Protein Powder

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
I would like to buy some but I have no idea what I'm buying or the best kind. Can you wonderful MFP's help me out??

Thank you

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different brands. It just depends on what you are looking for.

For quality, you can't beat Optimum Nutritions 100% Gold Standard whey.

For price, you could go with Body Fortress from Walmart. Still a good protein.

For decadent taste, you could go with Syntha 6 Dessert Protein or Syntrax Nectar. The Vanilla Bean Torte and Cappuccino Latte are phenomenal in the Syntrax.

Everyone has their personal opinions but I think the Muscle Milk is a waste of money.

If I could also offer another suggestion, stay clear of purchasing from GNC, Vitamin Shoppe (retail), etc. You will save yourself a boatload of money buying online. The same 5 lb tub of Optimum Nutritions protein that you buy at GNC that goes for $64.99 can be bought, online, at DPS Nutrition for $39.99.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Get banana flavored; those taste great with everything!

Any brand will do really. Just make sure the sugars are low .. average grams of protein per scoop should be about 20g.
  • KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    I use Herbal life they have all kinds of yummy flavors
  • Boxer_Mommy
    Boxer_Mommy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I order mine from unjury.com. A friend turned me onto them a few years ago and I love it. I used to use herbalife but couldn't stand the gritty and after taste it left in my mouth. Unjury's chocolate protein powder is the best, it taste just like chocolate milk. You can also purchase the unflavored protein powder and use them in your meals, if you don't want to do a shake.

Here's the nutritional info on the chocolate protein powder for one scoop:

Calories: 100
    Fat: 0
    Cholesterol: 0
    Sodium: 35 mg
    Potassium: 135 mg
    Carbs: 4 g
    Sugar: 2 g
    Protein: 20 g

One container has 17 scoops and costs $18.95 for the first container, $17.95 for each additional. There's also other flavors too. If you don't want to buy a full container, they do sell individual packets so that way you can try the flavors first before investing in a full container.

To me, not only is the cost significant but the nutritional info and taste can't be beat.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
  • brainey100
    brainey100 Posts: 27
    Options
    BSN Syntha 6 is the best I've found as far as having quality ingredients and great flavor. Stay away from the cheap whey proteins. Get somehing that has a variety of protein (Whey, Soy, and Egg). It will stay in your body longer and provide more benefit. Also, buy a nice shaker cup with a blender ball in it. It will mix the powder a lot better than stirring. You can get them at any GNC; I've even seen them at Wal Mart.
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch and I would say Optimum Nutritions 100% Gold Standard Whey the double chocolate is the best.

You can have a scoop after the gym in a shaker cup with water, or mix it up in a blender with ice cubes, banana, peanut butter etc.
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    i am just posting so i can come back later and look because i am thinking about some protein powder too...
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    whey is definitely a high quality, seriously bio-available protein. One thing to look out for on ingredient lists are sugars, both natural and synthetic. Many protein powders are sweetened with sucralose or other artificial sweeteners and imho you don't want that crap in your body. Kaizen is a brand with a great, clean ingredient list, wonderful mixability, delicious flavours and it's sweetened with (Naturopath-approved) stevia: a dried herb with no medicinal properties, no calories, a glycemic index of 0. I do agree with shopping online - it can account for huge savings. Just make sure to check on shipping first. :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    whey is definitely a high quality, seriously bio-available protein. One thing to look out for on ingredient lists are sugars, both natural and synthetic. Many protein powders are sweetened with sucralose or other artificial sweeteners and imho you don't want that crap in your body. Kaizen is a brand with a great, clean ingredient list, wonderful mixability, delicious flavours and it's sweetened with (Naturopath-approved) stevia: a dried herb with no medicinal properties, no calories, a glycemic index of 0. I do agree with shopping online - it can account for huge savings. Just make sure to check on shipping first. :flowerforyou:

