upsetting!

Options
I just stepped on the scale and I seem to have gained weight instead of losing it ive been exercising and even staying under my calorie goal everyday! Im so upset I dont know what to do its so discouraging and I just want to give up!

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it. Breath and relax. It could be muscle weight you're gaining. How far apart are you weighing yourself?
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    NEVER give up! It is normal to gain weight when you are exercising a lot and bldg muscle. Remember muscle weighs more than fat does! Watch your measurements not the scale! Also, don't sell yourself too short on calories. Make sure you are getting enough so that your body doesn't go into starvation mode. Keep doing what you are doing... there will come a day when the lbs will fall off. Most important.... stay focussed and postitive! You can reach your goal!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOONE of that giving up :) - weight fluctuates like there is no tomorrow - last Wednesday the scale read 142 on Saturday it said 144 today back to 142...

Look at your diet, what is it that you are eating when you see the increase - is there a lot of sodium, carbs, are you drinking the same amount of water every day?
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your waist and hip measurements etc. Its possible that you have gained muscle weight but lost inches. Never give up it will work out if you keep at it. Trust me I know.
  • AgataZasada
    Options
    that has happened to me. I gained 5 lbs but my measurements went down by an inch everywhere so if your doing new exersices, your body may just be adjusting, holding water, repairing. I started to run a couple months ago and my weight was going up and down by 4-6lbs and I was frustrated, but now that I have a base, its coming down much quicker (and staying down).

I have given up many times before, and when I look back, if I just kept going in the right direction, I would have already been acheiving my goals years ago. Good luck!
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself. I wasn't losing any weight but I was losing inches!!! I am stuck right now too!!! Always remember your water weight too. Keep your head up and don't give up it will happen for you.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters. Don't give up! You might want to add sodium as one of the details on your food journal. you might be suprised at the amount you are taking in with out realizing it. High sodium intake can make you retain water and may be the cause of your problem.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories?

I didn't lose much of anything at 1200 calories, but have lost consistently since I lowered my weekly goal to 0.5 lbs per week. Apparently, my body needed the extra calories to give up the fat, and most weeks I've lost more than a half pound. I also try to make sure that my exercise breaks a sweat and eat back all but 100-200 of my exercise calories.

If the scales continue to be stubborn, you might consider adding some more calories to your diet!

Good luck!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've stopped weighing myself. It was making me nuts. It's not necessarily a good judge of body "recomposition" anyway. If you're working out and eating right, your body is changing in ways that may or may not reflect on the scale. Make sure you have a good and accurate scale, try getting on it only once a week if you have to, and use a tape measure to mark changes. You'll get there!
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up! Try these things first: eat all the calories given to you (plus your exercise ones or at least some of them), drink 8 glasses of water, weight yourself just once a week - around the same time of the day, take your measurements and log them as well. I think you will see results, but it might be slow and steady. Best of luck.
  • mijataal
    mijataal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last week, but this week I lost again. It just kinda goes up and down sometimes. Just don't get discouraged and give up!!!! You can do this! I'm pretty new to this and have carried around a LOT of extra weight for a long time and if I can lose weight, YOU CAN TOO!!!!
  • mariangel74
    Options
    Don't give up... stick with it ...I too had the same problem and what I wound up doing is not weighing myself every week .I started taking my measurements and only weighing in once a month. My weight fluctuates due to bloating and also from the muscle I've been gaining so don't get discouraged. Stick with it and don't give up!!!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    dont give up!!!