what weights and reps to use for weight loss on a woman

Options
2»

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Heavier weight, lower reps. Don't listen to anyone who says "low weight, high reps to tone / lose weight" because that's useless.

Anywhere between 6 and 10 reps is good. The weight should be heavy enough so that the last couple of reps are a struggle but you still maintain good form :)
    The weight all depends on how strong you are now and differs with each person as "heavy" is relative. You'll probably spend a few sessions just testing the different weights out and what works best for you.
  • tamaradarlene
    tamaradarlene Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone, thank you! I appreciate all the feedback. I started lifting today so we'll see how it goes. I feel better prepared because of your feedback, so thanks again!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Heavier weight, lower reps. Don't listen to anyone who says "low weight, high reps to tone / lose weight" because that's useless.

Anywhere between 6 and 10 reps is good. The weight should be heavy enough so that the last couple of reps are a struggle but you still maintain good form :)
    The weight all depends on how strong you are now and differs with each person as "heavy" is relative. You'll probably spend a few sessions just testing the different weights out and what works best for you.

High reps can work if you are almost at failure at the last few reps. It's more about the amount of work done vs high/low rep
  • drea73
    drea73 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a high weight low rep gal. Go heavy or go home. Why do 30 bicep curls with 5 pounds when you can do 10 bicep curls with 15 pounds and see more results. Why sit there rowing with 8 pounds in each hand all day when you can row with 20 pound in each hand and really push yourself.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    start out slow and regardless of hw many reps you're doing, concentrate on increasing your weight load every week. also, try increasing your calories for awhile if you've hit a plateau..!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    It's not really the reps and weight, it's more about how hard you work.

If you use 1lb dumbells and rep them for 15, that's not much better than 5lb dumbells for 8(ie.. for flat bench presses). You're not working very hard either way.

Whatever the rep/weight count, it should be to failure or almost to failure.

I agree with this. I'm not sure if it matters if you get exactly 13 reps, or 10 reps, or 5.. I think you should be lifting consistently and lifting to failure. Today I only got to 8 reps before I couldn't lift anymore.

And this! :heart:
  • fbguy76
    Options
    For a woman, you definitely want to go with low weight and high reps if you want to tone your muscle and burn fat. If you want to get much stronger and be built up, then do high weight, low reps. It depends on what exercise you are doing and how long it has been since your last workout. You typically don't want to go over 20 reps, so do a more sets if 20 doesn't get your muscle burning. If you double this workout with cardio, then you will notice a significant weight drop. Of course core exersizes like crunches and sit-ups should have more reps. I have had several weight training classes with a former body builder, am a member of a gym, play football, and wrestled for quite a while. If you follow these instructions, you are sure to see results very quickly.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I can't believe Engineman didn't mention this... meet Staci. She says lift heavy. Lots and lots of women on here (myself included) agree.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Enjoy! And see you on the badass side of the gym.