Help bordeom is setting in!

Options
Hi, relatively new to this dieting game and just getting a bit fed up of eating the same things everyday...

There's only so long you can have meat and salad for dinner before you get bored.

Any one have any good supper recipes????

Replies

• sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i have found that the best thing for me is to make dinner for the family. i have a hubby and a toddler and an infant. i do not make myself a special meal. and we all eat that. i just figure out the cals before hand and measure my food. i have been looking for recipes to try new things. the cauliflower pizza crust is amazing for lunch. tonigh we are having leftovers, yesterday we had parm. crusted tilipia for dinner (with beans and corn bread) and tommarow black and blue burgers prob with a salad or something.
  • emmakeatinh
    Options
    Wow you're really organised...I don;t have any children but have a 6ft6 partner who takes quite a lot of feeding (rivaling a horse)!!! Will try not to single myself out and cook separate meals as I find you resent what the other person is eating - I'll just inflate his portions a little.

Please let me know what parm. crusted tilipia is???? V curious!!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    The internet is your friend! Try Recipe.com, Allrecipes and others. There are websites for vegans, diabetics and eating light.
    Put in the search something like, chicken recipes, and you will have more ideas than you can cook in a month. My new favorite site is "Plain Chicken".
    Many grocery stores have recipe sections and many food manufacturers, such as Campbell and Borden, have recipes on their sites.
    Good luck and, by all means, try something New!

Carrot, Leek and Cardamom Soup

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon of ground black cardamom

3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, split down the centre, washed well and chopped

6 large carrots, peeled and chopped

4 cups homemade chicken stock or vegetable stock

Fine grain sea salt and freshly ground white pepper

In a medium sauce pan melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the cardamom and cook, stirring, for two minutes. Add the leeks, stir and cover with a lid and reduce the temperature to medium low. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until leeks are soft and fragrant. Do not brown the leeks.

Add the carrots and stock, some salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes until the carrots are tender.

Working in batches (no more than two cups at a time) purée the soup using a blender and then pour through a fine mesh sieve into a clean pot. Heat through and season with freshly ground white pepper and salt to taste.
    (I use an immersion blender in stead; it saves time.)

Makes 6 cups of soup
  • emmakeatinh
    Options
    Amazing thanks so much x
  • rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Google 'cook yourself thin'
    they have loads of recipes that have been slimmed down so you can still eat roughly what you would have eaten before. I made a chicken tikka masala the other night and I had enough calories left for a couple of poppadoms as well as a small portion of rice. Just serve up larger portions to your partner!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is make meals that you truly enjoy (so you don't feel cheated by your diet) and just reduce your portions - and if need be add in veggies to compensate for their being less meat/pasta/rice/etc. I still make all of my favorite meals but am much more conscious of how much of those meals I'm eating... often plating extra portions into tupperwear containers for lunch/dinner the next day while I'm making plates for me and the hubby. Typically 3-5 oz of meat/pork/chicken or up to 8 oz of fish (depending on the type) with 6 oz of steamed veggies is a very filling meal. I buy the frozen veggies that steam in the bag and throw them in the microwave. Half a bag is usually 6 oz and I always enjoy hot food more at night than salads. I keep tons of different calorie-free meat seasonings around (Montreal Steak/Chicken seasoning, Emeril's Burger BAM, Magic Meat/Fish, etc.) so that the meat has a lot of flavor regardless of broiling/baking. Also, you can experiment with different ethnic recipes to help spice things up. I love making chicken fajitas on low carb/whole grain wraps with peppers, onions, and a marinade of soy sauce, lime juice and a touch of sesame oil.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hi, relatively new to this dieting game and just getting a bit fed up of eating the same things everyday...

There's only so long you can have meat and salad for dinner before you get bored.

Any one have any good supper recipes????
    You gotta stop thinking this is a 'dieting game' - that mentality is part of your problem...

To be truthful, to solve your problem is very easy to do... but it requires your effort in research.

Look for recipe websites
    Try recipes from other countries
    Learn how to make appropriate and healthy substitutions in recipes that you would otherwise pass up....

Designate theme nights for meals.

Monday - Mexican
    Tuesday-Thai
    Wednesday-French
    Thursday-Italian
    Friday American
    Saturday-Chinese
    Sunday-Portuguese...

Change it up... the only limitation is you!!!!
  • DallasLeann
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ Healthier versions of recipies; not the typical "diet" food.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    check out skinnytaste.com

awesome recipes for everybody!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree that skinnytaste.com has great recipes. EatingWell.com has tons as well and they break it down by under 500 calories meals, 1200 calorie meal plans, etc.
  • ADoucette416
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started eating healthy. Then I realized that I'm only limiting myself, not the food. The internet is truly your friend. All these websites are great! I also work for a healthy navigation system called Guiding Stars. On our website there are hundreds of recipes (guidingstars.com). It based on a three star system. 1 good, 2 better, 3 best. Veggies, whole grains, fruit, chicken and turkey are my new delicious friends :)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    EatingWell.com has tons as well and they break it down by under 500 calories meals, 1200 calorie meal plans, etc.

just went onto eatingwell.com and scored a $1.00 coupon for Marzetti Otria GreeK Yogurt Dip! Love that stuff!!
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.. my diary is full of her recipes! LOVE HER!