Lost 40 and Dr. says no more Metformin!

Options
boston6
boston6 Posts: 158 Member
Just got back from the doctor's office. Last July, I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic. Since then, I've lost 40 lbs and my A1C has gone down from 12 to 5.8!!! Dr. says I "made his day". For those not familiar with A1C blood tests, 5.8 is considered to be in the normal range. (12 is considered totally out of control diabetic) Based on the latest tests, I'm off of the Metformin for the next 3 months and will go back for another blood test in April. So my goal for the next 3 months is to lose an additional 10-12 lbs and to maintain my A1C within the normal range.

Wish me luck!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    That is why I started. Congratulations and Continued success. :heart:
  • mdgtfrmhll
    mdgtfrmhll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Way to go. What an accomplishment. You should be very proud of what you've done. Keep up the great work.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Great success!! Way to go!
  • lisamc03
    lisamc03 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You must be ecstatic!!! Great job!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!! I'm on 2000mg of metformin a day, I'm really hoping that by the time I'm down 40lbs my doc will let me reduce it. A1C was 6.8 last time I went. Very inspiring post, thanks!
  • HikerHigs
    Options
    Congratulations! I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I am trying to lose weight some I don't become a full blown diabetic. What a great job you have done. You are my role model to keep trying even when the going get's tough. Keep us posted after your next blood test.
  • lexidog
    lexidog Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I started for similar reasons - I was having reactive hypoglycemia - and if I didn't straighten up my Dr. said I would be diabetic - as I was wearing my pancreas out. so - my goal from before Christmas is to lose 40 by my birthday - which is April 6th - totally doable - I think!
    Congrats - that is such a huge NSV!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I have lost 293 lbs. and my last 4 trips (4 months apart) to the Endo Dr. my A1c have averaged 5.4 (down from a high of 10.0 at the beginning). I am on 2000 mg of Metformin daily and my Dr. doesn't sound like I am coming off it anytime soon... But again Congrats to you.......
  • brinak2005
    brinak2005 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!! Keep it up!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Excellent success! Keep up the good work on your journey to a healthier you.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    stinkin awesome! you should be giving yourself props!
  • edisonswifey
    edisonswifey Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!! =) What an awesome NSV!!
  • boston6
    boston6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support. It means a lot to me that I'm part of such a supportive group and I wish all of you continued success too!

Ed - 293 lbs lost is freakin' amazing. Did you talk to your doctor about the possibility of dropping the Metformin. Might be worth a try next time you see the Dr. Worst case you go back on it in 3 months.
  • kfd6866
    kfd6866 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is so great!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! YOU are making this happen and taking control of your future! :wink:
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! that is a huge success and I wish you the best on your continuing journey.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Good job. That's one of my goals too!
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the best NSV of all.......your health! Congrats and keep up the good work!~
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is brilliant. Well done x
  • alohacariiann
    alohacariiann Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This brought made me tear. You saved your life. One of the most inspirations threads I have read on this site. God bless!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!