Hello, last chance at weight loss before surgery

Options
Hello folks, am new to mfp after reading loseit on reddit across the weekend.

I am a 32 year old male, 6 foot 2 and I weigh 350lbs. My doctor has advised me that I'm now at the point where I need to make some major progress, or get surgery. I'm totally opposed to surgery (for me!) as it feels inherently wrong that I can't do this for myself. In the past 6 months I've managed to lose 25 lbs from a record high of 375, but not in a "healthy" way - I got into a routine of starving myself in the week when I'm busy at work and then acting out at the weekend with beer / curry inspired goodness (badness).

Here's the weird part - everything else in my life is fantastic apart from my weight. I have a beautiful wife whom I love to bits, a gorgeous 3 month old daughter, two cranky cats and a nice house. I'm a director in a start up business which has grown enormously and set us in good shape for the future.

So I've got a personal trainer, I've signed up here, I'm going to try and cut down the beer significantly, and I'm going to record every miserable slither of sustenance that passes my lips. I'm feeling a combination of positivity about stepping up and trying to make some real progress, and fear / worry about the enormity of the task, and what it would say about my life if I can't motivate myself to make the change.

I would hope I can meet some kindred folks on here and helpfully give some mutual support.

Cheers, Chris.

Replies

• krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you have a lot of inspiration in your life! You seem very disciplined in many areas, it should carry over to this task. Don't feel like surgery is a defeat though, it has helped a lot of people on their journey
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Surgery should always be a last resort after EVERYTHING else has been exhausted! Keep focused and determined and you can do it!
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    Hi Chris
    Well Done, youve made a great 1st step and im sure it will all pay off as it sounds like u ave a lot to live for and people who care n love you. all the best 4 the start of your new healthy life and can defo try n offer support.
    gemma :happy:
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Good luck!! This is a great website with great people. Make small goals and proceed from there! Try to lose 10 lbs by Valentines day. Once you see how easy that goal was to reach, then try for 10 more by St Pattys :)
  • KikuLogan
    KikuLogan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Tracking what I eat has always been a huge help and a challenge for me. So has keeping up with fitness but now I just take "baby steps" and when I fall off the wagon I get right back on. I lost 45lbs on WW then switched to MFP. Being positive even when I feel like I've "cheated" or "failed" has helped me IMMENSELY. Good luck, surgery should always be your last option.
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A fantastic book to read is "You on a Diet" it really made me understand how my body works! I am 5'2" and I used to weigh 353#
    You will definitely find support here!!
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Congrats and I wish you luck on your journey! I know you can do this! It's not about dieting, starving, deprivation.. it's about changing your lifestyle and building healthy habits. MFP is an awesome site and always lends me support and guidance when I need it. :flowerforyou:

**If for some reason you have to resort to surgery though don't fret or give up hope, it's just another tool available to people to help acheive a healthy lifestyle and weight. There are also many other programs and ways out there to help you lose weight as well and provide you support. **
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great job in joining MFP! I appreciate your determination. This is a great place to get support and encouragement and constructive help when you're struggling :) Definitely start with small goals, it makes it easier to stay on track! Try making some healthy switches in your diet at first, like switch to whole grain breads and pastas, increase the fruits and veggies, and MEASURE EVERYTHING! it is the easiest way to keep your portions in control, as that gets easier then you can start cutting back on the bad stuff... one piece of advice for healthy weight loss is not to just stay under your calorie goal but also keep track of your protein, fiber, Vitamin and Iron/Calcium intake to make sure you're eating the right foods. You have to make your changes for the long term, so be sure they're things you can stick with.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I kind of felt the same way in October. I have a couple of friends who did the lap band and while I don't care what other people do, I just felt it wasn't right for *me*. On the other hand, I knew I could not keep going as I was.

I signed back on to MFP (after not having done so for months) and have logged in every single day since. I'm now regularly exercising 4-5 times a week. And as of Monday, I'm down 30.5 pounds.

