water, water everywhere

Dear Water Lovers and Water Haters Alike:

Instead of just giving you the link I decided to copy and paste the whole thing. It's a long read but one I found interesting. I have been ignoring the boards lately cause some people are downright nasty, but I KNOW there are tons of people out there who fall into the following categories: hate water; refuse to believe it matters all that much; trying find ways to incorporate water into your days; are trolls.

I love my water. Yeah, it gets boring but it's necessary, I believe, for your health. So enjoy the read and go refill your water bottle damnit!

Mild Dehydration's Big Impact on You

If you think a few glasses of water aren’t important, check your mood. As you rev up physical activity and change your diet, you may be getting less water than you need. Dehydration occurs when your body loses more water than it takes in. Mild to moderate dehydration is a common occurrence and its effects are generally attributed to hunger and stress. If you find you can’t pinpoint why you are a little touchy, new research suggests mild dehydration could be the culprit. The research, published in the Journal of Nutrition, sheds light on the importance of staying optimally hydrated.

The Windmills of Your Mind

A small group of 25 young women were subjected to exercise-induced dehydration. Some were also given a diuretic. Over three days, the group’s cognitive performance, mood, and symptoms of dehydration were measured during rest and during exercise. At just a little over 1% dehydration level, subjects showed significant adverse effects. Not only did mood change for the worse, but concentration, headache symptoms, and task difficulty were also affected. The researchers point to the importance of hydration during and after moderate exercise to stay at optimal levels throughout the day.

Water Needs Exercise Needs Water

While many take a bottle of water with them to the gym, you may want to stay hydrated before you step foot on that elliptical. A separate study found mild dehydration can effect physical performance as well. Golfers’ motor performance was tested at between 1-3% dehydration levels. All aspects of their game, including shot distance, target accuracy, and distance judgment, were worse than their results when they were fully hydrated. Gradually drink two cups of water during exercise and be sure to hydrate before and after your workout according to thirst.

A Water Strategy

While most people try adhering to the 8-cups-of-water-a-day rule, that may not be enough. In addition to sweating, heated indoor air, exposure to extreme cold or hot weather, and high altitudes can increase fluid loss and thus require more water intake. The Institutes of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. But adequate is not ideal. A good water strategy starts with 2 cups of water upon waking. You should also have at least one cup of water at each meal, and at least one cup of water between meals or with a snack. End your day with 2 cups of water at bedtime.

Water from Food

According to the Mayo Clinic, on average 20% of overall fluid intake comes from food. A study by Penn State compared water in food to drinking water and found water from food is more satisfying hunger-wise. To increase hydration, rev up fruits and vegetables in meals. By adding foods like broccoli, zucchini, watermelon, lettuce, tomatoes, and other high water dense foods to existing dishes like salads, chili, and rice, you can increase your water intake without a cup or bottle.

(PS: Here's the link for anyone who cares to have it: http://caloriecount.about.com/can-water-improve-mood-b551388?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_20120124&utm_term=continue1)

Replies

• SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Interesting, food for thought - or should I sat water for thought. Need to digest it a bit to undersand it all.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member

If you find you can’t pinpoint why you are a little touchy, new research suggests mild dehydration could be the culprit. The research, published in the Journal of Nutrition, sheds light on the importance of staying optimally hydrated.

This is me!! I have been so moody since starting the diet but not hungry. Good post
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 616 Member

If you find you can’t pinpoint why you are a little touchy, new research suggests mild dehydration could be the culprit. The research, published in the Journal of Nutrition, sheds light on the importance of staying optimally hydrated.

This is me!! I have been so moody since starting the diet but not hungry. Good post

:D
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Bump
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Great post. Thank you :drinker:
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    bump
  • tinkerbek
    tinkerbek Posts: 51 Member
    True DAT!! interesting to know mild dehydration can effect your mood. I'll have to try and remember that next time i'm grouchy for no good reason!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Awesome info girl!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    "and all the boards did shrink. Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink."
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Very nice. I don't care what anyone tries to tell me, I see a difference in my mood, my body and the movement of the scale when I am faithful about my water intake.

And Hi.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    If I drank two cups of water right before bed, I would spend the whole night running to the bathroom, lol.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Water does my body so good. Slims it down, makes my skin much better to look at, but I hate it. I HATE it I say! Why can't I just guzzle it? I don't really drink anything most days. Not soda, not tea. I only drink when I'm thirtsy and I know by then it's too late. I'm dehydrated and there is now way I want to try and catch up. Every day is a struggle. Water, ugh........
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,304 Member
    So very true. I get crabby when I don't drink enough water. :flowerforyou:
  • Having just been told by kids not to do the Zumba DVD anymore as I am horrid afterwards, I have just drank 3 glasses whilst reading this and feel much better already......
  • april_beth
    If I drank two cups of water right before bed, I would spend the whole night running to the bathroom, lol.

LOL no kidding...thats what i said to myself...
  • april_beth
    Having just been told by kids not to do the Zumba DVD anymore as I am horrid afterwards, I have just drank 3 glasses whilst reading this and feel much better already......

damn those brats :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Water is vital, yes.

Neat water, however, is not.