Low Expectations?!?!?!

Options
So last Nov. I turned 30. Decided to turn myself around. Nov 20th I got on the scale and ***HOLY COW*** 233LBS NO FRICKEN WAY!!!! I started going to the gym on Nov 21st. I wanted more for me. I downloaded the app a couple weeks ago and weighed in at 214! Really?! WOOHOO Don't worry I didn't celebrate with cheesecake like I wanted to! LOL However my goal weight for myself is 165lbs. I am 5'5 and Im seeing a lot of other people that are at that weight and are trying to get 40 lbs less. UGH Do I have low expectations for myself? Or am I just getting a little bummed seeing others goals!?

Replies

• heavensent713
    Options
    Not at all. Your goal should be the weight that makes you feel happy about your own body. That weight will be different for everybody.
  • n8vchick77
    n8vchick77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about other peoples goals...YOURS are the ones that matter! I think you're doing great! congrats on your loss so far :)
  • cookiemomlane
    cookiemomlane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Your goal is for you. Do not worry about anyone else but you.
    Who knows, maybe when you reach this goal you will be ready to set another one.
    I know for me I have to set goals 10#s at a time or I see a BIG obstacle instead of the bigger picture.

Enjoy your journey,
    Jen
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I set myself at 3 tiers of goals. The first is 164 (healthy BMI). Second is 150, and the third is 135, my ideal size.

Right now, I focus on the first goal and nothing else.

Set goals you want and see where you want to go after you get there. There's nothing wrong with setting your goals above other people's. Do what works for you. Every body shape is different.
  • mcdonnellj
    Options
    Hi, - no you haven't got low Expectations !!!!! :grumble:

You should aim for your first a half stone then pat yourself on the back, then aim for the next half a stone, by making these 7lb goals to aim for it will be easier than than thinking about how much you actually need to lose to be at a healthy BMI.
    You need to lose between 1/2 up to 2lb per week, more than that is not really a healthy sustainable weight. bet your thinking 1/2 lb :( but if you buy yourself a couple packets of lard from the supermarket and weighed out 1/2 lb, wrap it in cling film and keep it in your fridge, then everytime you lose 1/2lb or more, just look at the lump of fat because it makes the 1/2 lbs well worth keeping on track for.

You have to want to lose weight for you and only you. I'm a weight watchers member now of 4 years and still cannot keep a happy medium, up and down every week, but this week my friend told me about this site and i think it is fab !! it certainly is helping me to reavaluate my food intake.

Good luck on your journey but i'm sure everyone on this site will have words of encouragement :) be happy !!
    Julie :happy:
  • Courtney24107
    Options
    It's totally fine! I'm 223 and I want to be 160! We're about the same lol
  • Bulldog1981
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom and inspiration! Im thinking maybe I was looking at everyone else and it was bumming me out a little! Thanks again!
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hi there-

I think that is a very realistic goal!!!! when you get there, then you can decide if you want to lose a couple of more pounds! Looks like you're on the right track!

Keep up the great work, you are making excellent progress it seems! :)
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Different goals for different people . Most of the people in my height range are aiming for 110 to 120, and while I would love to be that weight my body would not look good at that weight , so my goal is either 140 or 160 depending how I feel .
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Your goal should be about what makes you happy and healthy. Others have different goals, dont let them deter you
  • fatgirlruns
    Options
    What's great about goals is that you can refine them. Focus on what you think is right for you. Just because your goal is 165 right now doesn't tie you to 165 forever. Think of that as your goal for now and then re-evaluate. Healthy to you and healthy to somebody else can be completely different.
  • SaraLosingIt
    Options
    Don't worry about other peoples goals...YOURS are the ones that matter! I think you're doing great! congrats on your loss so far :)

Exactly this. You need to set your goals based on your comfort level and where you want to see yourself. You may get to your goal weight and decide that you still want to lose. Rather than going into maintenance you will keep losing 1-2 pounds per week. Your goals can be readjusted. I think your first goal is good because it shouldn't be too overwhelming.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'5 as well and my goal is around 155lb
    I'm large framed, and 28% BF so my LBM is more (124lb) than some of these others are aiming for!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards, post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than but load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile.

PS you are a beautiful woman .. all of this is just cake!
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    We're all different - - - focus on yourself more than others.
    It's about what weight/size YOU feel good about yourself and that your body feels good.
    If you want a little more "accurate" idea of what your weight "should be" you can use the BMI tool to get a weight range that is supposed to be healthy for you.
    I have a long term goal but I have set very small weekly, and monthly goals, looking at the overall picture can be overwhelming - reaching the small goals keeps me going.
    Decide how you feel when you reach your goal, if you feel great - good for you!!!! If you want to change your goal or expectation - keep going.... no matter what you decide being more healthy will make you feel great! Good Luck to you!!!!
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards, post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than but load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile.

PS you are a beautiful woman .. all of this is just cake!

I love these answers!!!! I couldnt' agree more with # 9, #3 and # 6, thanks for the reminders. :)
  • amcfarlan
    Options
    I think your goal should be whatever makes you feel good! We all have our own idea of what looks good. Personally, I've always wanted to look "sexy". I see that as being shaped more like Marilyn Monroe. If I weighed 105 at 5'2", I think I would look like a teenaged boy.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Your goal should be the weight that makes you feel happy about your own body. That weight will be different for everybody.

Exactly!

I have a 'set number' in my mind that I would like to see, but if I'm happy & content with my body 20 or so lbs before that number--great!! Just go by how you feel...you'll know! :)
  • Bulldog1981
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much for your motivational yet honest words! I appreciate everyone that took a minute to read my Blog and answered my thought! I appreciate all my MFP Friends your all wonderful people and for those not friends that still had input, I appreciate your time too! :happy:
  • elewis571
    Options
    You should not worry about those other. You are you and you are special. Keep up the good work.