Hard to eat healthy

Options
I am happy of my new awareness of the food I put into my body, but it is HARD to eat healthy! It is so expensive for organic I just cant swing it most of the time... It seems like I am always going over my set amount for sugars and sodium... Its a bit discouraging. BLAH!

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Healthy doesn't necessarily mean organic.

Make small changes to your daily diet. Eventually, you'll figure it out.
  • PaulS70
    PaulS70 Posts: 70
    Options
    Eating clean is far less expensive than gimmicky diet products or large bad-health related medical bills.

Just stick with it. Its worth it.
  • rachaelh84
    rachaelh84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's harder this time of year, but check out the local famer's markets. Get to know your local growers. If you go towards the end of the market of that day, you can sometimes get a cheaper price. They'd rather sell it than take it home. Obviously more abundant in the spring and summer, but we have winter markets here as well.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Eat the dirty dozen organic. If you can't afford organic animal products walmart sells milk (and I assume other dairy) from antibiotic free animals. Also buy lean cuts of meat and trim the fat because the majority of the antibiotics and hormones are stored in their fat.
  • BabyTire
    Options
    what's the dirty dozen organic? I always get organic milk though....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    organic is sometimes over rated. eat food with only a list of ingredients that dont require a science degree...get enough protein...dont be afraid of fat...drink your water

its hard sometimes but worth it
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Here's all the answers you need: http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

As far as a guide to organic foods and eating on a budget... don't really care if you follow the paleo or not.
  • mrscarrey
    mrscarrey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

Whether you are on a budget and need to prioritize your organic purchases, or you would simply like to know which type of produce has the highest pesticide residues—and which do not—the following guide from the Environmental Working Group will help.

12 Most Contaminated
    ■Peaches
    ■Apples
    ■Sweet Bell Peppers
    ■Celery
    ■Nectarines
    ■Strawberries
    ■Cherries
    ■Pears
    ■Grapes (Imported)
    ■Spinach
    ■Lettuce
    ■Potatoes

12 Least Contaminated
    ■Onions
    ■Avocado
    ■Sweet Corn (Frozen)
    ■Pineapples
    ■Mango
    ■Asparagus
    ■Sweet Peas (Frozen)
    ■Kiwi Fruit
    ■Bananas
    ■Cabbage
    ■Broccoli
    ■Papaya

More Information
    For easy reference, download a copy of the wallet guide!

Environmental Working Group
    http://www.ewg.org
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am happy of my new awareness of the food I put into my body, but it is HARD to eat healthy! It is so expensive for organic I just cant swing it most of the time... It seems like I am always going over my set amount for sugars and sodium... Its a bit discouraging. BLAH!
    Just keep punching as best you can, and don't sweat that your veggies are not all "organic" or whatever.
    All you can do is all you can do.
    I hate organic.
    They're nearly twice as expensive, worm eaten and ugly.
    My wife joined some co-op that delivers those things weekly, and I just go to WalMart superstore.
    My fruits and veggies look 10 times better and are so much cheaper.

Maybe one day I'll see more value in organic, but a person must crawl before walking, walk before running and run before soaring. She soars; I crawl.
    And that's ok....:drinker:
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco near you, I would try there. If a friend has a membership, ask to go shopping with them.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat organic to eat healthily. Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have good produce at good prices. Their organics are reasonably priced as well. I would not buy produce from the big box superstores like Walmart and Target, personally, unless you are really in a pinch. At least go to your local grocery store; many mainstream chain grocers are selling local produce at fair prices now.