Kettlebells

Options
I'd like to hear from anybody who works out with kettlebells. Or more specifically, the Kettleworx program. I've been reading a lot about that program lately. Thinking I might splurge when I get my tax refunds back soon. Any experienced users who care to share opinions/results? Thanks!!!

Replies

• runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew something about it. I've seen kettlebells and wondered about them. It seems like it would be easy to get momentum up in some of the swinging type exercises I've seen done with them. Can't wait to see what some of responses are!
  • ValHallaGirl
    ValHallaGirl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well!
  • khoolette
    Options
    I just got a set of kettlebells and also Jillian Michaels' Kettlebell DVD. I like it so far. She explains that it's so great a workout, because it combines cardio and strength at the same time. I started with a 5lb then went to a 10lb bell. I find that I am not ready for anything higher than 10lbs yet. It gets heavy after 15-20 minutes of the workout. I have not been able to figure out how to record or figure the calories burned during the workout though. It's not in the MFP system. Interestingly, someone told me that our local ALDI store was selling a 3-kettlebell set for $24.99 and the Jillian MIchaels' DVD at BIG LOTS for $5 so I went to those places and sure enough ...there they were. I loved getting a whole new workout system for $30!
  • paulettei
    Options
    i don't know anything about Kettlebells. My local YMCA offers a class and I was thinking of checking it out. I go to a zumba class 2 days a week and I love that. You can burn up to 600 calories per class. I am totally addicted.
  • RachelLovesHockey
    Options
    I got a 10 pound kettlebell that came with a Bob Harper dvd a couple months ago. The first time I used it it was so fun I did the video twice and then did some additional squats. I could hardly get into/out of a sitting position for 2 days afterwards b/c my legs and rear end were super sore. I'd say go for it and get a kettlebell, just be careful not to overdo it like I did.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just started a kettle bell class last week and love it! Very easy to get the hang of and easy to incorporate into a home routine. It is a fabulous workout. I plan on getting some dvd's in the future...will check out Kettleworks
  • sharleneloveless
    sharleneloveless Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get it!! Don't think twice. I've tried it ALL and I mean it. I'm on week 4 of kettleworx right now and can't even express in words how effective it is. I'm 4 months postpartum and am seeing muscles already. I'm gonna do the 6 week plan over again when I'm done with a heavier weight.

So in 4 weeks I lost almost ten pounds (of the last 15, which is the hardest part). I wish i could have all my hours of pilates and yoga dvd's back and just done this! I'll post pics in 2 weeks. But honestly I really recommend it.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I love my Kettlebell. I have one at home, and only have one video so I don't do it often but it's a great workout. Really good for the core. If you're doing it at home, make sure you have a lot of room. My husband had a little incident with our sliding glass doors. Luckily it didn't break....but easily could have!

Mine was just a $25ish set from Target...nothing fancy.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts can be incredible. Technique is the priority. I HIGHLY recommend you visit the ArtofStrength website, and check out their DVDs. The problem with celebrity trainers kicking out these DVDs, is that they likely don't have enough background with the exercises, and that can get you in big trouble with kettlebells. Stick with trainers who have been in the KB business for decades, and not just throwing their name on something for marketing and profit.

That being said, you can get a killer workout with just a few KBs. I recommend avoiding those rubber coated ones, as the rubber can pull on your arm hair in some movements. You probably only need a 5 and 10 pounder in the beginning. Remember, you are working on technique, so you want lighter weights until you master the moves.

KBs really hammer your core, and create great bi-lateral strength. Plus, with the right workout, will keep your HR up pretty high. Tonight I was doing single-hand swings with a 60lb KB, and my HR was in the 160s for the 10 rep sets!

have fun, and be safe.
  • onecrazyredhead
    onecrazyredhead Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just bought Kettle Worx. Waiting for to come in the mail.
  • JayPeazy
    JayPeazy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just got a set of kettlebells and also Jillian Michaels' Kettlebell DVD. I like it so far. She explains that it's so great a workout, because it combines cardio and strength at the same time. I started with a 5lb then went to a 10lb bell. I find that I am not ready for anything higher than 10lbs yet. It gets heavy after 15-20 minutes of the workout. I have not been able to figure out how to record or figure the calories burned during the workout though. It's not in the MFP system. Interestingly, someone told me that our local ALDI store was selling a 3-kettlebell set for $24.99 and the Jillian MIchaels' DVD at BIG LOTS for $5 so I went to those places and sure enough ...there they were. I loved getting a whole new workout system for $30!

AWESOME! My wife and I just got the Aldi kettlebells...gonna have to get Jillian's DVD now!
  • abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    after reading all the responses i am trying a kettlebell class thursday at my campus rec.. cant wait :-D
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    +1 for Art of Strength. They also make top quality US-made kettlebells. Dragon Door is another source of good kettlebells as well as books and videos from the original Russian who helped popularize them in the US: Pavel Tsatsouline.

As Trail Addict said, I probably wouldn't want one with a rubber coating either. And some of the Chinese made kettlebells have been proven to contain lead and cadmium in the metal coatings that have poisoned people after repeated heavy use. I provided a link to one such article below:
    http://artofstrength.squarespace.com/poison-bells/
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AiryM
    AiryM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell workouts can be incredible. Technique is the priority. I HIGHLY recommend you visit the ArtofStrength website, and check out their DVDs. The problem with celebrity trainers kicking out these DVDs, is that they likely don't have enough background with the exercises, and that can get you in big trouble with kettlebells. Stick with trainers who have been in the KB business for decades, and not just throwing their name on something for marketing and profit.

That being said, you can get a killer workout with just a few KBs. I recommend avoiding those rubber coated ones, as the rubber can pull on your arm hair in some movements. You probably only need a 5 and 10 pounder in the beginning. Remember, you are working on technique, so you want lighter weights until you master the moves.

KBs really hammer your core, and create great bi-lateral strength. Plus, with the right workout, will keep your HR up pretty high. Tonight I was doing single-hand swings with a 60lb KB, and my HR was in the 160s for the 10 rep sets!

have fun, and be safe.

I totally agree. I work out with kettle bells 2-3x a week and even a 15lb one kicks my *kitten*.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses! Haven't read them completely, skimmed thru real quick, as I gotta get to work. But haven't seen any negative posts yet! Can't wait to read ALL of the responses. You guys/ladies are all great here!!!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Love my kettlebells! I haven't tried Kettle Worx, but I have programs by the big Russian Guy (Kettlebell Goddess?) and another program. I never realize what a workout it is until the next day!