my waist is 46". Where my hips are pretty much the same considering 40 years have past, my bust and waist have exploded. I've always had thin arms and legs and still do, so I look like a potato head toy. I hate it.
  • swtpepper
    swtpepper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I have really been struggling with it. Especially since I am at my largest weight ever. It seems that every thing I eat or drink goes straight to my midsection. I've had quite a few medical problems lately and that hasn't helped. I can't bring myself to even measure myself....I walk around looking about 9 month pregnant. I've had people ask me when I was due. It's a horrible feeling....I can't shop for clothes unless it's stretchy. I have very small bird legs, small thighs ( except the fatty parts in the groin area) then I have a nice muscled round bottom ( I get a lot of compliments on it) but then my stomach is as wide and fat as a soon to be mother....I just don't know what to do! With my surgeries and my health right now, exercise is ( much of it) is out of the questions. Does anyone know of any changes in diet or diet pills that might help?
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My best friend is apple shaped and has pcos too. It's the shape most associated with pcos/increased sensitivity testosterone . The best thing you can do is to lose weight and get the hormones under control _ which is hard if you have insulin resistance. Low carb seems to help though.
  • daisy888mfp
    daisy888mfp Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have the same problem. Huge gut, itty bitty thighs. I can never find pants! Hoping as I lose more weight, my stomach will finally shrink as well. I've also heard about the low carb diet helping.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I often hear about people complaining about their hips, but not their waist!! Am I an oddity?? Currently, I have 47.5 inch hips and 53 inch waist. It drives me bonkers!! So either I have really baggy pants in the butt/hips and fit fine on the waist, or I have pants that fit perfectly from the hips down, but tight on the waist. I guess I am apple shaped, though I also have SMALL thighs and calves. I've been doing ab work and cardio, but I guess I'll just have to lose more fat in order to get that smaller waist. I was wondering if anyone else out there is sharing in the frustration of having a waist larger than my hip/butt measurement! I do have PCOS, I have been taking Metformin and I am losing weight/inches but not from my midsection. Anyone else frustrated or have HELPFUL advice???[/quote
    OMG! Yes! I have a 47" waist and 46" hips and 51" bust I am an apple shape and real thin arms and legs so Old navy jeans look saggy on me cuz I am all stomach too! I thought I was the only one!