Recording Strength Training

Options
I am very new to all this, but have been posting my cardio and food intake daily. Today I had my first strength training with a trainer. Why are there no "calories burned showing up in my report after I enter the info. (sets, reps and weight)
Curious

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you put all of your sets and reps under strength training, then search weight training under 'cardio' - you will get some calories for it :-) x
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am very new to all this, but have been posting my cardio and food intake daily. Today I had my first strength training with a trainer. Why are there no "calories burned showing up in my report after I enter the info. (sets, reps and weight)
    Curious

I use a HRM while doing strength training to tell me how many calories I burned, then just stick it under cardio, like TiffaniBarret said
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    you dont have to put in all your reps and sets under strength, its pretty much just there for your own records to see how youve improved.

but yes, search for weight training under cardio and enter the minutes you did :) youll get calories that way
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    HRMs don't give a good indication of calorie burn for weights, unfortunately - they're better for steady state cardio.

There are calculators out there. Or you could just use the MFP weight training cardio entry. It probably underestimates, but it's hard to get an accurate estimate for weights.

(edited to correct gobbledygook!)
  • joekelly315
    joekelly315 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I did not know.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    The really important thing is.... did you enjoy doing your weights? Weight training is definitely my favourite bit!

Good luck with the rest of your journey.
  • TGomo
    TGomo Posts: 35
    Options
    I record my personal training sessions under cardio as circuit training (and I estimate about half the time as there are mini breaks, her demonstrating what exercise I need to do next, etc.). The strength will record weight, reps, etc. which is great to see progress that you've made, but it won't give you calories burned.