Getting discouraged already!

Options
Hello, I started this last Saturday and I've been staying with the calories I'm suppose to have daily, but I'm seeing no changes on the scale. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!! :frown:

Replies

• bugs5697
    Options
    Don't get discouraged too soon, things will work out!!! Stay positive!!
    A couple of things that have helped me through the 'tough' spots, is remembering to not weigh myself daily, measure arms, waist, thighs once a week, when my pants feel looser, I know I've done something right. I also remember just to have my healthy snacks on hand, fruits and veggies are always with in reach. And not to deprive myself of my faves of pizza, choco, cake, etc...A bite never killed anyone.
    Also, surrond yourself with people that will help you along in this journey. You did the right thing with signing up with MFP. It's so rewarding coming here and seeing all the positive people that are in this world.
    Good luck to you!!!
  • sweetangel99
    Options
    thanks a lot, I will try to stop weighing everyday....and start measuring instead!! ; )
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    we dont gain the weight that fast and we dont lose it that fast
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    I was discouraged like that to but I started to take measurements and saw the difference. Take measurements and put away the scale for awhile.
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    we dont gain the weight that fast and we dont lose it that fast

words to ALWAYS remember!! :)
  • Tianzi
    Tianzi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This happens to almost everyone everytime. It will come off, just be patient (I know it's hard), I agree, don't weigh everyday, just continue to do good and you WILL See results
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    are you weighing out your portions! I think a food scale is a must if you are calorie counting and not seeing results! I know my idea of what a portion of things were, was so off!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Hello, I started this last Saturday and I've been staying with the calories I'm suppose to have daily, but I'm seeing no changes on the scale. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!! :frown:

It's been 4 days, depending on water and nutrition I wouldn't get too worried just yet :-) Give it time.
  • aeboone24
    Options

use it as motivation.... i had lost 3lbs the first week but i have not lost anything the past 2weeks... just keep going and eventually we will break the plato mark... its our bodies trying to trick us in thinking the weight is okay, (its not!) so fight with your heart, mind and body... we can do it!
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Remember, the weight gain was gradual so it isn't going to come off in one week. It takes time and yes, it can be hard to be patient. :) I have decided to only weight myself on Sunday mornings before breakfast. I am also planning to check my measurements at the end of every month. It can be frustrating and discouraging, but stick with it!!! It will be so worth it!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Just do it for two weeks with blind faith. Stop putting so much pressur on your body. Nothing changes that fast and if this is a long term change for you it's important to not check in daily. Think about something else for a minute.:smile:
  • katytru
    Options
    Instead of measuring or weighing every single day do it once a week. Yeah... I know it's hard to not want to step on the scale once a day and sometimes even once a week you won't see results. like he said earlier we don't gain or lose weight that fast. You would have to go one of those crazy reality shows which really isn't a reality because no one has the time to work out THAT much. ;) Stay strong.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for 3 weeks now and after losing 1#....I gained 3!! Tomorrow is my weigh in and I hope to lose! Try not to weigh every day. Once a week is enough. Take your measurements if you haven't already because lots of times those will change if the weight doesn't! Don't give up! You can sooo do this! Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    MFP is a brilliant place to make friends and support each other. Browse the forums a bit, or search the groups for folks your age, or with your weight to drop, etc. - something you have in common. Between that and logging your daily food and exercise, after a couple of weeks maybe you'll spy a trend of something you can tweak a little bit.. like... I snack a lot after 8 pm, so I need to stock up on healthier snacks or increase my water intake at that time... Hang tough, it'll happen!
  • destiny364us
    destiny364us Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As hard as it sounds, try and not get discouraged. I am not losing weight as fast as I would like, but I have gained more energy, stamina, and just feel better throughout the day. It took me a week before I say my first couple of LBS drop off.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Consider it practice for the times when you hit a plateau and need to persist with your efforts in order to get past it. We do get obsessed sometimes with seeing progress - but for some of us at least, part of this battle is to learn how to get away from the instant gratification that food and drink give us. So having to wait a bit, again, is good practice. And oftentimes you'll be extra pleased when the scale does change because it can be a bit more than you've expected...but if it's not, it's still progress...:-) Also (i forgot to look at how much you have to lose) but if you are starting out at a lower weight, the weight doesn't fall off as it might with someone who is much heavier. Don't worry, you will get there!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food diary, but be sure to track your sodium and make sure you aren't going over there....its not a default mfp setting, but a common area lots of people go over.

Above all, give it time to start working. Your body doesn't necessarily adjust overnight and start reacting to change that quickly...its a marathon, not a sprint!
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You can`t expect weight loss to be over night.... it could take a week to lose a pound or more....thee are so many factors involved.... you body, exercise, calories consumed...etc.... Just don`t give up and stick to it.... the results will come. It took me 1 year to lose 51lbs.... time and patience and a hell of alot of hard work.... YOU CAN DO IT !!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    It's a slow process. I wouldn't expect to lose more than a pound a month, unless I had a huge amount of excess weight. I've been doing this since October and have lost nearly 4 pounds, a little at a time.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh ins and monthly measurements. You'll see results.