Any Mountain Bikers Out There?

Options
I am an avid mountain biker, I love love love to ride. I hit the trails as much as my schedule and the weather will allow, which isn't as much as I would like. I like to ride 3-4 times a week, but currently at twice a week and hitting the gym. I'm always looking to meet new friends, MTB is a plus :smile:

For the MTBers, what other exercises do you do to help your endurance? I have recently discovered the Arc Trainer and think it helps. Any other recommendations, besides a bike trainer. I hate being on a bike inside.

Also, what do you use for fuel on the days you ride? I want to find a balance of the right foods to fuel a 12-15 mile ride (which includes some good climbs).

Thank you!!!

Replies

• scottyroman
    scottyroman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ? what is an arc trainer? i use an eliptical that changes hieght for your step and go level 25 at 85 % hieght so it feels like a bike but standing 30-60min a day 3 times a week for endurance. When i do my saterday ride usually18-20miles i start to feel like im looseing power at the halfway mark so i bring a bottle of water mixed with superpump max and one scoop of protein .before i go i usually take 2 scoops of protein also and that seems to work for me.
  • redhd_n_nc
    redhd_n_nc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The Arc trainer is " The science behind the Arc Trainer's big calorie burn is the arc motion. It engages quads and glutes – that demand lots of energy from the body when they are called upon to work. That means calorie burn and, because the Arc Trainer is demanding of the muscles – not the joints, it can be used longer without putting a strain on the knees, hip or back." Blah blah blah... For me, I can feel the muscles I use for biking more engaged than the Elliptical. I think it burns more calories too.. that is what the Cybex sites says. I know when I get on it it, I FEEL the burn and can tell it is much harder that the Elliptical. I can do the Elliptical for an hour and a half and the Arc trainer I am dying to stop at 50 mins and I am a sweaty mess just like after a good mtb ride.

I'll look up the superpump max. Thanks! I want to be able to ride 2 loops at my favorite trail each ride (24 miles total with lots of climbing). Besides strength/cardio, a boost is a good idea!