Protein and Vegetarianism

Options
Is there anyone else here who is a vegetarian and struggles to find good foods with protein, or can give suggestions non meat products to eat with protein? I read here that sufficiant protein is essential to weight loss and muscle gain, but what way can I incorprate it into my diet if I don't eat meat or fish?

Replies

• Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I turned vegan about 3 weeks ago and I get my protein from foods like lentils, tofu, falafel etc

But I'm just a newbie so lol best you get more info from someone who's been a vegie for a while :)
  • reneegd
    reneegd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegan for roughly 9 yrs now and the protien you are looking for is in things like beans/legumes, nuts, nut butter (peanut; almond etc.), tofu, seitan, and edemame. There are a lot of meat substitutes out there for almost everything like veggie burgers, tofurkey and fake chicken nuggets. If you are a vegetarian things are more diverse because dairy is included and perhaps eggs if you eat those as well. So cheese, yogurt, and milk are all protein sources. You could look into some protein bars and shakes to help aid in supplementing your protein intake.
  • thesameas
    thesameas Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm definetly going to go out and purchase some more (unsalted) nuts, tofu and beans to eat with meals and snacks. I've loved most of these for a long time but they've not really been around the house before. Three out of the five people in my family are vegetarian but my brother and father both dislke tofu and nuts, and rarely eat beans. Fake sausages/bacon ect have been in our house for a while now, my brother likes them especially. I have to watch how much of those I eat though because quite a few contain a lot of fat to make them taste nice.

I've also loved the lentil soup I've had before, I should look up a good recipe and cook it for dinner one night soon.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll definetly put these on the shopping list tonight :)