Totally taken back by my HRM

Options
So for my birthday this year I asked for a HRM and got one of those really good kinds with a chest strap and everything. I went to my kickboxing class last night, wearing it for the first time, and was completely taken aback by the low number by the end. I did about 50 minutes of kickboxing and only burned 367 calories!! :sad: Originally I had estimated that I was somewhere between high 400's and high 500's (MFP said I burned around 750 per session! I knew that was wrong so I estimated much lower, which I guess wasn't low enough). It is probably the most dejecting thing that has happened to me since I started tracking in August. I feel like I had gotten a pretty good cardio and muscle (with the punching bags) workout. Well, with this post I was hoping to get two things: 1) a little motivational boost because this is not even close to the number of calories I THOUGHT I had been burning and I'm really, really bummed and 2) any ideas for workouts that burn a lot of calories? I like high impact high intensity workouts, but even my kickboxing class isn't really doing it I guess :grumble:

Replies

• anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You can let it get you down. Look at it this way: at least you know now. Better that, then wondering why your weight loss stalled down the road.

I wish I could give you some excersice advice, but I'm a stick to the elliptical kinda guy. :flowerforyou:
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I felt like this after busting a gut in Bodypump for nearly an hour! then realised if i do more short bursts of interval training instead of a gruelling cless, i burn more! Don't let it get you down.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It is a bummer when you realize that MFP has overestimated by so much............with that said, it's much more powerful to have the correct knowledge. This allows us to be more accurate and successful.

As for exercises, if you are just looking at calories burned, perhaps look at boot camp?

Since I've gotten my HRM the classes that have burned the most calories for me were Bikram Yoga and Zumba.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    well, hopefully you had all the settings done properly, but i would just see that as a challenge. obviously the kickboxing class isn't as hard as you thought it was. find ways to keep your heart rate up during the class, or just start doing other work outs.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    You could try running, that's the best way I know to get your heart rate up and stay up and burn calories. I always burn at bootcamp classes too (where you use body weight and spurts of energy...example: we'll run cones and then drop and do push ups followed by jumping rope, pushing a plate, lunges, squats, etc.)
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I first got my HRM! I find that I can burn more doing jog/walk intervals than anything else. I also do intervals on the elliptical machine. I'll jog for 2 mins then walk for 2 mins until I've jogged a total of 10 mins. I do 5 mins warm up and 5 mins cool down so a half hour usually gets me around 300 calories. Then I just walk for the extra half hour going up 1% incline every 5 mins. I can usually get between 500-600 calories burned in an hour and it doesn't seem as grueling as some of the classes :)
  • Jewcybabe
    Jewcybabe Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Give Zumba a try.......excellent cardio workout, burns lots of calories, and it hardly feels like you're "working out" because it's so much fun!~
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I tried my out, but as others have mentioned it's definitely good to know what you really are burning and not what MFP is estimating.

One of my friends burned about 700 according to her HRM and me only 345 during a Zumba Class....The difference is: She is taller and weighs more than me. Your fitness level also comes into play. The out of shape bodies have to work harder...maybe you're in better shape than you think :smile:

Here's some info on Heart Rates and all the scientific stuff.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1044
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    Some days I can get the heart going really well, other days, it is a workout to do that. My first concern would be to check your settings, that will make a big difference. Also remember that MFP is based more on averages I reckon, so some days I can burn 300+ in zumba and others I am lucky to get to 150. That is what makes the HRM such a wonderful tool! Good luck with it!!!
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    MFP is notorious for overestimating calories. Personally, I'd rather have use my HRM because it helps me keep track of my caloric burn + it gives makes me want to push harder on my workouts. I just keep thinking, "ok I burned 435 calories on this workout, next time I want to exceed it"

Stay positive! :wink:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I do Krav Maga with my HRM on and burn over 1000 cals in an hour and a half. Maybe the kick boxing just isn't inte4nse enough? You can keep an eye on it and if your heart rate isn't in the target zone, kick it up a notch until it is =)
  • tiamaria8182
    tiamaria8182 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I take a kettlebells class and according to my HRM some days I burn 300 some calories but then last night I burned 558 so sometimes it just depends on what you're doing in class that day.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan, but Spin classes are supposed to burn the most calories
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Spin classes burn a butt load of calories (if you're increasing the resistance appropriately). I'm a cyclist, yet I still burn 700-1000 calories in a 60 minute spin class.
    Running also gives me a good burn.