Running Friends!

Options
Running Friends-

Tell me when you started running you had moments of wanting to quit! I always feel so good after but during I have moments of wanting to stop. The feeling after is what keeps me going. The goal is set and I never give up on a goal but I am struggling for some reason the past week:(

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Yep. Been there done that. Running is very much a mental thing. You just gotta find a way to help yourself get over the mental hurdles... music, a mantra.. anything. Have faith in yourself and know that it DOES get easier!!!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just started running in December and definately have weeks like this. What helps me is to keep track of my runs and reflect on the progress I've made. I use an app on my iphone that is helping me prepare for a 5k. What keeps me working hard is knowing that the next run will be harder than this one and the better I do now, the easier that run will be. :-)

Also, try to switch it up. If you're running inside, try running outside. If you are just running do run/walk intervals and try to increase your speed.

And my final word of advice, run first thing in the morning. Don't give your brain a chance to talk you out of it!

Keep up the great work!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I started running at 225lbs in the spring of 2009. There have been many times that I wanted to quit. When I first started out and I would come home crying because I could barely run/ walk the 2 mile block by my house. This past summer when I was sure I had gotten in way over my head signing up to run a half marathon. I went for an 8mile run and had to fight for every step. Don't worry everyone gets discouraged. Breaking through a funk or completing a really crappy run is often more rewarding to me than going for a nice smooth run.. I sign up for races to get me through slumps that gives me a very specific goal to work towards. Good luck :)
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    A time I wanted to quit was when I had a 10 mile race (in Sept 2011) that I didn't take seriously enough. I figured since I had ran an entire half marathon 4 months before that, I would be fine. I was not even 10 minutes into the 10-miler and I had to walk. I had to alternate between running and walking the entire time - it was awful for me. I felt like I had completely lost it and fallen apart and I just wanted to quit. After I finished it took a few weeks to really mentally recover from it - I had been in a funk a few weeks prior, and that had only made it worse.

Luckily I realized that just because I may have run X miles before, doesn't mean I'll be able to run that again unless I keep up my fitness. It was a good lesson learned in the end. Everyone has times where they just want to quit. I honestly wanted to quit during that race, even though I had PROVEN to myself that I had done so much better before - not a great feeling!

I know what you mean about the "feeling" of just struggling through it. I have times where I take a week off for vacation sometimes. Sometimes what you need is to just hit the reset button. Try to take some of the pressure off yourself. That worked for me
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I've been running on and off for years. I go through cycles. Right now I'm getting back to where I was a couple of years ago.

In order to keep focused, I register for races. It doesn't always help ... 'cause I've done plenty of half marathons when I didn't train the way I should. But more often than not, it does help.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I think we all get this from time to time. I greatly prefer out and back runs to several loops. Loops make it too easy to quit early.
    You know that little voice, "Wow, you've done enough for today. Remember you have to do this and that and blahblahblah"
    If I'm 3 miles away from home on a 6 mile run, shortest way back is the only way back :smile:
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I find I have this feeling everytime I run! It is totally a mental block. Like your brain is saying this is hard work STOP! I find it happens most often between miles 2 & 3, after I get past mile 3 it seems to be better. Someone told me once that you have to use the other side of your brain to distract yourself. I have found that this does help. I do math equations like: If I run this mile each milein _ minutes then I will be finished at _ time, or at this pace I will complete this miles in _ minutes. Kind of wierd I know but it takes my mind of the fact that what I am doing is feeling touch!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    yep. the first mile i always want to quit. sometimes i run faster to get it over with, sometimes i just worry about one foot in front of the other. it happens. it's not always pleasant but always beneficial (for me).
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a mental thing. Keep your focus on the bigger goals. I also go through phases where the rest of life is busy and stressful (work, kids, home, family, etc.) and the running suffers. Just work through the tough times, know they will get better, and stay focused on the big picture.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Those are some of my best (most accomplished feeling) runs... the days I just really want to stop but I somehow manage to push through. It happens... that's part of the nature of the sport. Pushing through those (barring moments of certain intense pain when you simply have no other choice) is what enables you to do more... and increase your distance and speed. :)
  • StacyX582
    Options
    I just started running in December and definately have weeks like this. What helps me is to keep track of my runs and reflect on the progress I've made. I use an app on my iphone that is helping me prepare for a 5k. What keeps me working hard is knowing that the next run will be harder than this one and the better I do now, the easier that run will be. :-)

^^ This!

