Stuck at Starbucks - What to eat

Options
There are days which I am sometimes stuck at college for more than a couple of hours (like 1 to 5 or 6pm) where my small bag of almonds won't keep me filled enough for the entire time. I have a couple of options since time is limited; Subway, Panda Express or Starbucks. Panda Exp is definitely out for me since all their food seems fattening and unhealthy. Subway... maybe but meh. Starbucks seems like the only viable choice with their paninis or sandwiches, so I was wondering what is good to eat there (I am aiming to lose weight so something low in calories and carbs is great). Or what other kinds of food can I pack in my bag to avoid eating 'out' at all? (I've tried bananas which always got squashed in my bag and apples which were decent but had a soggier than usual taste versus eating them out of the fridge)

Replies

• Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Panda actually does have "healthier choices." I love to get the Kobari beef or mushroom chicken with steamed veggies in a panda bowl and its only 280 for the beef/veggie bowl and 290 for the chicken. You just have to watch out for sodium. Starbucks still has a skinny option but it is not great all the time. Be careful with panini's or sandwiches. They can have more calories than you would expect.

Among the three I would pick Subway any day.
    You could also pack slim fast, special k, or skinny cow stuff.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd go for a freshly made subway!

Healthy options at Starbucks are pretty limited, but they do label a few foods as skinny. High carb, though, if that's an issue.

Portable food - you can buy banana guards which stop them from squishing. Hard boiled eggs, rice cakes, cheese sticks, roast soy beans, would be my handbag staples.
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Starbucks does have the sandwhiches- which aren't really low cal BUT it's a decent amount for a meal if thats your "dinner". They also have fruit/yogurt things- but again, not the lowest cal.

Subway seems healthy, but it seems like my calories really add up there!

What I do is pack things, like protien/meal replacement bars, you could pack your own healthy sandwhich. I looove granola bars, especially fiber one, I keep a box in my car then I always have one with me or to throw in my purse.

I've also been into special K 2 O water packets, you add them to a bottle of water and they have 5 grams protien and 5 grams fiber, really fills me up when I'm at work and don't have time to eat.

Even some popcorn put into a bag would help, anything that will make you not want to eat even worse later! Personally I cut up apples and cover them in lemon juice and then put them in a plastic container to stay fresh and can eat those too!!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think your best option would be to bring your own food in a lunch bag with an ice pack. Pack lots of healthy snacks, veggie sticks, wheat crackers with peanut or almond butter, turkey slices or tofurkey if you are vegetarian, yogurt or cottage cheese, and an energy bar.
  • coquette87
    Options
    Definitely go with a bag and an ice pack. And play around with types of apples - some of them may keep better than others without getting that texture you describe.

I avoid buying food on campus if at all possible. A little apple costs almost as much as a gigantic muffin - and both cost way more than they should! So I bring food in an thermal lunch bag with an ice pack in it. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to carry around, but it's worth it. It only takes me a few minutes each morning to pack it. Usual offerings in my bag are: baby carrots and hummus, cauliflower/broccoli and dressing, peanut butter sandwich made with whole wheat bread, yogourt, whatever fruit I have on hand (apples, grapes, bananas, clementines), unsweetened apple sauce. Pick up some plastic containers if you're worried about things getting beaten up. I love my plastic containers!
  • Allegi32
    Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You can find a few healthy options at Panda Express...I hear you on Subway, sometimes it's just not appealing.

At Starbucks, they have yogurt and granola parfaits that are delicious! It's a great snack, and a healthier choice than their more fattening bakery and cafe items.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Is it a full Starbucks, or a mainly coffee and pastries Starbucks? The regular stores have "bistro boxes" with things like hardboiled eggs, cheese and fruit, etc.

I haven't checked out my school's food court yet. I haven't seen many (if any) Starbucks cups on campus though, so I'm assuming they don't have one. I am planning on packing a lunch some days though. I have to pack one for my daughter anyway.

easylunchboxes.com - these are GREAT for packing lunches!
  • Kiki_009
    Kiki_009 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was just going to suggest the Bistro Boxes at Starbucks. They're pretty good. My son got the "Protien Bistro Box" today. It was 380 cals and had a hard boiled egg, cheese, bread, peanut butter and fruit. I sampled everything and it was really yummy.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I'd go with Subway (although even their "lo fat" subs seem to contain a lot of sodium) or take a packed lunch.
    To stop things getting squished in your bag, take a lunch box! Doesn't have to be like.. A kids cartoon lunch box, just some tupperware?
    Personally, if I know I'm going to be at school all day, I pack a wholewheat sandwich, a yoghurt and a banana to go with me. Nice energy and brain boosting foods. If you prefer something hot, take a thermos of soup and some bread/fruit?
    It will save you money and save you the stress of examining every little thing at Starbucks for calories/sodium/carbs/whatever.
  • itzjulz
    itzjulz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, Panda Express does have some healthy options! Definitely opt for veggies over rice or noodles, and take a look here at the nutrition info for their dishes: http://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/nutrition.aspx. Stick with the panda bowl and you'll reduce the portion size. String bean chicken or Broccoli beef are good options.

I don't know if Starbucks serves this all day, but their "Perfect Oatmeal" would be a good, filling choice.