BODYPUMP! love it or hate it?

Options
So I hate weight training but have found this Bodypump class to be fun and I can get my weight training in twice a week. Do you guys like it? Any advice on how much weight I should use if I'm not trying to bulk up?

Replies

• BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    LOVE IT!!! I just started it and have not a bit of advice but the burn feels so good. (i almost chickened out and didn't go in the class because everyone was so fit, and i was the only one with a muffin-top...lol) I like the BodyStep a little more. The girl in front of me at BodyStep wore her HRM and burned 900+ calories.

eta...i put 5 lbs on each side...but i'm not strong.
  • michcruz
    michcruz Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've never been to these types of classes, but if you don't want to bulk up...do lighter weights and more reps. This will help tone you up.
  • blondishandbookish
    Options
    To be honest, its unlikely you will do the weights to really bulk up. I would start light and work your way up (ask your instructor for help). One instructor at my gym was a tiny petite girl who had twice as much as everyone else including the men on all sections.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I love it so much that I got certified to teach it in 2009. Unless you are eating a caloric surplus you will not, WILL NOT, WILL NOT, bulk up (or if you're taking anebolic steroids or testosterone injections). So push those weights and see the pounds melt away!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've never been to these types of classes, but if you don't want to bulk up...do lighter weights and more reps. This will help tone you up.

Nope, nope, and nope again. This is old school train of though and totally antiquated. I squat 60 pounds in a pump class and more than my body weight in the weight room. I’m a little beefy right now, but didn’t get that way until I started pushing my caloric intake, and I’m still now going up at the rate I had planned. Pump that iron and don’t be scared!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its my FAVOURITE :smile: not huge on burn in comparison to what some people seem to log for other things.
    (I got my HRM yesterday and it showed 472 burn for 55 min, I lift 15kg squats, 5kg arms and 8kg chest) but I feel really energised after going and definitely seeing tone despite the flab :happy: x
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump! Class tomorrow morning at 9:30 - can't wait!

I lift heavy and I'm a skinny girl. You are not going to bulk up from lifting heavy weights. You will, however, melt away fat and get some nice lean muscles.
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    I used to love it. It's the only thing I miss about going to the gym. Now I go to personal training so we do weights, but it's not the same. My new favourite thing is boxing :smile:
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm honestly not a huge fan of the class. I can't even really explain it because I do enjoy lifting weights, just not really in a class setting.
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tried it once and hated it- seemed like we had to keep stopping to add weights or take weights off. I couldn't stand the lack of flow.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    So I hate weight training but have found this Bodypump class to be fun and I can get my weight training in twice a week. Do you guys like it? Any advice on how much weight I should use if I'm not trying to bulk up?

my advice would be to IGNORE anyone that trys to tell you to lift weights in any way that doesnt build muscle.
    you wont "bulk up"... if it was that easy, you would see alot more hulk-dudes running around... instead you will remain at the weight dictated by your caloric intake.. and just lose fat and replace its mass with muscle.. but you wont SEE the muscle unless you cut waaay too much fat off. instead the muscle will support the layer above it, and give it a "toned" look.

in other words, theres only 2 ways to be toned.

1. extremely low, unsustainable bodyfat so that the little muscle under shows with a tiny layer over it.
    2. healthy bodyfat levels, with enough muscle under it, it gives a toned shape.. (also you can lift more, open pickle jars, and generally feel better walking around)
  • adc45
    adc45 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too love it, love it, love it! Took it for 3 yrs and decided to get trained as an instructor. I love teaching and we recommend you start light to get the correct form and technique down then add on weight as you go to push the muscles to the max! Great for muscle endurance and you will not bulk up, just get toned muscles--don't be afraid to lift heavy! I like to feel the soreness the next day and know I've done my body good. lol I teach 3x a week, but would recommend starting with 2 classes a week and adding in cardio on the other days. Love it, and it's so good to be pushed in a group setting with fun, upbeat music.
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Love it!!! I was doing it three days a week, but dropped a class recently because the instructor seemed bored which bored me. I am replacing that class with Body Flow.
  • sed484
    sed484 Posts: 69
    Options
    I go to this class three times a week. Pump has a cult-like following!! Not so much from me though. I find it boring and repetitive but I need to get my weights in and I much prefer a class setting to doing it on my own. Therefore, it serves its purpose, but it is no fun cardio class!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I love BodyPump.

I try and push weights a little bit higher on one track a class.

I currently have a knee injury so am not allowed to do the squats/lunges tracks with weights on (I do the squats with no weights, and don't do the lunges track at all), and my HRM says I burn about 450 - 520ish each class.

I think a good instructor is the key. There is one instructor who doesn't 'love it' ... and I don't enjoy her classes at all, however the other instructors are great.
  • scotrunner
    Options
    I love body pump too. I only started in December but I've been going once or twice a week and it's great. I am quite lean and the definition I have is nice not bulky. Yesterday I used 10kg for the squat track and I varied between 5 & 7.5kg for all the chest, back, bicep tracks etc. The instructor was just telling us yesterday that you should only do it 2 or 3 times a week and give your body 24/48 hours between. She then proceeded to tell us she teaches 5 classes a week! She has a fantastic figure that isn't bulky and she lifts some really heavy weights. Go to the class, it is fantastic!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's my personal favourite class.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love pump! I am going later actually :) Start off light so you get the right technique.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You're not going to bulk up unless you're eating a surplus (i.e. over maintenance) and actually trying to bulk up. Never fear. :-)
  • Mandya0503
    Mandya0503 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! Just got back from taking it at 6.