Is it better to eat a chocolate bar or go hungry?

Options
I know how crazy this sounds but some of you might understand where I'm coming from

Another poster mentioned that they were having trouble making their calorie minimum for the day and I often find that I'm having the same problem.

I know that it's not good to restrict my calories, but it's not intentional. I've learned to eat healthier foods, in smaller portions and I am simply content on what I eat and when I eat it... If I'm hungry I eat. until I'm full, and then I usually wait a few minutes to see if I can eat some more.

But most days I am short on my calories sometimes alarmingly so, and I try and find something that appeals to me enough to make me want to eat it, without being unhealthy.... most nights I usually end up settling for something healthier that's lower in calories that fills my tummy that wasn't empty so now it's uncomfortable. I wasn't eating for pleasure I was eating because I knew I needed the calories

How wrong would it be to reach for a chocolate bar or a bag of chips? Are empty calories better than none when you are trying to stop your body from going into starvation mode and nothing else works for you?.....

obviously not as a regular part of your diet, and I don't necessarily mean just nutrition either.... What role should things like chocolate bars and chips and CHEESE CAKE play in our lives? When is it going to be "ok" for us to eat them without feeling guilty?

Replies

• Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    CHOCOLATE (chips, cake, etc.). Anything in moderation. I welcome huge deficits because it means I can eat something that I can't "afford" on my calories on other days. I feel like it keeps me in the game. Tell me I can't have it, I want it all the time. Goodies are a routine part of my life.

I think it is depressing to never eat for pleasure. It's unhealthy to NEVER or ALWAYS do it. Moderation. I personally eat whatever I want whenever I want. I just *try* to stay within reason.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Dark chocolate is best... Don't eat the whole bar, save yourself some for tomorrow, and eat better tomorrow.... thus leaving room for your tasty treat! :D
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think a chocolate bar (or part of one) is fine. If you need more than one to meet your calories that is a problem, but a reasonable sized treat is fine (I budget my calories just to have my chocolate!). That said if you want healthier options there are plenty of healthy foods with high calories that can be added to your day: chocolate (especially dark), nuts, nut butters, avocados etc.

Enjoy!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    FYI- I ate about 1300 calories in candybars one night about a month ago. I'm didn't become diabetic, and I didn't die.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I would eat the chocolate bar.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    LMFAO because this is about to become my favorite foods post. I watch sodium STRINGENTLY because I have hypertension. UTZ No salt potato chips are WONDERFUL!! I'll damn sure eat some if I have some calories on the table.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    If I need sweet and I have the calories: dried strawberries (not freeze dried)

If I need salt: roasted & salted fava/broadbeans. Even my 10yo loves these.

I also might down a couple "almond crunch" which is squares of almonds and some kind of syrup (6 pieces for 156 cals).

I get these all at the bulk food store.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Also, dessert like cookies, cheesecake, etc. should be treated like a special dessert - which should not be a daily staple for your lifestyle! You can train yourself to have a little bit of cheesecake or chocolate once every other day, and you WILL see the difference.

Take it one step at a time, you won't become a pro overnight. None of us will!

Encourage yourself to eat only one dark chocolate square a day. Many really good brands sell squares individually. In the frozen foods section, your store may also carry cheesecake bites - single bite-sized pieces of cheesecake that you can eat, just one a day.

You can still enjoy those things, but teaching yourself to change your portions will be a better benefit if you're a sweet-tooth, and you WILL see a big difference! =)
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Interesting quandary.

I guess the answer will depend on the individual and their circumstances

EG:

If you can fit in a chocolate bar or bag of chips into your day and your nutrition is otherwise good, you are keeping fit and health and it fits within your goal, I have no objection to it personally.

If you are over goal for the day and you have self control issues (particularly with respect to junk food) then no.

Then again, there are times when EVEN if you you are not within goal etc, a piece of chocolate or chips is not going to hurt.

Obviously your goals are paramount too. Is it safe to consume such items due to health issues? Are you competing in an elite sport or upcoming bodybuilding competition?

I don't mean to be flippant but you are likely going to be the best person to answer the question for yourself.
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    I run into the same thing quite often. I don't think you should feel guilty for eating a chocolate bar now and then...especially if you are still meeting calorie goals, not going over, and getting the bulk of your calories from good stuff.

