Help! I am going to the gym for the first time....

Options
And I have no idea what to expect what to do where to start. I am already intimadated and I havent even gone yet. Any advice, tips, or a started exersice guide for first timers?

Replies

• PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Can you not book an induction session with a personal trainer who can guide you and assist you with what you need to reach your goals?
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    This might help. It has a weekly routine all laid out for you that tells you number of sets, reps, etc and also has built in cardio and rest days. I think this is a great start for a beginner and you can make it as difficult as you want as you get stronger by increasing the weights.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/female-20to39-fat-loss/training
  • cardiojunkiemom
    Options
    Start off walking on the treadmill or go to a low impact class like Pilates, zumba gold or aerobics. Most gyms offer a one on one intro to using the equipment in weight room. :smile:
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If you can, or if your gym has it, I suggest you see if there is a worker around that can help you and show you how the equipment is used and show you how to properly do exercises (like weights).

Make sure to stretch, stretch, stretch so you don't get any injuries :) (but warm up those muscles first with maybe a few jogs around the track if your gym has it or a quick run on the treadmill)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I use the Women's Health Big Book of Exercises when I first started working out. I loved it! Helps you design a variety of routines to target all the major muscle groups using different combinations of exercises.
  • AIiciaIrene87
    Options
    I suggest a trainer session or going to a gym that a friend goes to. It can be tough...I go to an all women's gym which is less intimidating as well.

Once you get there and get into your workout/music/books/magazine it will fly by...or at least it does for me.

hope this helps and good luck!!
  • purplepunker321
    purplepunker321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im checking out the weekly routine now. It seems very helpful thanks alot.

And they do offer a training session but the trainers schedual and mine do not match. I am trying to find a time to at least have 1 session. but i wanted an idea of what to expect before i head there.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i got this book for Christmas....New Rules of Lifting...it's really great. It gives you step by step instructions. It will definitely help u gain confidence because you'll start out slow and go up from there. We even have a group here u cld join...!
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Go slow, take it easy until you get everything (joints/muscle) lubed up good. I did everyday the first week and followed the gym workout log sheet then I started my heavy lifting, chest and triceps on day 1, back and biceps day 2, legs and shoulders day 3 and day 4 off. Then start over again.
  • purplepunker321
    purplepunker321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone all of your coments are really helping. and i will have to look in to that book.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I highly recommend hiring a personal trainer for the first couple of months at least. I'm not new to the gym, but I find I'm confused and intimidated by it.

Cardio is pretty self explanatory, but the circuit machines confuse me and I feel embarrassed using them. I figured if I was going to pay for the membership, I better learn how to use it or I would end up not going.

It helps having someone there guiding you through it, then you can fly on your own when you're comfortable.
  • hellosunshine88
    Options
    This might help. It has a weekly routine all laid out for you that tells you number of sets, reps, etc and also has built in cardio and rest days. I think this is a great start for a beginner and you can make it as difficult as you want as you get stronger by increasing the weights.

This!!
    I've never seen this site before but that is a GREAT plan :) Thanks!!
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you may feel a bit overwhelmed if it's your first time...it's a new environment, lots of people, lots going on - any environment like this can be overwhelming! there are so many machines, and you may not know where everything is....even if you can't meet with a trainer, i'd suggest asking someone at the front desk to give you a tour, show you were the locker room is, point out the general area of the machines, so cardio, weights, etc...rooms where classes are held.
    once you get your bearings, you'll be fine!! just take some music, focus on your body and what it's telling you! something low impact like the treadmill as others suggested is a good idea to start. see how you feel after that. just take it step by step!! you'll be loving it in no time!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options

This!!
    I've never seen this site before but that is a GREAT plan :) Thanks!!

That's a great site and that link helped me get started even though I didn't have a gym membership. I was able to look up alternate exercises on the site for the same muscle groups that I could do at home with dumbells or my own body weight. You can tweak it to your needs and trust me after a few weeks of this you should definitely see results.
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    http://www.crankyfitness.com/2007/07/first-time-at-gym-how-not-to-make-*kitten*.html

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/u/workouts.htm

Make sure you do both cardio and strength training. The gym can be kind of intimidating at first, but remember everyone is there for the same basic reasons, and the majority don't actually fall into the egotistical ahole category. When I first joined my gym, I barely left the cardio area because that's where i felt most comfortable. I worked out with a few trainers and really learned what to do and today I noticed I was the only female in the "free weights" room. :)

Good Luck! :) Let us know how it goes! :)
  • kimmieruns
    Options
    It can seem intimidating at first, but remember that most people in the gym are just like you and are not judging you. Once you spend a little time there and get acquainted with the layout and equipment you will feel more comfortable. It's kind of like the first day of school, but it gets easier the more you do it ... really! :-)

Don't be afraid to ask a gym employee to show you how to use the machines, it's part of their job to make sure you know how to use the equipment, they don't want anyone getting hurt. If you can afford even just one session with a personal trainer (about $40-$65 depending where you live) they can show you a routine that you can do on your own thereafter. Again, don't be afraid to be honest and let them know you can only see them once (if that's the case) so they can make sure they give you a routine/plan to work from. A good trainer should be happy to do that. It helps to write it all down, so you go in with a plan each time.

If your gym has classes like Zumba, kickboxing or step, that can be a fun way to get moving. If you feel self-conscious, make sure the instructor (and the whole class) knows it's your first time and that will help take the pressure off. When everyone knows you're a newbie, they don't expect you to know the steps, moves, etc.

Remember, every person in your gym was new there too at some point! Good luck and have fun!