My Vending Machine Idea

Options
Today I was at the Y. M. C. A. and I wanted to get something from the vending machines. So I walk up and decide to get a NutriGrain bar. It said it was a good source of whole grain, so I go "Oooh, that sounds healthy and yummy!" Then I look and it has 14 grams of sugar, no fiber, artificial flavorings. I eat it, and it feels like empty calories. I'm watching my sugar intake, so I'm feeling really guilty.

So here's my idea. Snacks in vending machines should be facing the OPPOSITE direction. That way, people can look at the nutrition facts before putting their coins in the slot.

The Y.M.C.A.'s goal is to promote health, but they serve unhealthy foods (good thing I didn't get the M+Ms or Poptart!:frown: ) If you agree with me about the vending machine idea, say so.

Replies

• melisay
    melisay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree completely. We always say eat clean - nothing pre packaged. As far as i am concerned if you don't create it from scratch don't eat it. All of those bars are corporation money trap all bad fiasco. If it's still packaged don't eat it ... instead take snacks with you so you can have it after a work out.

a big nice tip for the ladies. Buy a reasonable size purse/bag and carry topper wear full of goodness - carrots, sandwich, chicken breast, fruit salad and etc....

cheers
    Today I was at the Y. M. C. A. and I wanted to get something from the vending machines. So I walk up and decide to get a NutriGrain bar. It said it was a good source of whole grain, so I go "Oooh, that sounds healthy and yummy!" Then I look and it has 14 grams of sugar, no fiber, artificial flavorings. I eat it, and it feels like empty calories. I'm watching my sugar intake, so I'm feeling really guilty.

So here's my idea. Snacks in vending machines should be facing the OPPOSITE direction. That way, people can look at the nutrition facts before putting their coins in the slot.

The Y.M.C.A.'s goal is to promote health, but they serve unhealthy foods (good thing I didn't get the M+Ms or Poptart!:frown: ) If you agree with me about the vending machine idea, say so.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I think they should vend fruit and veggies especially at schools health clubs and hospitals.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Carrying snacks is a great idea, but the ones that require refrigeration should not be carried in a purse, but rather in something with a cold pack, especially in the summer.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It is all I can do to keep my mouth shut at work when someone is standing with their money in front of that evil thing:tongue:

I offer my carrots and hummus to anyone that comes by. I shared cheese and triscuits the other day. I am trying to prove good food is just as easy as vender machine junk!!

I like you idea, a LOT!!:drinker:
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    It is all I can do to keep my mouth shut at work when someone is standing with their money in front of that evil thing:tongue:

I offer my carrots and hummus to anyone that comes by. I shared cheese and triscuits the other day. I am trying to prove good food is just as easy as vender machine junk!!

You should set up a little table in front of the vending machine . . . "snacks that are healthier for you! Don't buy that junk behind me!":laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

You should set up a little table in front of the vending machine . . . "snacks that are healthier for you! Don't buy that junk behind me!":laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Carrying snacks is a great idea, but the ones that require refrigeration should not be carried in a purse, but rather in something with a cold pack, especially in the summer.

We pack pudding cups and fruit cups and to keep them cold, I freeze our juice boxes or bottles of water the night before...instant ice pack!
  • katemadrigal
    Options
    Agreed! I'm a former "weight watcher" and it took a long time for me to come around to no longer eating "empty calories". There's so many nutritous things to eat that have less sodium, sugars and artificial crap in them. I typically stay away from vending machines, and I carry a Kashi granola bar or an apple at all times to ward off hunger!
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    No offence but if you're trying to eat healthy you should look somewhere else other than a vending machine. I agree that the nutritional info facing out wouldn't hurt, but generally people eating from vending machines are not the ones who are concerned about the calories, sugar, fat content etc so it's kind of a moot point you have there dont you think?
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    No offence but if you're trying to eat healthy you should look somewhere else other than a vending machine. I agree that the nutritional info facing out wouldn't hurt, but generally people eating from vending machines are not the ones who are concerned about the calories, sugar, fat content etc so it's kind of a moot point you have there dont you think?

I guess so. Usually I don't eat from vending machines, but don't we want a healthier world? Most people DO eat from vending machines, so whether it's to help us when we have no other choice or to help them realize what's really in all the stuff they're eating, it wouldn't hurt.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

I guess so. Usually I don't eat from vending machines, but don't we want a healthier world? Most people DO eat from vending machines, so whether it's to help us when we have no other choice or to help them realize what's really in all the stuff they're eating, it wouldn't hurt.

I don't agree that most people do eat from vending machines. I do agree that people that didn't think ahead eat from vending machines. Lesson learned for you, you can't expect corporate america to give a crap about your health. The healthier a pre-packaged product claims to be the more likely it is to be the worst choice for you.
    Throw an apple and a bag of almonds or other favorite nuts into your bag for next time, cheaper, healthier and you won't feel guilty afterwards! :drinker:
  • coachkathy
    coachkathy Posts: 35
    Options
    I think the majority of people who purchase items from a vending machine are not health conscious eaters. Health conscious eaters take the time to throw nutritious snacks in their purse on the way out the door & if they don't, they wait until they can get their hands on something nutritious. I NEVER leave my house without snacks for myself & my kids.

Just my thoughts! :smile:
  • epalyn
    epalyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the majority of people who purchase items from a vending machine are not health conscious eaters. Health conscious eaters take the time to throw nutritious snacks in their purse on the way out the door & if they don't, they wait until they can get their hands on something nutritious. I NEVER leave my house without snacks for myself & my kids.

Just my thoughts! :smile:

I pack a lunch and a snack every day. Some days, I forget. On those days, since I work in corporate America, my only choice for a snack is the vending machine.

I'm lucky in that at my company, there are about 3 "healthy" choices: pretzels, granola bar, trail mix.

My thoughts are that if you're stranded and your only choice for a MUST HAVE snack is somethign unhealthy- make sure you exercise, later...