A good way to have a high calorie snack is nuts/peanut butter...they are not super filling, good for you, and yummy.

But hey, if you have the spare calories, and you want a snickers, have at it! I do, fairly often, and I've consistently maintained for months.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Eat the chocolate bar. And for anyone that reads this and then thread #2170065 about "I can't eat that many calories!!", this is excellent advice.
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I quite often have a few squares of goof quality dark chocolate at the end of the day when I have calories left over, it's actually very good for you :)

Maybe try eating a few more higher fat/calorie foods during the day. Avocados, nuts and dairy are all higher in calories but are really good for you. Your body will be more nourished but you don't have to stuff yourself full of food.

It's ok to treat yourself sometimes, but it's not a good idea to get in to the habit of eating chips and cakes every day just to raise your calories - better to do it with healthy foods.
  • JenTracey
    JenTracey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OMG you have lost a lot of weight! Congrats! Is it really that bad to be calorie deficent? I am every day, but I am still oosing weight.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Keep your calorie deficit.

Hit your macros.

Exercise hard.

Eat what you like after that. i have chocolate every day, and dessert every day, as i make room for them with my cals.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't even crave that crap anymore... My palate has changed so much since losing all my weight and the change in my diet (lifestyle) has changed so much I would sooner reach for good fats like almonds or pistachios or even fruits for that matter. I just don't see the point in eating empty calories anymore. That junk was the reason I once weighed 560 lbs. and damn near killed me. Food to me now is just fuel to allow me to live my life and get me through my exercise session, nothing more..... But to each his own... If you want to eat it than that is your choice........ :-)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

How wrong would it be to reach for a chocolate bar or a bag of chips?

In the context of a well balanced diet and in the presence of a tooth brush, not wrong at all.
    Are empty calories better than none when you are trying to stop your body from going into starvation mode and nothing else works for you?.....

I don't think chocolate or potato chips are completely void of all things beneficial. They just don't have a lot of benefit compared to something of similar macro composition but less "junky". For example, the same quantity of vegetables.

Also, I think there's a rather foggy gray area when you say "trying to stop you body from going into starvation mode". Eating very low calorie intakes for a few days isn't going to suddenly halt your metabolism.

Additionally, assuming it takes weeks under-eating to actually do metabolic damage, at the point that you're doing it for this long of a time, the bigger question becomes "Why are you letting it get to this point" rather than "should I eat the candy bar".

I'm not trying to dodge your question but it would sort of be like me posting on the bodybuilding forums: "Hey dudes if you get your dong caught in the low-cable when you're doing seated rows, is it better to yank it in one swoop or should I get a spotter to pull the stack a few inches and see if it just flops out on its own?"

The answer is: That shouldn't happen.

Now again, I'm not saying don't eat chocolate or don't eat junk to fill your calories. I'm actually a big believer in junk food in moderation, sometimes to the point that other people get irritated with my posts. What I'm getting at is that "here and there" under-eating isn't going to put you in a "chocolate or starvation mode" situation.

onward:

What role should things like chocolate bars and chips and CHEESE CAKE play in our lives?

If you enjoy these things then the ideal role, in my opinion, is for you to have the willpower to eat these in moderation and stay within your calorie and macro totals and while being very conscious of your dietary needs when you make THE OTHER food choices for the day. (Fit in a piece of cake, get good nutrients elsewhere throughout the day).

EDIT: Let me make an important distinction so I don't overly-irritate certain folks: I'm not claiming that the ability to eat in moderation is entirely willpower based. Perhaps I should say "ability" in the above paragraph and not willpower. Point I'm getting at is that ideally, the role of these foods, if you truly enjoy them, is that they are to be consumed without guilt but without excess.

When is it going to be "ok" for us to eat them without feeling guilty?

When your relationship with food becomes healthy enough to do so.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think to fill that void of calories it's not such a great idea, you could fill that void in other ways really easily. Drizzle olive oil on stuff and eat full fat items and full calorie items throughout your day and *magic*, you'll have hit your macros and calories all too easily.

