HIIT-thoughts??

Options
I've been reading up on High intensity interval training and intermittent fasting, wondering if anyone does this and your thoughts on it. What has been your experience?

Replies

• jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article on HIIT and am thinking of trying it out just to see how well it really works. Sounds good and it sounds challenging which is always a good motivator.
  • clairejasmine78
    clairejasmine78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just did turbo jam HIIT 30 tonight, but have done other interval training before. Love it and it works great. My favorite are bootcamp style intervals that combine strength, plyometrics and cardio.
  • Kevww1982
    Options
    HIIT is great. I do it every other day and the off days I lift weights. I run for 1 min and walk for 1 for a total of 30+ min but sometimes change it up like add an incline or longer duration.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    LOVE HIIT - no interest in fasting.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    My experience has been to do HIIT (I do Insanity, personally) and eat every possible morsel of those exercise calories as you can. Don't try to do it on less than 1,200 calories a day unless you want to lose more muscle than you do fat and ultimately shoot your metabolism to hell. I've been on Insanity for 3 weeks, and it's taken about that long for the scale to start moving. But those first weeks work a lot of muscles you haven't before and they need to repair and so water will be retained to aid in the process. You just stick with it and then the body will start doing it's thing and you'll see awesome results. I'm working harder and digging deeper by working out and eating MORE, but still losing weight and fat! Who'd have thunk?
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! I do my HIIT through bodyrock.tv, at home, with no equipment, for free. Most workouts are under 15 minutes long, but I do the warm up and cool down, too. I prefer the old host- Zuzana's workouts, and usually do the archived stuff, over the new hosts stuff... but the new stuff is good, and they're currently doing a 30-day challenge. If I do a workout in the morning, I feel my metabolism burning all day.. and I lose my weight a heck of a lot faster than doing my kickboxing or zumba alone.
  • tiffanepiphany
    tiffanepiphany Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    HIIT totally works and burns fat. It worked very well for me in the past. Right now I'm doing regular walk/jog intervals to build myself back up gradually to be able to do HIIT. Did it 3x a week and saw a big difference in actually fat loss versus "weight loss".

Did all out sprints (as fast as I could go) for 30 seconds and walked for 1 min to 1.5mins.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    coincidentally I do both. As well as other exercise types also. Yes I like both.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do one or two interval runs a week. i do it on the treadmill, because i can keep better track of the speed and time. 6.5 mph for 2 minutes, and then 1 minute at 8.5 mph.

yeah, its a sick burn. i'll do it for about 15 minutes and just be dripping in sweat after.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    l like HIIT because you get it over with faster! Not a big fan of cardio, so I like being able to just bust butt for 20 - 30 minutes instead of 60 - 90. Then you have time to do something else!
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    I consistantly lose a lot of weight every week and I think my HIIT treadmill sessions help a lot!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I do HIT but I would never do the fasting I rather have high quality good nutrient in my body. Depends on the meaning of your fasting I guess like staying away from certain foods yes I have done that but I always replace it with other or equal replacements at the time.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    thoughts? Do it!! One of the best work outs for burning fat. Also check out tabata training.

Don't know about the fasting. I eat, a lot.
  • ncates00
    Options
    I'm with Hiker. I do Insanity and P90X, P90X+, and the 1-on-1's. Works great. Getting your heart rate up and keeping it in your zone for longer periods of time boosts your results and improves performance over time. Workouts alone aren't the answer though. Dialing in nutrition is even more important.
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    HIIT is the best available workout for burning fat quickly...and more importantly it helps trigger the "afterburn effect" that helps burn calories even 24-48 hours after the workout...

really effective HIIT last about 15-20 mins and should not be done more than 3 times a week...

key is hitting the high intensity for the "burst" period...and jogging/resting on the "rest" period

I usually do a pyramid HIIT...

5 min warmup....
    30 sec sprint @ 10-12 mph
    30 sec rest @4-5 mph
    45 sec sprint @ 10-12 mph
    45 sec rest
    60 sec sprint
    60 sec rest
    75 sec sprint
    75 sec rest
    90 sec sprint
    90 sec rest

60 sec rest

90 sec sprint
    90 sec rest.
    30 sec sprint
    30 sec rest...

5 min cool down...

all in all takes about 30-35 mins with rest included....

another variation is a tabata workout thats very popular too...
    it consists of 30 sec sprint and rest sets for 4-5 mins....
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i do one or two interval runs a week. i do it on the treadmill, because i can keep better track of the speed and time. 6.5 mph for 2 minutes, and then 1 minute at 8.5 mph.

yeah, its a sick burn. i'll do it for about 15 minutes and just be dripping in sweat after.

I would fall off
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm all for HIIT, don't do it as much as I should. Fasting? Don't really see a benefit to it. I've fasted for other reasons, but none of them because I thought it would help weight loss or make me more fit.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I do walk/run intervals also... 1:2 ratio, like run 1, walk 2, run 1, walk 2.

Also IF some days, not lots though. Just when it feels right to do so. I'll go half a day... like wake up, no breakfast, and eat sometime around 2pm or so.
  • tamaradarlene
    tamaradarlene Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to set the treadmill to automatically speed up ever 30 sec (or whatever interval) or do you just manually adjust it constantly? Any tips for that? Great feedback people, thanks!
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I do 20 mins on the elliptical, 10 minutes on the rower and then 20 mins of intervals on the bike... I do 90s - 2min of slow pedalling, and 30s of giving it everything I've got. It's pretty intense, sometimes I can't finish the entire 20 minutes. I then switch the bike into cooldown mode and finish up.

If I'm doing weights that day, I do it after the elliptical.