Question for the ladies...

Options
So, since I have stopped taking my birth control I have lost 5 pounds. That is good and dandy, but I have now had more migraines than I have since they upped my dosage. Here is a dumb question...Do you think I am going through withdrawals as I try to clean my system from the hormones?

Replies

• ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Birth control regulates your hormones, and your migraines may be hormone related. I used to get EXTREMELY bad migraines, I still get them but less frequently and less intense since I've been on birth control. It could just be your bodies reaction to being without it. I'm not an expert and migraines can be very serious, I would suggest talking to your doctor if that keeps up.
  • abrantner
    Options
    Could be.. I have not taken BC in years, but suffer every two or three months...hideous migranes during TOM.. Going to gyno in a couple of weeks to discuss the situation. Since I don't have them any other time, I am going to take a layman's guess they are hormonally caused.
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I went off my pill it was horrible. I had the worst side effects. I'm not an expert but I think it is your body getting used to not having it.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. When I'm on any type of birth control, no big problems with migraines, when I came off they were back. If they continue to be a problem talk to your family doctor they can try a preventative medicine, but I also found after a few months off birth control the migraines would ease up a bit. I think it's probably withdrawal. Hope this helps. :)
    (I've been dealing with them on and off for 11 years, I can sympathize)
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have had migraines since I was 13 ( I am 32) just a little over 6 months ago - I FINALLY found a Dr. who didn't just want to push a drug that didn't work. I found out that my iron was too low, so I now take a supplement - and during my time of the month they were worse so I am taking a BC now that only allows me 4 periods a year. Still even during those times my headaches are not as severe as they once were. I also try to regulate my diet - which has also helped. I hope you are able to find relief from them, I know how terrible they are.
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I am hoping they go away too. I am tired of having to come home and just go to bed in the dark. I have recently been prescribed some other drugs, but knowing the side effects...I am not willing to chance it anymore. I am scheduling an appointment with naturopathic doctor to see if there is anything they can do for me. Just lose the weight is what every doctor has said and I am going to do just that. :))

Thanks again.
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes I would bet that they are likely caused by withdrawal from the BC pills. Hormones can wreck havoc on our bodies! With my pregnancies, I would get horrific headaches - days at a time - for the first few months. (Never had a migraine prior to that...) After my body adjusted to the new hormones, the headaches stopped. So I think if you give it some time til your body re-regulates itself, you'll likely stop having the headaches.

Hope you get some releif soon. Headaches suck!