Sorry in advance. BMR question

Options
Hey guys, I just started here and I dont think I understand the BMR thing.. I tried searching and cant find anything that clears it up for me, so sorry if this has been covered a billion times if you could link me to a relevant answer that would be more than enough. ok so i just used the tool on MFP and it says my BMR is roughly 1600, but it had my daily goal set to 1200 which isnt a problem. but are the two numbers supposed to be closer to eachother? ive been losing weight but im worried its not healthy weight loss. please clarify this for me i feel so lost!

but then theres this
Calories Burned
From Normal Daily Activity 1930 calories/day

how is that different from BMR?

Replies

• deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    BMR: your daily calorie burn if you were in a coma.

TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) your actual daily calorie burn since you are NOT in a coma.

What did you set your goal weight loss as? MFP calculates your BMR, then calculates an expected daily burn (minus exercise) based on the activity level. Let's say you said your activity level was sedentary (desk job), MFP takes your BMR times 1.2 to estimate what you'll probably burn in a day (again, minus exercise).

1600 * 1.2 = 1920

MFP then takes whatever your weight loss goal is and subtracts that amount, at the rate of 500 calories per lb.

So if you said you wanted to lose 2 lbs per week, 1920 - 1000 = 920.

BUT, MFP won't set anyone at lower than 1200, so 1200 is your default minimum.

Depending on your current weight and your goal weight, you may want to reduce your weight loss goal to 1.5 or 1 lb per week. That's a little more sustainable. (I'm calculating 1920 - 500 = 1420 as your calorie goal for 1 lb per week weight loss.) But that's up to you.
  • gdc1979
    gdc1979 Posts: 22
    Options
    ok your BMR is what your body needs to fuel your internal activities while at rest. your daily goal is set depending on your activities level specified and how many lbs you want to lose per week by MFP. so as long as you set your activity level accurately and eat close to your daily goal you should lose the amount you want per week. so with a 400 hundred deficit you would lose 2800 calories per week. (bout 3/4 of a pound) but this isnt figuring in your regular daily calorie burn( activity level) or your added exercise calorie burn.

MFP has estimated that your daily activity calorie expenditure is around 1900 cal ( this is your daily activity of around 300 cals on top of your BMR)

so if you add you 300 to your defecit of 400 = 700 cals deficit per day = approx 1.5 llbs per week. with added exercise to factor in still.

as long as you stick close to your daily total and eat back some if not all exercise calories. then you should lose weight healthily!