ZUMBA Instructors?

Options
I just got certified to be a ZUMBA instructor....and getting ready for another certification as ZUMBA gold....what are some of the OLDER more EXPERIENCED ZUMBA instructors advice to us NEWBIES......

Replies

• HoneyDancer
    Options
    Congratulations! I want to be a certified Zumba instructor too. Hope there are others on MFP! Good luck!
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First word of advice - ZUMBA instructors cringe when you call it certified. In your trainings, ZES will tell you we're licensed since we didn't have to take a test to be able to teach. (Some are a lot meaner than others LOL - just giving you a heads up). I've been licensed over a year and a half, and am still learning new things every day. :glasses:

Always have fun with it. Advertise any way you can (create a FB page, website, separate email)...where are you planning on working?

Always visit other instructors to see what they're up to - you can only improve by doing this. It'll also help you network!

Always keep your choreo simple. You want your students to succeed and build confidence, especially if some of them are not dancers, or do not have a dance background (like myself). Make sure your cues are big so your students can follow you.

And last but not least, SMILE :bigsmile: If you're not having fun, how can you expect them to?

Best of luck and congrats on becoming part of the ZUMBA family!
  • zumbamum229
    Options
    Welcome!

PP is right - make sure you say "licensed," not "certified." Some instructors get really upset with it.

ENJOY this! Trust me, if you don't like a song or choreo, students won't, either. Follow the formula of fitness/dance and it will be fine!

Make sure you think about modifications for moves. I've been in classes where the instructor jumps and you are expected to scream "How high?!" In the real world, not everyone in a Zumba class likes to jump. And just because someone doesn't like to jump, doesn't mean they need to take ZumbaGold.

Find the Facebook groups, but more importantly, meet local ZINs in your area. If there is a fundraiser, go to it, as well as Jams. And take other instructors classes. It's fun and you'll learn so much! That's the one thing I regret about being so busy - I don't have time for other people's classes!

If you go on vacation, check the Zumba website for classes in that area. I'm in Myrtle Beach, and we always have visiting instructors - we love it!

Work hard in prep, but let the music lead in class. Message me anytime!
  • diva500
    diva500 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ThANKS for the heads up on certification verses license....I actually didnt like saying certified.....appreciate all the great advise...WOoooHOooo I will hopefully be teaching at a local RV park.....my friend is the owner, so I asked if I could do ZUMBA at the community room, and she was so excited about it.....how much do instructors get paid....I know it depends on the location but the average is about how much....
  • hels4397
    Options
    Thats AWESOME!! :)

Well you can go a few ways. I have my own class that I teach 4 days a week as independent contracts ("indie") - I co-teach with someone else, so my share is around $100-$150 a week (going solo would double that). I also work through a health club & make $25/hr, and through Adult ed where I make $25/class. It's my play $$ and will help me get to convention this year :)

If you're renting the space, you can charge whatever you see fit - look at area classes to see what they're charging - be competitive but don't undercut yourself. We charge $7 to drop in, $50 for a 10 class punch card (which you can get through Vistaprint through the ZIN page on zumba.com). We also run a promotion on Tuesdays, where if one of our students brings a friend, they get in for $2 each. Newbies are also $2.
  • LadyJ1015
    Options
    This is all good for me to see as I will be getting my license when we get back to the states in a few months so that I can start teaching. I have an obsession with pretty much anything Zumba :) I have a few instructors over here (stationed in Germany) that I have become close friends with, one even lets me lead a dance in our regular class (good practice for me).
  • hels4397
    Options
    Its catchy let me tell you - I eat, breathe & sleep ZUMBA. Always working on choreographing new songs, Youtube videos, and even the Zumbawear (spent like $200 in the last week on the new line). It's my passion, even though I have zero dance background. You'll find that most instructors are friendly & are good peeps. You will occasionally have those, however, that are not so nice. Don't let them taint your vision/idea of ZUMBA. What area are you moving back to in the states? Feel free to email any time if you have any questions or need tips :)
  • tiphany37
    tiphany37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay ZUMBA ladies.

Is it bad that for some reason I am really intimidated to even try out the Zumba classes at my gym? We have regular and aqua. For some reason, even though I could go to the class I just can't make myself walk through those doors.
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    I've been a Zumba instructor for about 4 years and I still learn something new each week. The biggest thing that helped me was to network with other instructors - at our gym, we have about 7 instructors, and most of us co-teach. In addition to our regular staff in-services, we hold monthly Zumba-only workshops where we share choreography, talk about possible new teaching styles, and just get to know each other better. I used to go to another nearby gym to work out, and I was appalled at how catty some of the other instructors were. Some would even insult other instructors during our class! This was incredibly distracting to other students. Get to know your other staff members well, and enjoy being part of the Zumba instructor family! :)
  • Becca1996x
    Becca1996x Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 17 and addicted to Zumba (since early Dec 2012). I am doing an instructor's training in June 2013 and would love to hear tips from current instructors on how to ensure you are well-received by the class etc. I am able to do the training as 16-17 year-olds can do so with parent's permission :)
    Also, before I am licensed, would I be able to co-teach with my current instructor? Say, if she asked me to come to the front for a song or two, would that be alright, despite the fact I'm not licensed just yet?
    Thanks in advance,
    Rebecca x
  • NaEl1
    NaEl1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm so excited i also get my Zumba Instructors license in June 2013 im looking forward to staying healthy and helping others. :)