But if you really want the chocolate and are saving the calories for it, then by all means, indulge! I used to eat a chocolate bar quite often, saving calories throughout my day to allow for it. I lost a lot of weight doing that. Now I really want to fill my day with 'fuel', so I eat almonds and eggs to eat up my calories instead. I do have a chocolate bar once a week (sometimes twice!), but it's actually a protein bar!! They are really junky too IMO, but at least then I've gotten a little protein (20g) and some carbs in (I need my carbs, I'm a distance-ish runner!!).

Anyway, hope that helps... you have done spectacularly well, you know the right answer... dig deep!!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I don't even crave that crap anymore... My palate has changed so much since losing all my weight and the change in my diet (lifestyle) has changed so much I would sooner reach for good fats like almonds or pistachios or even fruits for that matter. I just don't see the point in eating empty calories anymore. That junk was the reason I once weighed 560 lbs. and damn near killed me. Food to me now is just fuel to allow me to live my life and get me through my exercise session, nothing more..... But to each his own... If you want to eat it than that is your choice........ :-)

It's not so much that I crave that crap, to be honest I NEVER ate chocolate before, I've never been a sweets person.... but I do enjoy it now on occaision. Maybe because it IS a new treat for me it can still tempt me where other foods don't. The ultimate decider for me usually ends up being, I can use the calories! lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's certainly OK to eat chocolate or cheesecake - but if you are way under your recommended calories then you would be better finding something that gives you some actual nutrition. Eating too low puts you at risk of missing out on important nutrition and energy, and filling up the gaps with something with not nutritional value isn't necessarily the best idea.

I'm not sure if this will make sense - what I'm trying to say is that if you have eaten plenty (ie most of your calorie allowance) of nutritional food, then filling in with something that you'll enjoy but doesn't give you much nutritional value is great.
    If your calories are very low already, then your nutrition is going to be very low - so choose wisely before you start adding chocolate.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options

How wrong would it be to reach for a chocolate bar or a bag of chips?

In the context of a well balanced diet and in the presence of a tooth brush, not wrong at all.
    Are empty calories better than none when you are trying to stop your body from going into starvation mode and nothing else works for you?.....

I don't think chocolate or potato chips are completely void of all things beneficial. They just don't have a lot of benefit compared to something of similar macro composition but less "junky". For example, the same quantity of vegetables.

Also, I think there's a rather foggy gray area when you say "trying to stop you body from going into starvation mode". Eating very low calorie intakes for a few days isn't going to suddenly halt your metabolism.

Additionally, assuming it takes weeks under-eating to actually do metabolic damage, at the point that you're doing it for this long of a time, the bigger question becomes "Why are you letting it get to this point" rather than "should I eat the candy bar".

When I say that I mean that I've been concentrating on losing weight for so long that by the time I lifted my head up and realised it I was having a hard time making my 1200 calorie minimum and that's when I started reaching for candy bars and granola bars to load up my calories in the evenings (which I know is the worst time to eat)

I'm not trying to dodge your question but it would sort of be like me posting on the bodybuilding forums: "Hey dudes if you get your dong caught in the low-cable when you're doing seated rows, is it better to yank it in one swoop or should I get a spotter to pull the stack a few inches and see if it just flops out on its own?"

( I have no idea what this means lol )

The answer is: That shouldn't happen.

I will take your word on that :)

Now again, I'm not saying don't eat chocolate or don't eat junk to fill your calories. I'm actually a big believer in junk food in moderation, sometimes to the point that other people get irritated with my posts. What I'm getting at is that "here and there" under-eating isn't going to put you in a "chocolate or starvation mode" situation.

onward:

What role should things like chocolate bars and chips and CHEESE CAKE play in our lives?

If you enjoy these things then the ideal role, in my opinion, is for you to have the willpower to eat these in moderation and stay within your calorie and macro totals and while being very conscious of your dietary needs when you make THE OTHER food choices for the day. (Fit in a piece of cake, get good nutrients elsewhere throughout the day).

I have to convince myself to finish the damn bar they are so sweet, excess is not the problem :)

EDIT: Let me make an important distinction so I don't overly-irritate certain folks: I'm not claiming that the ability to eat in moderation is entirely willpower based. Perhaps I should say "ability" in the above paragraph and not willpower. Point I'm getting at is that ideally, the role of these foods, if you truly enjoy them, is that they are to be consumed without guilt but without excess.

When is it going to be "ok" for us to eat them without feeling guilty?

When your relationship with food becomes healthy enough to do so.