Happy...but also sad

Options
LizV32
LizV32 Posts: 127 Member
I have been doing the 30 DS for about 8 days, plus counting my calories. I lost about 2 pounds and an inch in my waist, hips, thighs, arms, and chest! Which I am so happy and proud of. I am a little sad because it just seems like the pounds on the scale are not going down like I want them to! Am I overreacting? Don't get me wrong I am happy the inches are coming off...I just thought that I would be losing more pounds along with the inches.

Replies

• Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hola!!

When you build muscle, you retain water in order to repair them. Don't be disheartened but I'd ignore the scales until you've done the 30 days then take all your measurements again including your weight!
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    From what i've read AND my own personal experience the shred is about inch loss. For these 30 days, ignore the scales! My weight went up and down in the first two weeks as I was retaining so much water due to muscle soreness. Now i'm in week four and the pounds are starting to go down again, but the best thing for me is the inches. Lots and lots gone! Last time I did it I lost 1lb (wasn't eating very healthily though!) BUT 12.5 inches!!!!! This time round so far i'm 6lbs down and i'm not doing my inches again until the very end but I had a sneaky measure the other week and i've lost quite a few again!
    Dont be disheartened, just look at the tape measure, not the scale! xxx
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    As others of said on MFP (very good advice) weigh after a rest day for your true weight.
  • dsreilly
    dsreilly Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 and up 2lb from 3 days ago, I'm putting my scales in the loft until a few days after i finish, i guess i will measure then too....and take pics :) I'f it is leaving you feeling fitter and healthier (and smaller) guessing there ent much to complain about, i'd rather look slimmer and weigh more, than look fatter and weigh less!!!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you posted this because I was having the same feelings this morning! I keep checking the scale but don't see the differences I was expecting for as hard as I am working out and trying... I have however noticed a difference in the way some of my clothes fit which is good. It's good to know there are more out there with similar questions as me.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    what the heck 2 lbs in 8 days is fantastic. Just keep at it.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Beauty ain't a number....
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    website boff, double-posted
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    nope your not over-reacting. I think everyone who had done the shred at least once knows that you dont loose too much weight but more inches. In the end I think thats better than the pounds. But just the satisfaction of the the scale going down means alot so I understand your frustration.

Im on Round 2 of level 3 and have only lost 2 pounds.....slowly but surely but I am pro at push ups now. Theres alot of be said about muscle! :)
  • LizV32
    LizV32 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was weighing myself everyday also, and I shouldn't do that because it depresses me! lol... I'll just weigh myself once a week and take measurements and STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!
  • SLKMERC
    SLKMERC Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    2lbs is great! I didn't loose much weight on 30DS just inches! It really pulled in my stomach area. I'm gonna loose some more weight and then do it again!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You have only been doing the exercises for 8days. Give your body time to adjust.

Keep up the good work though. :)
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The way I try to think of it is like this: If you're really heavier than you look (because of muscle) if someone tries to mess with you, they're in for a big surprise! Skinny girls look like they weigh nothing. Fit girls will weigh more and have more weight to throw behind the punch of anyone who wants to try something!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30DS, I gained 2 pounds by the end of the 30 days....HOWEVER, I was down an entire pants size, and had lost a total of 10.5 inches off my body....just ignore the scale, trust me!
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    You are doing great!!!! I know it is hard but don't worry about the scale so much right now and just keep going:) The inches will melt off and clothes will get bigger. I don't think I've stepped on a scale in a month but I did just buy my first pair of skinny jeans in a size I never would have thought I'd wear again. That feeling in the dressing room was better than if the scale said I lost 10 lbs:)

You are doing a great job and you will see results, just don't give up and don't worry about the scale:)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 DS for about 8 days, plus counting my calories. I lost about 2 pounds and an inch in my waist, hips, thighs, arms, and chest! Which I am so happy and proud of. I am a little sad because it just seems like the pounds on the scale are not going down like I want them to! Am I overreacting? Don't get me wrong I am happy the inches are coming off...I just thought that I would be losing more pounds along with the inches.

The time is going to pass and these inches and pounds are going to add up! You are doing it and its going to pay off. Think of this journey as a marathon, not a sprint. Its easy to get impatient but if you give up, the time will march on without you and you will be regretful you did not hold the course. Keep doing what you are doing and you will be rewarded in the end!

Regret or success, Its our choice!
    Keep up the great work!
    Deb
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was weighing myself everyday also, and I shouldn't do that because it depresses me! lol... I'll just weigh myself once a week and take measurements and STAY POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!

^ yes I had my hubby hide the scale cause i was obsessed with weighing every day. now i weight on fridays only. Dont weigh ever day. and keep it up, 2 lbs in 8 days is awesome by the way! :wink:
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I did the 30DS, I gained 2 pounds by the end of the 30 days....HOWEVER, I was down an entire pants size, and had lost a total of 10.5 inches off my body....just ignore the scale, trust me!

So here is a stupid question or maybe two..please forgive me...is it better to lose inches or pounds? :blushing: I am doing 30 day shred but can only do it every other day because I have a bad evil heel spur. With that in mind..I do the elliptical 6 days a week for some reason it doesn't hurt my heel. Am I being counter productive doing both? Why can't this be easy?? :laugh:
  • bethieannie
    bethieannie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Will I sound like an idiot if I was to ask what is 30ds?
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing Ripped in 30, which is similar, and I only lost 0.5 lbs. At first, I was disappointed to see that I wasn't getting the same results as the other ones, but it also depends on your weight. I have 35 lbs to lose, and numbers are not going down very fast.

My advice: measurements!!!! Even though the scale only went down 0.5 lbs for me in the last two weeks, inches are melting away on hips (-1 inch), waist (-1.25 inch), calves (-1 inch) and biceps (-1 inch). I'm starting to build a six-pack and I love it! You are slowly changing your body. So maybe your should forget about the scale for the next two weeks, and concentrate on measurements. That's what I do. Measurements don't lie, they tell you want's going on, and where.

Hang in there and you will see results! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!