Ideas on tummy exercises

Options
I've never had a flat tummy. I've always had a little belly and my mom said that's just how the girls in our family are built, with a little pooch. Are there any exercises where I can get a flatter tummy? Or is it genetically impossible, like my family says. Also, I did have a baby 10 months ago and I've heard that mommy belly is hard to get rid of. Also, I'm limited on time throughout the day. Help!

Replies

• JasmineAmber2012
    Options
    I've had two little ones and one of my daughters was very over due (she is 7mths now). I'm left with a belly that I'm hoping to get rid of too (but I'm not holding my breath - think I will always have something there now). I will keep reading to see if anyone has any suggestions that may help :-) Good luck xx
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    Here's a great site with every excercise you can think of, anytime I build a new gym routine I use this place as a reference.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/13/muscle/abdominals

Mix 2 or 3 different core excercises into every workout at the end or in the middle to break it up.
  • mczwright
    Options
    Here's a great site with every excercise you can think of, anytime I build a new gym routine I use this place as a reference.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/13/muscle/abdominals

Mix 2 or 3 different core excercises into every workout at the end or in the middle to break it up.

Wow, that's pretty neat! Thanks!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    it's difficult to spot reduce fat ( or impossible. But belly fat is controlledby hormones - cortisol the stress hormone is what causes us to store fat around the belly where as qestrogen tends to add it to hips/ thighs

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/11/001120072314.htm

a good nights sleep and exercises that are calming (yoga etc) may help
    make sure you drink plenty. keep the metabolism high with regular savoury / low sugar snacks ( cortisol is secreted as part of the insulin/ glucose metabolism

hope this helps.
  • mczwright
    Options
    it's difficult to spot reduce fat ( or impossible. But belly fat is controlledby hormones - cortisol the stress hormone is what causes us to store fat around the belly where as qestrogen tends to add it to hips/ thighs

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/11/001120072314.htm

a good nights sleep and exercises that are calming (yoga etc) may help
    make sure you drink plenty. keep the metabolism high with regular savoury / low sugar snacks ( cortisol is secreted as part of the insulin/ glucose metabolism

hope this helps.

Thank you so much!
  • qkidney
    qkidney Posts: 258
    Options
    Bump
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    try jefit.com or absolutefitness.com

those are both for smartphones but you can use them on the net too. i use jefit most of the time and like it. kind of at least. it's a tiny bit complicated to use in the beginning but gets easier once you get used to it. the instructions (with pics) for the exercises are pretty simple tho.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The person who was Shakira and Gwyneth Paltrow's trainer has a post-pregnancy workout that has great reviews on amazon, even by some women who weren't pregnant and used it to get rid of their tummies.

The trainer said she was 60lbs which is hard to believe looking at her now so I guess it must work, the celebrities she trained don't look like they've ever been pregnant either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anderson-Method-Presents-Post-Pregnancy-Workout/dp/B003FMUILQ/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__img_b

I've been doing it as my tummy is my problem area.. its definitely looking smaller!
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i'm doing Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pack right now, only a week in but it seems to be doing a pretty good job! I'd give that a try :) It uses HIIT with cardio and a lot of ab-muscle working exercises, so you burn fat all over (can't spot burn anything), but then when your fat is gone you'll have some lovely abs hiding underneath! lol
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've had that little pooch my whole life....and I truly believe it's related to diet. I've increased protein and do ab exercises every day...and it's almost gone.
  • cmgehrke
    cmgehrke Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    avoid wheat as much as possible...limit refined sugars. i do the Nike Training Club Ab Burner. It's a free app.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am with you on this one... Even at my most slender (which was about a size 4) I still had a bit of a pooch. My mom said that it was normal too... I have always hated that part of my stomach too and tried to hide it. My fiance loves it though...

I do a lot of calisthenics - using my own body weight to strengthen my core - in addition to cardio/fat burning exercises such as running and biking.

Good luck with your journey!
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack is my favorite! I still have a lot of belly to get rid of but I definintely feel the burn when I do that workout
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    ** bump ** will be back for the links in the post later!!! Man I love the MFP community!!
  • mczwright
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I guess it isn't just genetics. I'm definitely gonna look into a lot of these. :-) I don't have a smartphone but I have an Android Tablet. Any apps I could get on that?
  • bnv08
    bnv08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bumpp.