You can do it!!!!
  • Hoolie24
    Options
    I was at the same point just 5 months ago. My doctor approved me for the lap band, but asked me to try one more time on my own. I just told myself if I am willing to put myself through a major surgery, why not try just a little bit harder. I signed up for a 5k run, started walking, eased into running, and ran my first 5k last November. I am now signed up for another one in March. I have lost a total of 23 pounds so far, by logging my food on MFP, eating better, and exercising more. I did fall off the wagon over the holidays, which slowed me down on my weight loss but did not discourage me. Get an exercise buddy, hold each other accountable, and start moving and logging your food. You will be shocked the first week at how many calories you are used to eating. Dont give up! I agree that weight loss is another tool, but it is worth another try at doing it the old fashioned way. I would also suggest seeing a doctor to make sure you are in good physical condition, such as thyroid, blood pressue, etc. That really helps too. Good luck on your journey
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome! hopefully the tools and support on MFP will give u the encouragement u need to lose the weight! If u do need the surgery in the end, don't feel like u have been defeated or taken the "easy" option, it's still admirable that u have taken the step to change ur life for the better! i look forward to watching ur progress, good luck.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I was once in your same position where my options were either lose weight or go under the knife. I did things the not exactly right way, but I totally understand how it feels to be where you are. I feel for you. MFP is an amazing resource. My advise for doing things the right way is get a good food scale and measure everything you put into your body. Eyeballing it varies too much depending on how hungry you are at the moment. Second, plan everything ahead. In my fridge right now I have all my meats and vegetables pre-measured out waiting, so when i get hungry it's there.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery 10 years ago. I got pregnant right before I was a year after the surgery (I wanted babies really badly) and never got to my goal weight. The surgery saved my life. 3 kids later I never got anywhere near my highest weight, even while pregnant. It made me feel normal, like I could get full like a normal person. I do have to say this website is a fantastic way to get your eating habits under control and to see exactly what you are putting in your mouth and how many calories everything gives you. Either way, here you will find a ton of support. It is a journey of relearning everything you think you know about food. Best of luck to you. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am 41, started losing at 363 lbs. I am at 301 right now. You CAN and WILL do this. For me, I had to find an eating plan I could stick with, then I set a goal for myself. I entered a triathlon in August. I will complete the triathlon in time or die trying.

I have a great doctor, she is my ally in this. I am off all BP and diabetes meds now. Sleep apnea is gone.

So, what I am saying is, you can do this. Find some people on here that you can talk to, that won't judge you but that you can use as a sounding board. Find a plan you like but be careful what you post in the forums. I am sure you will see why. It's like high school on here.

Be sure you can have fun while doing this. Nobody like being around a grumpy dieter in the real world.
    Peace to you my brother in flab! Many future successes to you!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that surgery should be your last option. Too many possibilities of complications etc and even with the surgery you still end up limiting your caloric intake, not because you are not hungry, but because if you eat too much you will get sick. If you wife is able maybe she could make you lunches to take to work so you don't eat too much at the cafeteria or the restaurant. If you don't plan your meals and log your food you will have a much harder time controlling the foods you eat. Good luck to you. I think you have made a great choice!
  • peckle123
    peckle123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi made up my mind at start of January to lose weight . So far 7 lbs gone, I love this web site , the tools and the support you get from other members is fantastic. I feel I can do this. And so can you.
    My best tip - I am not great with excercise and found it hard to find something i really enjoy , but my husband and I have started to go for fast evening walk every day , excercise and a chance to chat after a busy day. Find something you enjoy and it will be much easier to get exercising
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had tried many different programs before I came here to MFP. Some of those I paid dearly for and none of it worked. Once I got in here, which my niece referred me here, things started going a lot better and I started loosing. I understand myself more now, what really kills me on my weight loss, and that I am not doing it alone because I have made a whole bunch of friends here. Goodluck with your journey and send me a friends request if you want to!
  • mlks2012
    Options
    You have taken a major step in the right direction. It is no secret that there is no secret. Discipline over deprivation. Simply writing everything down just makes you aware of the contents of the food you are eating. Congrats on this step of your journey! Simply taking a walk and getting away from the tempting situations will give you peace of mind as well as all you will be doing with your trainer. It won't be easy, but no one ever said it would be. I, like you, am wanting to do this and MFP is a great tool to aid in the journey.

Success to you this day and beyond!
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: I'm feeling a combination of positivity about stepping up and trying to make some real progress, and fear / worry about the enormity of the task, and what it would say about my life if I can't motivate myself to make the change.

One more thing. Remember back to the last time you were "skinny". You didn't get to this point without some intense eating and drinking effort and it will take patience and forgiveness with yourself to get back to that point. It is one day at a time so the enormity amounts to just 24 hrs at a time. If you try to make it more than that it will be overwhelming.
  • CHUBBYLOVLEY
    CHUBBYLOVLEY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    hello,
    I'am in the processes of getting everything done prior to getting approval from the insurance. I have surgeons orders to lose weight prior to surgery. I felt the same way as you when it came to feeling defeated by my weight, but I have recently have had my weight smack me in the face with new physical ailments due to how heavy I am and I realized this is the only thing that is going to save me.

Never give up! you are worth every little bit of blood,sweat and tears to make yourself healthy!

Feel free to add me as a friend we all need motivation from one another why not let it be someone who knows where you've been and where you want to be

Good Luck!