I second this, whey protein is a very good source of bio-available protein. Side note, bio-available means the body will actually use it. it's important to know this, as many of the vitamin pills, supplements, and powders contain soy and other types of protein, which don't absorb fully and convert, so even though many things say they give you "100 % of your daily vitamin needs" that doesn't mean your body is actually using all of it.
  • nee417
    nee417 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb Vanilla. I add 2-3 frozen strawberries one day, 1/2 banana/couple ice cubes next day. 2 scoops is 50g of protein. It blends really smooth...not gritty. I usually order mine online.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I like EAS protein powder, in vanilla. My husband adds it to his coffee and I add it to my smoothies. YOu can buy it at costco (best deal when they have it), hi health and target, if those aren't an option you can look up retailers on their website.
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    What do you guys & gals think of 100% Soy Protein Booster powder? I just bought the Naturade brand. I haven't tried it yet. Plan on trying to make a smoothie later...Any good recipes, too?
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Kaizen is a brand with a great, clean ingredient list, wonderful mixability, delicious flavours and it's sweetened with (Naturopath-approved) stevia: a dried herb with no medicinal properties, no calories, a glycemic index of 0. :flowerforyou:

...I just checked out Kaizen's website to check out their nutrition info:

http://www.kaizenprotein.com/nutrition.html

It shows that they use sucralose (Splenda) in their protein powder in addition to stevia. Bummer!!!! :grumble:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    bumpibump to refer back to
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of Soy products, too controversial, too many potential downsides. I would go with Whey, it's more proven, and it's more bio-available anyway so there's no need to go another way.

The possible side effects of the phytoestrogens in soy is just plain scary. Plus much of the protein in soy is locked up in other things and unavailable to the human body.
  • McLachfan
    McLachfan Posts: 50
    Options
    Just last night I went shopping for a good protein powder. I've been told by many to stick with whey, which works great for me because I'm allergic to soy anyway. :tongue: I compared a lot of different brands and ended up with EAS. The caloric, sodium, and carb (sugar) content are all low... and this shake packs a big protein punch at 23g per serving! I tasted it this morning for the first time and I thought it was delicious!

EAS 100% Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla

Nutritional Information
    Serving Size: 1 Scoop (30g)
    Amount Per Serving% Daily Value**Calories: 120Calories from Fat: 20Total Fat: 2g3% Saturated Fat: 1g4% Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 70mg24%Sodium: 50mg2%Potassium:170mg5%Total Carbohydrate: 2g1% Dietary Fiber: 0g0% Sugars: 1g Protein: 23g46%Vitamins% Daily Value** Calcium15%Iron<2% *Percent Daily Values (%DV) are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Just last night I went shopping for a good protein powder. I've been told by many to stick with whey, which works great for me because I'm allergic to soy anyway. :tongue: I compared a lot of different brands and ended up with EAS. The caloric, sodium, and carb (sugar) content are all low... and this shake packs a big protein punch at 23g per serving! I tasted it this morning for the first time and I thought it was delicious!

EAS 100% Whey Protein Powder - Vanilla

Nutritional Information
    Serving Size: 1 Scoop (30g)
    Amount Per Serving% Daily Value**Calories: 120Calories from Fat: 20Total Fat: 2g3% Saturated Fat: 1g4% Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 70mg24%Sodium: 50mg2%Potassium:170mg5%Total Carbohydrate: 2g1% Dietary Fiber: 0g0% Sugars: 1g Protein: 23g46%Vitamins% Daily Value** Calcium15%Iron<2% *Percent Daily Values (%DV) are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.

Where did you get it???
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Banana is sweeter than vanilla, and equally low in sugar. I'm not a big banana lover but the protein powder brings out the flavor of any fruit you blend it with.
  • McLachfan
    McLachfan Posts: 50
    Options
    j_g4ever... I just got it at Target, of all places! :o) It was about $20 for a huge container of it.
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Banana is sweeter than vanilla, and equally low in sugar. I'm not a big banana lover but the protein powder brings out the flavor of any fruit you blend it with.

I didn't know there was such flavor! What kind do you use?