Running Support - How Do I get that Stamina or endurance?

Options
ALOHA!

I have been trying to get into running because I honestly LOVE IT (It makes my mind go quiet). But I find I'm not able to get my endurance up to where I need it. I make sure I'm well hydrated and I focus as well as I can but I can't seem to break the 1-mile marker at anything faster than a 11 minute 30 second mile. I want to get up to running 3 miles as a personal goal. Any suggestions on how to stay motivated while I'm running and how to power through those times I want to quit?

MAHALO!

Replies

• gottolosethisfat
    Options
    ALOHA!

I have been trying to get into running because I honestly LOVE IT (It makes my mind go quiet). But I find I'm not able to get my endurance up to where I need it. I make sure I'm well hydrated and I focus as well as I can but I can't seem to break the 1-mile marker at anything faster than a 11 minute 30 second mile. I want to get up to running 3 miles as a personal goal. Any suggestions on how to stay motivated while I'm running and how to power through those times I want to quit?

MAHALO!

Just keep going. My first two miles took 45 mins now I can do 3 miles in 30 mins, my fastest mike was 8 mins. Try going every other day after your first mile start doing it in 2 mins jogging then 1 min walking, just slowly builds you up
  • bfee
    bfee Posts: 36
    Options
    I started running using the Couch to 5K plan! It worked GREAT for me as it gradually works you up to running 30 minutes. I know there are many others on MFP that have used the C25K program as well.

You can check it out at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

I started the program at the end of August and I've run four 5K's! Running is certainly addictive! I've never felt better! :)

Best wishes!
  • Tammisky
    Options
    Don't worry about being "where you should be". Just take it slow. The worst thing would be to push yourself too hard and then get injured.

I agree with the other poster about running and then walking in intervals to build your speed up.

Also, be sure to congratulate yourself on what you can already do - there are a lot of people who can't run a mile. Be thankful that you're able to do that much and give yourself more credit!:happy:
  • gottolosethisfat
    Options
    I started running using the Couch to 5K plan! It worked GREAT for me as it gradually works you up to running 30 minutes. I know there are many others on MFP that have used the C25K program as well.

You can check it out at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml.

I started the program at the end of August and I've run four 5K's! Running is certainly addictive! I've never felt better! :)

Best wishes!

I used that also, I just found the music boing on it but I always recommend it to people
  • meathelmet1981
    meathelmet1981 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I started by doing 3mins jogging then 2 mins walking 4 times for each session.

I did that for a week then upped it to 6 times per session.(i did 4-5 sessions a week)

Then at the end of my 2nd week i did a 25min non-stop run that carried me almost 4k.

So the jog/run system definitely worked for me. My aim is a 10k by April, and I feel great knowing that I'm almost half way there already.

keep at it.

M
  • gottolosethisfat
    Options
    Yeh jogging and running is the best.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I went from no running ever to now having two 5K's under my belt.
    (and now planning a Warrior Dash and signed up for an indoor triathalon).

I've heard wonderful things about couch to 5k, but I was able to work
    with my trainer. He started me out just running at a comfortable pace
    for 15-20 min. Then we worked up to me running 30 min. Then it was
    time to increase the speed. And finally, for endurance, he had me
    running intervals- that is to say run at a slower pace for 30 sec and
    a faster pace for 30 seconds. Or the same intervals doing 1 minute
    low, and 1 minute high. He insists that is the key to building endurance.

Good luck!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about your speed just yet. Run slower and you will find it easier to go longer.
    I've gone from running 30 seconds to 40 minutes in 2 months. (13 min miles)
    C25k is good, or just try and run a little longer each time.
    Once you can do the distance, it will be much easier to run faster if you only have to do 10-12 mins instead of 40!! You can then add intervals to your 5k one day, do 1 mile as fast as you can another day, and longer slow run on the last day.
    You will get there just keep at it x
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Your advice is very well received. I think I put myself down too much and don't realize that it'll take time.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Went running today trying to take everything you all have said into consideration. I now can barely run a half mile and seem to have lost ALL of my stamina, suggestions? It's really putting me in a sour mood and making me want to quit running. To go backwards from running a mile to only being able to run a solid half mile is really depressing.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    As someone else said, don't worry about speed. Once you have increased your stamina and endurance, you can work on lowering your time by doing intervals and hills. Plus, the more you run and the longer you are able to do it in a session, you will naturally get faster. Good luck to you!