anyone use a chiropractor?

Options
i have had annoying back issues ever since i temped in a corporate office for five months and had to sit at a desk all day. i bought a living social coupon for a spinal examination and alignment (scary) and a massage (nice). i have never done anything remotely chiropractor-ish, and i'm a little bit nervous.

has anyone seen paranormal activity 3? you know the scene where the invisible bogie kills the boyfriend at the end? that's all i can picture. maybe this qualifies as more than a little bit nervous...

anyhoo, if you have been to one and can tell me anything about what to expect, i would *love* your input! thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    I've been for a consultation which was really informative, but I couldn't afford regular visits at the time. I still might do it in the future. My dad went to one for years and swore by it for the longest time, and my roommate is seeing one right now. I watched her get adjusted at my consultation, and yeah, it's a bit of an odd thing to see, but she really likes it and it's done wonders for her posture.

Oh, and mine included getting weighed and measured, going for an x-ray, and a mini-lecture on the benefits of spine health, but I don't know if that's "industry standard" or just what my guy does.

thanks for that info! this will be a one time thing for me, unless i love it and then land a job, that is. thanks again!
  • fluffyduckquack
    fluffyduckquack Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have suffered back issues for many years and tried many different methods over the years. I have traveled that road with chiro's and I have to say they did more damage then what they say can do. My suggestion is too try to see orthopedic doctor who specializes in backs so that you have a complete assesment as to what is really going on with your back. If you have insurance this a good way to find out, if not then it is a pricey price to pay. If the doctor can tell that it is a minor thing and can tell you simple ways of relieving the pain. Physical therapy, hot baths, simple yoga moves, full body massage, swimming can really resolve many of your issues. If it hurts, stop what you are doing and rest it.

If you decide on a chiro then by all means make sure he/she comes highly qualified and give it try. It might help. If it hurts, then stop immediately. Just be careful out there because there are a lot of bad ones out there. Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon. Antoinette
  • ashmaster1488
    ashmaster1488 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I go to the chiro. allllllll the time. I sit in an office all day and was in an accident a year ago. So I have a very messed up back/body.
    I swear to god, chiropractor's are AMAZING!

My very first appointment I was really nervous about getting my back cracked. But I was in so much pain that I was desperate. The chiro. was my last option.

I asked my chiro. "Are you going to crack my back? Because I am not sure I want to have my back cracked..."
    She said, "Yes I am going to crack your back."

She cracked me and more then 50% of my pain left instantly! And it was not scary at all...infact...I kind of like it!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I would save avoid the chiropractor. They just treat a symptom. I have NEVER liked them. I don't trust them, and I have TONS of back issues.
    I don't see how having to come back over and over again is any good, which is what you have to do with the Chiro. Consult a doctor or Physical Therapist. They are there to treat. (I also work with Personal INjury cases all day long so I see the bills for Chiro and how AFTER they stopped going to the Chiro the patient got better with PT).

Now this is just my opinion. If you feel they will help then go for it.

I treat my back issues with yoga and stretching. (and the drugs when it gets irritated only by consult with the dr.)

Good luck.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I go once or twice a week. Neck and lower back pains. I am lucky that our insurance covers it. I would marry my chiropractor if I wasn't married and he wasn't. Lol he's a miracle worker!
  • awoodwaring
    awoodwaring Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    2 I loved, 1 I hated

My 1 chiro helped me regain mobility in my arm after a car accident. Loved him.

Try to see if there are any reviews on your chiro. You don't want a bad first experience.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I used to be married to a Chiropractor. While I know how effective Chiropractic Care can be, I also know there are Chiropractors outh ther that want to overbook you for the pupose of making money.

Just like any other Medical Professional, whatever problem you have can be cured or alleviated by their particular specialty.

Got Hemorrhoids?

Chiropractor can probably realign your spine to lessen the affects.
    Accupuncturist knows right where to stick the needle.
    Accupresure? Let me stick my thumb up there.
    Surgeon can just cut it out.
    GP can prescribe the right medication to alleviate the pain and shrink your little pain in the *ss.
    Dietician? You're not eating right !!
    Heck, I'll bet your dentist will tell you your grinding your teeth and the stress from that is causing your discomfort. Get a mouth Guard.
    Acai berries or Aloe Vera?

Anyways, I have two points here:
    1. One single modalitie is not a cure-all and don't trust anyone who tells you so.
    2. Go see a Proctologist if you have Hemorrhoids.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    There are good and bad ones, and some who are good practitioners but then have this whole side where they're selling supplements and stuff trying to get you to believe they can fix anything and cure cancer. I've been to both kinds.

That said, I have a great chiro that I go to when I need to. Her whole thing is getting you healthy enough and out of pain to where you only need to see her when there's a problem, and she gives you "homework" to do (stretching and strengthening exercises to help build your core so you don't have problems in the future). She started out in Sports therapy, then became a chiropractor after wards, so when I go to her, it's a total body adjustment - she starts with my feet and toes, moves up to my knees, does my hips, back, neck, shoulders and wrists. As an athlete, I've gone to her when I've subluxed my shoulder or hips playing softball, twisted ankles and knees, and she's great about adjusting things and getting me going again.

