Weight loss has plateued, any advice?

Options
Hi,

I have been working really hard to stick to mfp and up to last week I was doing really well and lost 6lb since the 7th of January which I was so pleased about, but since last week I do not seem to be losing anything and staying the same. On average I tend to have maybe 250 calories left per day but this is no different from what I have been doing. I have started running today as I have a 10k run to do in June and managed to a 12minute mile which doesnt seem amazing but I have not exercised properly for about 2 years so I didnt think it was too bad. Is there anything else I can do to get back on track,obviously I know the exercise will help but I am just curious as to why the weight loss stopped. I really wanted to lose another 7lb by March before I turn 30!

Replies

• doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating a day?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating a day?

This.
  • finallygettingskinny2013
    Options
    When your weight loss plateaus, what's going on is that it's the time that your body is changing and adjusting to your recent fat loss. My healthy eating coach was once at a plateau for over a year! But she dropped 3 pants sizes that year, and when her plateau stopped she lost 20+ lbs within the first week! So just keep on exercising, because now is the time that your body is changing to replicate the weight you've lost. I've been in a plateau for a couple months now, and I just realized that I lost two dress sizes :) So keep your head up and keep on eating normally and exercising frequently, because when the plateau ends you'll lose a lot of weight in the first week.

Hope this helped a little.
  • TXCountryChick
    TXCountryChick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm so frustrated. I lost 18lbs then BAM! Nothing for a week...I'm exercising 1 hour a day, eating 1200 calories. I have no clue what else to do...It happens at this same weight every time I try to loose weight. I'm on a mission to not stop just because I've reached this point.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not consistent. A plateau is not when you don't lose weight for one week. That's called normal. If your weight loss stalls for 4 weeks plus, now we are talking plateau.
  • TXCountryChick
    Options
    Okay...well it happens when I hit this weight every time I try to loose weight and its usually where I give up. My Dr. said its my plateu point and I need to work to get past it. I'm on a misson now to figure out why I keep hitting this "plateu...lol! I just dont know what the issue is.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I'm so frustrated. I lost 18lbs then BAM! Nothing for a week...I'm exercising 1 hour a day, eating 1200 calories. I have no clue what else to do...

1 hour day burns what? 500+ calories?

You shouldn't really have a Net intake under 1200 because that is the (average) level where you start to lack the energy resources to burn fat - muscle is easier to burn for energy, so if you're not giving your body enough fuel it will eat those for energy instead. Try to eat back 50% of your exercise calories to start with and see if that gets you over this hump.
  • TXCountryChick
    Options
    I just read this on a website and it sounds great. I cant reduce my calorie intake because I'm at 1,200 calories but the rest I'm definitly going to give it a shot.

Reassess your habits. Look back at your food and activity records. Make sure you haven't loosened the rules, letting yourself get by with larger portions or less exercise.

Cut more calories. Reduce your daily calorie intake by 200 calories — provided this doesn't put you below 1,200 calories. Fewer than 1,200 calories a day may not be enough to keep you from feeling hungry all of the time, which increases your risk of overeating.

Rev up your workout. Increase the amount of time you exercise by an additional 15 to 30 minutes. You might also try increasing the intensity of your exercise, if you feel that's possible. Additional exercise will cause you to burn more calories.

Pack more activity into your day. Think outside the gym. Increase your general physical activity throughout the day by walking more and using your car less, or try doing more yardwork or vigorous spring cleaning.

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... I've been stuck at the same weight for a month now! I've increased workout frequency and reduced calories to 1100 - 1200. NOTHING! :sad: I hope you get some useful advice that the rest of us can also benefit from.:glasses:
  • scooterhaz
    scooterhaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted vest called The Xvest when i walk/jog. I add weights , in 1 pound increments, as i am losing weight to trick my body into thinking i am heavier. I currently use 33 pounds when walking/jogging. Suppossed to burn about 50% more calories, i adjust my excercise entries by adding 20% more calories burned. I get that from my fee android app Runtastic.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not consistent. A plateau is not when you don't lose weight for one week. That's called normal. If your weight loss stalls for 4 weeks plus, now we are talking plateau.

This!
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Please read my earlier post CarrieBeard :) I see a lot of people making this mistake and from working in Sports and Leisure for 4 years, I spent a lot of time around Lifeguards, Fitness Instructors, Personal Trainers, Bodybuilders and Athletes. They ALL eat like horses because they do so much exercise, even when they're cutting fat.
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks CVersey. I also found this older post that further explains what you were discussing..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387166-questions-about-weight-loss-plateau-s-why-do-they-happen-w
  • vickyj29
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice, Im meant to be having 1200 calories and some days have only managed about 900 so I think that it may be due to too few calories. It has not been intentional to eat so few calories, it is just when I have been looking back at my food diary I have realised this, most days I eat quite healthy since starting mfp so dont make up all the calories. I think I will have to try and find the extra calories from somewhere, especially as I will be getting extra calories to use from the running Im starting to do.