I've gotten through the entire Couch to 5K program with self talk - if I even start to think about stopping, I tell myself (inside my head, I don't talk to myself all the time..) that if I quit, I just have to do it again tomorrow and it'll be harder! It all starts with thinking - if you start thinking about how you feel (bad), you're just going to feel worse - I've started focusing on how my legs DON'T hurt, and how I can breathe regularly, and oh hey! what's on the tv?, etc, just to distract my negative, quitting thoughts! I'm not in "the zone" with running yet, but I feel so good and accomplished when I get done that it motivates me to do it again tomorrow. Plus I'm trying to run at least 1mi on my off days from the training program, just to keep the feet moving and happy.

:)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I started running sometime last spring. I had never been a runner before. Most days I hate the idea of running, but I know I will feel better after I've done it. While I'm running, I hear a little voice say "it's ok to walk for a while" and "you've gone far enough, just go home". However, another voice says "just 2 more songs", "stick to the plan", "you don't need to walk", etc. Fortunately, most times the second voice wins! I'm not sure I'd run if I didn't sign up for races. I just don't love it that much! You're not alone!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    The first 20 minitues of my run is actual torture. Hate it. But I LOVE thew next 40. Always has been like this.

When I started running I used to take the uphill first, thinking I had more steam and could do the downhill at the end, but I would often give up. Now I do the downhill first (lol, I live on a big hill) and run/walk the first 20, then once the endorphins kick in I feel great running back up the hill.

If I am stuck on the treadmill I challenge myself to run the same distance at a slightly faster pace than last time. And if I have to stop to walk I crank up the incline to keep my heart rate up!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have a love-hate on-off relationship with running. Today I love it. Sometimes its hell, but sometimes the running fairy comes and sits on your shoulder for the whole run. I never really enjoy the feeling of running but I love 'being a runner' and, like you, I love the feeling afterwards.
    Lindsay
  • kelpaint
    kelpaint Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yep. Been there done that. Running is very much a mental thing. You just gotta find a way to help yourself get over the mental hurdles... music, a mantra.. anything. Have faith in yourself and know that it DOES get easier!!!

A mantra has gotten me through my last few 3+ mile runs - I hit a huge mental wall at 2 miles lately. My mantra is "You are strong, fit, capable and today quitting isn't an option." Just keep going!
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    the first mile is the worst! Once I get into a groove its great, but I am usually ready to give up in the first 5 minutes lol. Also, I hurt myself pretty bad training for a half marathon last year, and quitting definitely crossed my mind, but in the end, the feeling of pride and accomplishment I got from finishing the race meant more than the pain! GOOD LUCK!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Commit yourself to the first 20 minutes and do an out and back. If after you've run for 20 minutes, you still don't feel like running... walk home instead.

Honestly... its the committing to that first 20 minutes that is usually the hardest.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I started running on August 2, 2010. It's also the same day that I decided to take control of my fitness and health. I also signed up for my first half marathon that same day.

Running is all mental - it's easy to give up at any moment as your knees and ankles are screaming, the sun is beating down on you (or the cold is ripping into your lungs), and your shins are on fire. It takes mental endurance to listen to your body, acknowledge the pain, make it your friend and keep on going.

I keep running for a variety of reasons:
    - it's my time to think and meditate and sometimes while I'm running I forget that I'm running (I know that sounds weird)
    - I love knowing the miles that have passed beneath my feet
    - I remind myself that the runner's high hits me 30-40 minutes in, so just keep going, the best part of the run is still to come!
    - I'm HAPPIER when I run
    - I tell myself it's a gift to myself - feeling good and looking good!
    - I'm out there in the community, seeing people and experiencing the outdoors
    - It lets me eat what I want (within reason)
    - I'm a part of the running community
    - I've inspired other friends to make healthy choices for themselves and to take up running
    - I do it to see if I can, each and everyday

And on days when I just REALLY don't want to, I remind myself that I have NEVER regretted going for a run, but have ALWAYS regretted NOT going.

Keep at it! :)
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! Been there a time or two before. I was in the military so running was part of the regimen. It is nice now to run because I wan to as opposed to because I have to. What gets me through the down times is having a running partner. Find someone else who is interested in running or join a running group. Having someone who expects me to run with them keeps me going through the downside and follows me to the upside. Realize that it's a slump and it will pass. It is completely a mental challenge and you'll feel great for seeing it through.

Others have said signing up for events or keeping your mind engaged while running helps. These also help me. I'm also much better outside.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Running is about 50% mental.
    I've been able to run 7 miles before, and still some days in the first mile, my mind says, you can't go that far, stop now and go home.