My husband had some issues in his wrist and the doctor told him he had something wrong (I don't remember what - could have been gout, but I dont recall), and gave him a shot of cortisone. That wore off in about 6 months, obviously nothing was done about the ISSUE. He mentioned it to our chiro who felt his wrist, a bone was out of place, she put it back and he's been fine ever since (3 years ago). He also has Morton's Neuroma (again, the doctor said it was gout), and the chiro massages it and breaks up the scar tissue so he can walk - it's the most intense pain he's ever felt when it flares up.

I don't think they can cure cancer and increase your chi or whatever some of them claim to be able to do, but the one we go to is great and has helped us out a lot for our WHOLE body.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Anyways, I have two points here:
    1. One single modalitie is not a cure-all and don't trust anyone who tells you so.
    2. Go see a Proctologist if you have Hemorrhoids.

First, comedy!!! Second, excellent example. And with point 1, very true. The chiro we go to works with your doctor; and my doctor believes in chiropractic so he's willing to work with them, too.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I started going to a chiropractor about 2 years ago because I have scoliosis, and was having issues w/my back after running. A good chiropractor (and everyone here is RIGHT, there ARE baaaad ones, just like in any profession) will evaluate you thoroughly before he touches you or starts any kind of therapy.

For a first visit, mine took x-rays, did range-of-motion measurements on everything from my neck to my arms and shoulders, and then started me with heat and electrodes on the tightest / sorest areas first. Once the pain I had from the running was worked out (going a few times a week for about 3 weeks), THEN he started just doing maintenance on me once a month. My chiro is very good at checking in with me at every adjustment about what I'm doing (workouts, lifestyle) and how everything feels. He also does the range of motion measurements periodically -- and I will say, my range of motion in all areas has improved dramatically.

As some of the other posters have said, there are many therapies that work -- I do a lot more stretching now, yoga always worked for me, too. I also visited a physical therapist after a foot injury last year, and he had more insight and advice after his exam than any podiatrist or ortho I had every visited.

And if the therapy doesn't fit your injury, it can also harm. My mom had a different back injury years ago, and going to the chiro first did her more harm than good.

So you should definitely be evaluated by someone you trust to find what's right for you. Do what makes you comfortable.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My roommate is a chiropractor. After years and years of playing the skeptic, I caved and let her work on my back. It hurt like hell. I was sore for a couple days afterward. But my hip and lower back are better (not fixed, but better) and I'm glad I gave her a chance.

Fortunately, my roomie isn't one of those crazy chiropractors that thinks they can fix everything including a head cold by re-aligning your back. She's got a very common sense approach to life and strongly encouraged me to continue lifting weights and doing exercises for my hips. She pointed out that my back will become misaligned again unless I strengthen the muscles needed to keep it in place.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I will first let you know that I am a physical therapist so I'm most likely biased.

I do think that there are good chiropractors that do their job extremely well. And there are those who do not. Just like any profession. It seems that a lot of times you hear stories, just like one above, that they go to the chiropractor ALL the time. Therein lies the issue. Something that is painful should have to be treated all the time. There should be ways to treat that pain that relieve it and prevent it from coming back in the future. Patients that I've talked to that go to chiropractors never get to that point where their pain completely goes away. That's because there is no change in the quality of movement around the spine. The manipulations provide instant relief of pain, but these are not going to keep the pain away. Also, manipulation is not exactly great for the spine because it will lead to loose ligaments which could potentially make pain worse.

So I would first see your physician to determine their preference. If they prefer a chiropractor, then see the chiropractor. If they prefer PT, then go to PT. My bias is that PT is more effective both in pain-relief and cost. That is for you to find out. Hope this helped.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I did see "Paranormal Activity 3" and know the scene you're referring to. LOL!

I have been seeing a chiropractor for over 20 years, and I swear by him! I know people who would not even consider letting a chiro work on them. And I understand that. It's just not for some people.
    I get regular adjustments, and I also see him for other issues.

A few years ago, I was rollerblading with my dog (on a leash). An unleashed dog came charging at my dog and me. In my dog's attempt to protect me (and herself), her leash became wrapped around my ankles, and my skates were swooped right out from under me. I landed flat on my back, but whipped my (helmeted) head upwards, which is a natural reaction, to avoid hitting it on the pavement. It took a couple of days before I started feeling the pain. Went to my physician and his first plan of action was to prescribe painkillers. I politely declined the prescription and went to my chiropractor. Within 3 visits, he had me back to good.

I do think that finding the right chiro is key. And a chiropractor is not limited to just "cracking bones," nor to just working on the back. My chiro has also done accupressure and accupunture and some kind of electrical stuff on me over the years.

I've been to 2 other chiropractors. One of them just started right in without asking any questions, then said I was good to go. The other one worked on only the area I was having issue with. The chiro I've been with for 20+ years knows my body better than I do. He gives me the complete works, with special attention to my area of complaint. If you find a good one, he/she can not only treat you for certain issues, but can/will/should also explain to you how that area relates to other areas of your body.

Good luck, and hope it works for you.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    anyhoo, if you have been to one and can tell me anything about what to expect, i would *love* your input! thanks! :flowerforyou:

I was completely freaked out by the idea of having anything cracked or popped when I went! I told the chiro how nervous I was and that my husband had to about drug me to get me to come there. He put me completely at ease. Their motions are very swift and the adjustment takes literally seconds. It was over before I even knew what was going on, so I didn't tense up. The first time I had my spine adjusted, it did hurt a little bit right afterwards (about on par with the muscle soreness you feel after lifting weights) but you feel so much looser and better. I'd say go for it.